Publishing Poems

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Publishing Poems

Postby ostarella » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:56 am

I offered a resource that might be helpful. Writer's Market is undoubtedly good, but that shouldn't negate other sources of information. Until one has written enough in any area (poetry, fiction, non-fiction, genre or literary) to know if one really wants to pursue that course - ie, if you don't know if you really want to write something or not - what good does it do knowing the details of publishing it? It's putting the cart before the horse. A general understanding is more than enough to start with.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:18 pm

[/quote="ostarella"]I offered a resource that might be helpful. Writer's Market is undoubtedly good, but that shouldn't negate other sources of information. Until one has written enough in any area (poetry, fiction, non-fiction, genre or literary) to know if one really wants to pursue that course - ie, if you don't know if you really want to write something or not - what good does it do knowing the details of publishing it? It's putting the cart before the horse. A general understanding is more than enough to start with.[/quote]
===

i was replying to what was asked in the OP

kris0707
Private E-2

Postby kris0707 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:28 pm

The site Ostarella sent definitely gave me a good overview and better understanding of what it's like to publish poems. I will still be taking a look at Wrieter's Market as well, but I really needed that overview more than I realized. Was very helpful. Thank you to both of you! :)

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Just going over some of my old bookmarks and remembered there is another avenue for getting your poetry "published" - or at least getting paid for it :) = greeting cards. Some companies pay amazingly well for this, but of course you need to do the same sort of research for scams and reputation for paying etc.

kris0707
Private E-2

Postby kris0707 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:44 pm

That's a really good idea, thanks! Yeah, it's amazing how many scams are out there. Really gotta be careful. I appreciate the help. =D

Previous

Return to Tips and Advice