[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Weekly Update Schedule & Quality Control : Tips and Advice • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Weekly Update Schedule & Quality Control

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
williamadams

Re: Weekly Update Schedule & Quality Control

Postby williamadams » Fri May 19, 2017 11:09 am

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 am

[quote="williamadams"]

how do you know they are right until you see everything and can make sure the big picture makes sense and flows logically[/quote]

By paying attention to what I've already written and considering what different avenues I could logically take. Again, some can work without an outline, some can't. Writers try various methods until they find what works for them.
Last edited by ostarella on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Fri May 19, 2017 12:58 pm

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sat May 20, 2017 12:21 am

[quote="williamadams"]
but to minimise the risk if you dont use an outline it would be better to finish the novel before you start posting chapters
and they should do that anyway just from a quality perspective so they are not rushed to meet an arbitrary date for posting[/quote]

Well, there's no point for a writer like me to finish the whole novel before posting, because when I finish a chapter, it's done. I don't go back and start changing things because I decided to follow some bright shiny object - if I'm paying attention to what I've already written, there's no reason for it. And again, as I noted, one needs to set their schedule with flexibility built in, and that ensures nothing gets rushed for a deadline that doesn't work.
Last edited by ostarella on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sat May 20, 2017 12:05 pm

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sat May 20, 2017 1:58 pm

[quote="williamadams"]you are one of the lucky ones who can write that way
to many of us would write a chapter into a dead end and polish it up
then later discover we need to completely remove it and go in a different direction for the sake of the story[/quote]

And for writers who can't do it the way I (and many others) do it, they need to find a different method. This is nothing new - I have always said that writers need to experiment to find out what method works best for them, that there is no "one size fits all". I have seen many writers here and on other forums who outline/plan meticulously before writing one word, and still have multiple drafts/rewrites before they consider the story completed. That, IMO, points out that no method is foolproof. Each writer decides which method works best for them; it doesn't matter whether it works for someone else or not.

Previous

Return to Tips and Advice