[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
is it possible to travel this fast : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

is it possible to travel this fast

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
heyharris1
Private E-1

is it possible to travel this fast

Postby heyharris1 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:01 am

Hello,
A friend of mine was over and started looking through my manuscript and after he read some he said it don't make since at the distance the party has traveled. I showed him the map with the scale and how I calculated the travel to be just about 25 miles per day walking. He said it cant be done but I said yes it can because when I was in the army we had to do 12 mile road marches in under 3 hours. basically double that and you got 24 miles in 6 hours. To be more realistic I gave them about 16 hours to travel 24 miles and 8 hours of rest or fighting or whatever. Am I retarded, is 25 miles a day on foot to far to travel.
Thank you
Jim

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: is it possible to travel this fast

Postby cynicalwanderer » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:42 pm

Average walking speed for people is 3 miles an hour, so yeah it's sufficiently realistic.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

u.v.ray
Private E-2

Postby u.v.ray » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:44 pm

Yes.You could walk 25 miles in a day. People run marathons in a few hours. So you could walk it in a day.
Out from Murder Slim Press:
We Are Glass - Short Stories.
Spiral Out - novella
The Migrant - novella
Black Cradle - novel

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:19 pm

Depends on the fitness of the group. Out of shape people, obese generally cannot do that. Can they do that distance if they absolutely had to in a day, yes. Two days, no. You have to take in fatigue, hydration, blisters, terrain type - especially if you have a group that isn't used to this type of mileage on their feet. Of course army troops can do it - they are young, generally fit and are forced into doing it, but even in basic training it is rare that troops are asked to put in 50 miles in two days.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:25 pm

The terrain will influence mileage greatly. A three mile hike in the mountains gaining 3000 feet in elevation is a taxing half-day.
Also weather matters.
25 miles in a given day is unexceptional.
25 miles day after day in tough terrain would heroic.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:36 pm

It depends on the people, on the weather, on the terrain, on how many days they have to do this, or how much food is available, on what they have to carry, on the weakest member of the group, etc. I've walked more than thirty miles in a day. But even at my best, I couldn't do this day after day, after day. I couldn't even do it once, if the terrain was too rough, if the weather was too bad, if I had to take time out to find food, etc.

Over the long term, ten miles per day is considered good travel time for a group. Unless you're group has only exceptionally strong and healthy members, even ten miles per day is a problem. I know a lot of people who can't walk ten miles, even in good weather, and on good, even terrain. I've walked horse trails where I was lucky if I made five miles in a day. I've walked in weather that slowed me to almost nothing.

Anyway, yes, a person, or even a group of healthy, conditioned people, can walk twenty-five miles in a day. But try it for yourself. It is not easy. Chances are good that you'll get blisters on your feet. You certainly will suffer, if you walk twenty-four hours per day for more than one day at a time. Even for conditioned people, damage starts after five miles. It may not be serious, but it's there. After day one, that damages increases. Unless your name is Forrest Gump, your feet, ankles knees, and even your hips and your back, will start breaking down after thee or four days. One person might have the health, the conditioning, the stamina, and the god fortune to be born with lower extremities than can take such punishment, but a group like this is extremely unlikely.

And do you really walk travel to be that easy? In fiction, you seldom want anything to be easy.

heyharris1
Private E-1

Postby heyharris1 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:55 pm

Well,
I guess after hearing everybody's opinion I am going to make a few adjustments to my travel times to make it more realistic, as some of the terrain these guys have to go through is just nasty.
Jim

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:46 am

I guess it will depend on the physical state of the character. If the guy is an army man like you, then it will be a piece of cake. But don't make a sedentary fifty years old to walk that fast!

Anyway, I bet you know better!
Best of lucks!
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

Return to Tips and Advice