Question About Query Letters

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Fischer75

Question About Query Letters

Postby Fischer75 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:52 am

I've completed the first draft of my novel.

I'm currently almost halfway through with the second draft. Since this is my first time crafting a novel, I'm noticing that as I go along, fairly significant changes are occurring not only in areas of grammar, story structure, etc., but also within my overall style of writing, as I'm still working to find my voice. So I'm still not sure I would want anyone of importance to read it yet.

Having said that, since the first draft is technically complete, I'd love to get some query letters out. I could likely present a polished chapter or two to someone, but after that it would take time to get the rest through.

Are query letters appropriate yet at this stage?

To frame the question another way - is it okay to query literary agents when the current draft of my book is not, in whole, what I would want them to read yet?

Tim

heyharris1
Private E-1

Re: Question About Query Letters

Postby heyharris1 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:54 pm

I don't know how it should be officially done but what I am doing with mine (Currently working on the first revision) is I am going to get it as complete as possible. When I think I got it ready I am going to give it to a few trusted friends that I know read a lot and get their opinion. Some of my best friends are critical and wont hesitate to tell me when things don't sound right or don't make since. I would recommend you get it as done as possible and take the same route, get some outside opinions before submitting it.
Jim

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:41 am

Agents generally want first time authors to have their manuscript complete. The competition for their attention is enormous and a manuscript in a revision process will most likely find itself getting a Thank you but no thank you form letter.

Fischer75

Postby Fischer75 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:17 am

That makes sense.

I guess I've reached a point where things have become a bit of a slog, and I thought if I could peek the interest of an agent, it might help to recharge my focus and enthusiasm. But it's probably not wise to put myself out there in such a way before my manuscript is entirely presentable.

Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

Return to Tips and Advice