[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
need advice on how to make a party split : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

need advice on how to make a party split

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
heyharris1
Private E-1

need advice on how to make a party split

Postby heyharris1 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:28 am

hello,
Here is the basis of the story so far. the group of five has just left a underground tunnel through a mountain after a week. When they emerge two of them head south to gather supplies while the other make camp. While they are away the camp is attacked and they are taking hostage. so when the two come back they just see the aftermath of the fight. Does this sound dumb. When i was writing it I figured i would come up with something better by the time I started revising it but am just not coming up with a good reason why the two would leave so the other can be attacked. On another note it extremely important to the plot that they are not there when attacked. looking for advice on why two members would leave a party.
Thank you
Jim

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: need advice on how to make a party split

Postby cynicalwanderer » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:50 pm

Well presuming this is a post-apocalyptic story of some sort, then it would make enough sense that supplies are in short supply, and therefore if the party desperately needs food or medical supplies - perhaps one of the ones who stayed behind is badly injured from an earlier skirmish - then it'd make sense to split the group for that reason.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

heyharris1
Private E-1

Postby heyharris1 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:05 pm

sounds great, maybe i am just trying to out think myself. I am going to roll with the idea.
thank you
jim

u.v.ray
Private E-2

Postby u.v.ray » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:26 pm

Out from Murder Slim Press:
We Are Glass - Short Stories.
Spiral Out - novella
The Migrant - novella
Black Cradle - novel

heyharris1
Private E-1

Postby heyharris1 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:20 pm

it is predictable, i give you that one. I am still just not sure the best way to accomplish this though.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:26 pm

I don't think it's predictable, I think it's contrived.

The only reason to me why the three would stay is if one is incapable of traveling and the other two stay to take care of him or if the three are where they need to be (gold mine or whatever) and the other two need to get more supplies. If all five were on their way to somewhere else, I can't see why they would break up.

Can you have them be separated by natural event or enemies while they are in the tunnel?

heyharris1
Private E-1

Postby heyharris1 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:21 pm

I was thinking the same thing with them having them break up as they fight at the exit of the tunnel and there is a cave in and some get trapped inside and the other two have to backtrack and find another way out. But then I was thinking I feel like I am copying the lord of the rings with the watcher. whats the opinion on something like this.
jim

HawkEliz489
Private E-2

Postby HawkEliz489 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:09 am

“Do I look like the leader of this merry band of misfits?”

heyharris1
Private E-1

Postby heyharris1 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:09 am

Well, I took everybody's advice and rewrote the whole section over and I personally think It came out 100% better. the story would be placed during a time period of dungeons and dragons.
thanks everybody for the advice.
jim

Return to Tips and Advice