[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
What Agents Want? : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What Agents Want?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Spinners
Private E-1

What Agents Want?

Postby Spinners » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:21 pm

Call me thin-skinned, but after 25 pitches and 10 rejections, I can read the writing on the wall. :( Knowing my YA novel is speculative, I targeted those agents looking for something fresh or different. In reality, I believe none of them have the guts to come down from their ivory NYC towers and explore new perspectives. I thought they could see I had some new ideas to break out of the YA mold. What does it take to open an agent's eyes? From the minimal feedback, I wager I have a strong hook, but I suspect my story starts too young. Maybe it's best condensed as backstory. There is a reason I chose to write like this; however, that is for the reader to discover as the story unfolds. Sadly, the agents will never see it.

As I read-up on self publishing, any last will and testiment advice? Should I be a glutton for punishment and go for 100 rejections? Is pitching to AAR-listed agents like introducing a bunch of stuffed shirts to the Beatles? Your thoughts? Please cheer me up a little.

DrG2
Colonel

Re: What Agents Want?

Postby DrG2 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:07 pm

Have you posted your query in the query section?
I'd be happy to look at it.
Have you researched what is getting published and what agents say they are looking for in YA?
Do you have a publishing record or education that would impress the agent's slush reader that you might be able to write well?

It's at best a crap shoot. Some new authors have gotten accepted after many rejections. OTOH, I know a guy who just published a MG novel because the agent he had found had failed to find a publisher after a year of trying.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:02 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Spinners
Private E-1

Postby Spinners » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:13 pm

Many thanks for the thoughts to help me take a step back and take an objective look at this.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:28 pm

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Brien Sz » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:01 pm

I was at a Writer's Digest Conference a couple years back and sat in on a panel of writers discussing the craft of writing a novel and selling it. Though there are those who can write one right out of the box and sell it, they believed, it takes roughly 5 to 7 novels one had to write before they finally find an agent. One of the writer's smirked, 'he wished' as it took him 9 tries before he finally sold one.

Return to Tips and Advice