Need advice about word 'Enforcements' definition...

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
HawkEliz489
Private E-2

Need advice about word 'Enforcements' definition...

Postby HawkEliz489 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:20 am

Hi guys.
I am coming up with the fictional military acronym, and the last letters I came up with consist of 'Resistance Enforcements'. I have googled and searched many fictional acronyms and word combinations, but the word 'enforcements' makes me sort of doubtful. I researched the detailed definition of the word, and looked into synonyms. Yet, I'm not sure if it is the right word to mix up with the word 'Resistance' or anything else, really. Since, when I search online it mostly comes up as 'Law Enforcements'. Now I'm not very acknowledged with military words and slangs, or whatever... So what I'm wondering about, is it believable combination (for a fictional militia) to combine the words of Resistance Enforcements instead of Law Enforcements?
Thank you.
“Do I look like the leader of this merry band of misfits?”

robjvargas
Captain

Re: Need advice about word 'Enforcements' definition...

Postby robjvargas » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:38 am

I have no context for the use of that term. So I can't speak to the legitimacy of it. Maybe just go with it while you write the story and research later to see if it works? Unless the acronym is crucial to the story, I don't see a need to worry about it right now.

I will say that military acronyms aren't always single letter. For example:

ComSubLantFlt is for the Commander, Submarine Fleet, Atlantic.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:39 am

You're the writer, the creator. Do the words "Resistance Enforcements" define what this group does? Then use it. If it doesn't, then just use whatever words do, and make the acronym from that. (To me, without context, it means added troups for either defensive forces or offensive forces, depending on which side of the war the group is on.)

This seems like a good example of over-thinking.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:52 pm

It might be a good choice if you are going for irony.
enforcement |enˈfôrsmənt|
noun
the act of compelling observance of or compliance with a law, rule, or obligation: the strict enforcement of environmental regulations.

that plus resistance is amusing.
resistance |riˈzistəns|
noun
1 the refusal to accept or comply with something; the attempt to prevent something by action or argument: she put up no resistance to being led away.

Return to Tips and Advice