[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MYSTERY & PUZZLE (Leading Characters) : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

MYSTERY & PUZZLE (Leading Characters)

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
HawkEliz489
Private E-2

MYSTERY & PUZZLE (Leading Characters)

Postby HawkEliz489 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:06 am

Hey guys. I'm sorry I've opened several topics in a short times, but your answers are really helpful to me and I've already learned many useful stuffs from you guys. So I really need to know something else, now about the characters.
Also, I hope the topic title is not misleading. It's not about the genre, but about the character.

We've already said it many times that characters should not be described, introduced into details or being explained to the readers - they must be shown, they must act and react and give their own images to the readers, right?
I've already understood 'show, don't tell' thing, but here is something I'm wondering - is it okay for the main character to be a mystery or a puzzle for the reader? Not in a way of genre, but in a way of the action? To further the question, should a main character have internal thoughts/comments and let the reader know about their secrets?

To make it more detailed, I'll give my own example: My MC is supposed to hate certain people in the story, and she's really rough to them and she doesn't hide her hatred. But as the story begins and progress, it's not really mentioned about why she actually hates them, there is no reason given to the reader and it's like a puzzle, until the right moment. [so it okay that reader doesn't know reason behind her actions before the time comes? or should MC have internal thoughts/comments frequently, slightly mentioning what caused her to hate them?]

To give the question a general structure: Is it okay that Main Character might turn out to be a puzzle to the reader, and in order to solve that puzzle, you've got to read and follow the action?

P.S. Also, I'll give Harry Potter as an opposite example. It's like, when reading it, it's as if you already know everything about Harry. You know he has no parents and you know reason behind it, you know he was bullied at school and by Dudley, and you know he is perceived as a weird kid, and you know he doesn't like his relatives for many this and that reasons. It's like you already know what Harry stands for, and as he goes to Hogwarts, you, as a reader, find out new secrets along with him. So it's like you journey with the character that you already know by heart, and when a secret is revealed about his past, again, you get to wonder along with Harry.
“Do I look like the leader of this merry band of misfits?”

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: MYSTERY & PUZZLE (Leading Characters)

Postby cynicalwanderer » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:56 am

"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

HawkEliz489
Private E-2

Postby HawkEliz489 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:49 am

“Do I look like the leader of this merry band of misfits?”

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:06 pm

"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Return to Tips and Advice