Understanding sociopaths & their role in our writing & lives

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
JohnatWrM
Private E-1

Understanding sociopaths & their role in our writing & lives

Postby JohnatWrM » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:30 am

Hey guys, I posted the first part to the article "Sociopaths: What really makes people (and characters) ‘bad’ or ‘evil’ (or sometimes just brilliant)" and now I'd like to share the second part of it with you all!

"Understanding sociopaths and their role in our writing and lives" keeps the analysis of sociopaths and sociopathic characters going, and hopefully it helps with your guys' writing.

Anyway, here's the first couple of paragraphs for a teaser - follow the link for the full article... Enjoy and let me know what you think!

In my first article about this, I looked at what a sociopath is, what distinguishes them from a “psychopath” (sometimes!), and some of the real-world implications of these differences. Now I’m going to explore deeper into what difference these insights can bring to our lives and particularly our writing.

What makes someone become a sociopath?

As far as I can tell, there are no good answers to this, just some correlating factors, so instead of anything scientifically tested, here’s my two cents.

I think that a sociopath is not medically different from other human beings in any clinical way. Maybe any of us could have turned into one. Instead, a sociopath is someone who makes a decision – in a specific situation, probably early in life – that “They don’t understand me and they never will.” (The ‘they’ may initially be their parents or peers or teachers or whoever, but it grows into a much more encompassing view of ‘everyone else’ over time.) This opinion becomes entrenched by actions and interpretations of what happens in life, because of the self-affirming bias that we know all human beings are subject to. It’s been well demonstrated, for example, how someone who makes little lies can quickly become desensitized to lying, and their lies can grow ever greater regardless of whether they’ve been ‘found out’ by others. (And lying is often a ‘classic sociopathic behavior’.)

Full article: http://writemovies.com/understanding-so ... and-lives/

Return to Tips and Advice