how to write weird speaking character conversations?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
heyharris1
Private E-1

how to write weird speaking character conversations?

Postby heyharris1 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:28 pm

Hello,
A little bit of a background so you understand my situation. One of my main characters is actually a reptilian lizard creature. Whenever she talks and the words end with "s" such as "Whats this?" Saress asked. I want the reader to understand that she drags the "S" out. So something like this "Whatssss Thisssss," Saress asked. The problem that I am having is it makes it extremely difficult to read. One option I was thinking when the character is first introduced is to talk about the strange language or only doing this to key words throughout the novel. I already have all the conversations complete I just need to revise it now to fit the character one way or the other. Saress is the name of the character, not part of the conversation.
Any advice one how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: how to write weird speaking character conversations?

Postby cynicalwanderer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:09 pm

Hmm, one way to handle a speech tic is to use it periodically but sparingly. So you might pull out the sibilant in this case only every three or four lines, or perhaps save it for when the character's tone for a given line is excited or would be spoken with inflection. Also the example you have, could just be: "What's thisssss?" Saress asked - with it only applied to the second word, it still gives the feel you want without overusing the device so heavily.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Return to Tips and Advice