[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Writing—know just when the story starts to get interesting : Tips and Advice • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Writing—know just when the story starts to get interesting

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Re: Writing—know just when the story starts to get interesti

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:56 pm

Blow up the bridge?!

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:35 pm

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:04 pm

Blow up the bridge?!

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:48 pm

Ahhh. Just enjoyed a hot shower. Always clears my head.

Here's a question I'll tack on to the previous three posts or so. Really, isn't this whole approach (three people, deserted island, humanity killed off, etc) just stating the following?

"A bad audience is better than... no audience at all"

If I have summarized it correctly then, you see why it 'doesn't do anything for me'.

I'd always want to compare a weak audience with a strong one. Level playing field. Not 'an audience' (versus) 'vast, empty, hypothetical space'. I'd hope we all agree that presence of an audience or not, man still searches for expression, and does so regardless of onlookers.
Blow up the bridge?!

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:18 pm

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:02 am

I don't think there's such a thing as a "bad" audience. There is the wrong audience - meaning you're aiming for the wrong group of readers (author's fault); there is a small audience - meaning your book only appeals to a small (not necessarily elite) group of readers. There is the right audience - the readers your work is actually meant for; there is a large audience - meaning a book has something about it that appeals to a lot of people (which, not surprisingly, only makes them stupid if it's not your book). :roll:
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:04 am

"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

HawkEliz489
Private E-2

Postby HawkEliz489 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:52 am

Personally, I like instant hooks in stories, but I also don't mind if I don't get an instant ones either. I mean, not everything should start excitingly to catch your eyes, right? I think everything depends on the story itself and the structure, about how the story demands to be said. I think that's what should make book good on it's own, you'll never know when it surprises you.. now I'm not talking to make story interesting right in the middle or the end, my point is that I don't mind if I have to wait chapter or two to get hooked if of course story demands it.
As an example, as much as I like The Lord of the Rings movies, I can't say I was able to finish the books, even though I really want to and I might still try. I mean, it's admiring how all the details are thought of, but honestly I was reading and reading in hopes to be hooked, I reached the middle of the book and still was not very much into it. Too much descriptions and slow pacing kind of hushed those exciting scenes for me. I don't know if I remember correctly, but I think the book also contained such uninteresting scenes as to when and how characters have had dinner, or where they stopped to rest and all those small details of unnecessary stuffs... now I'm not saying there should not be those kind of scenes in which characters might rest and talk about something else beside the main goal they have, I mean, it's kind of fun and gives more realistic feeling, but LOTR had too many of those details and personally I don't think I reached that Hooking point to catch on.
“Do I look like the leader of this merry band of misfits?”

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:16 am

"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

HawkEliz489
Private E-2

Postby HawkEliz489 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:05 am

“Do I look like the leader of this merry band of misfits?”

Previous

Return to Tips and Advice