[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Has anyone here worked on a coffee table book before? : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Has anyone here worked on a coffee table book before?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Mohamed Ali
Private E-1

Has anyone here worked on a coffee table book before?

Postby Mohamed Ali » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:23 pm

A friend of mine who is a professional photographer proposed we work together on a coffee table book about my home country. He's a portrait photographer and likes to tell stories through people. I'm sort of acting as my friend's guide and writer on this project since he's an expatriate. I suggested we try to capture the essence of each neighborhood through a person in his element. The thing is I've never worked on a book like this so I'm a bit lost as to what the nature of the content is in these kind of books.

here's something I wrote which I thought would be a good way to start the preface.

"Home is a peculiar place, unassuming at first glance, but the initiated know better. This nation, though small, is a microcosm of the regions we are nestled between. In some ways, the whole world can be found here. Every district an emblem of a different epoch, every neighborhood a testament to diversity and tolerance. A story that is never more true nor better told than through the eyes of the people that live here by choice or inheritance."

Thought I'd go through the different areas, ethnicities, ideologies, cultures and subcultures of the people. But that would just be a preface. Any guidance?

LilliesCarol
Colonel

Re: Has anyone here worked on a coffee table book before?

Postby LilliesCarol » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:19 am

I was working on something similar. See my story Mohamed Ali, (which is not you, but the boxer). However, I was told that a coffee table book does not have a great deal of writing, but short captions under the photos telling where the photo was taken and just a short statement about it. The reason being that people display this type of book for guests to peruse while waiting so the guest will have something to do. They may also be found in waiting rooms of doctor's offices, corporate offices, etc. so people or salesmen would have something to occupy their mind while waiting. Perhaps someone else on the forum can answer your question better than I, but that is what I was told. I hope this helps.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

u.v.ray
Private E-2

Postby u.v.ray » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:55 pm

Out from Murder Slim Press:
We Are Glass - Short Stories.
Spiral Out - novella
The Migrant - novella
Black Cradle - novel

Mohamed Ali
Private E-1

Postby Mohamed Ali » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:37 pm

I've read it in the non fiction section, Carol, I quite enjoyed it. No, I don't think there will be a lot of material, but it depends on what the theme we want to incorporate in this book will be. I guess I have to look through a few of these books to get a lay of the land.

Thanks U.V.Ray -I'll start with Snapshot Poetics and see what I learn. My user name is my real name. That's why I didn't spell it as Muhammad.

u.v.ray
Private E-2

Postby u.v.ray » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:05 am

Out from Murder Slim Press:
We Are Glass - Short Stories.
Spiral Out - novella
The Migrant - novella
Black Cradle - novel

Return to Tips and Advice