Question about branding freelance services

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Shascorp
Private E-1

Question about branding freelance services

Postby Shascorp » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:22 pm

Hi All!

In the past few years, I've been a freelance writer, editor, and lately, an unofficial writing coach.

I was a former print, public radio, and television journalist/field producer for decades before I left the newsroom 16 years ago. Then, I transitioned to my first love -- theater and film. A single parent of two high school children, I went to film school shortly after I left the newsroom and produced several short and feature-length screenplays. But before my production company got off the ground, I discovered I have fibromyalgia and everything came to a screeching halt for several years.

My children are adults now and I've figured out ways to manage my fibromyalgia well enough to freelance. It all started by accident. Friends and colleagues began sending me writing and editing assignments. That morphed into copywriting, ghostwriting, content development and editing. I also work with a branding coach and I've joined her as a marketing/branding consultant (I have a knack for branding). I have a technical background (that's because I produced radio, video, and some film). I'm not a graphic artist per se but I'm certified and pretty proficient in most Adobe products. I also have old-school page layout and desktop publishing experience from my newspaper stints. So, lately, armed with Photoshop, Lightroom, Illustrator and InDesign, I've been designing logos and book interiors (I also do a little web design if you're nice to me). I'm playing around with book covers now.

Here's the thing: I'm designing a new writing brand. Here are the services:

--Writing Coaching/Writer Development (individual coaching, blog, workshops, seminars, online classes & ebooks)
-- Editing (fiction and non-fiction)
-- Writing/Content Development (ghostwriting, copywriting, marketing, PR, scripts, articles, books)
-- Self-Publishing Services (includes booklets, brochures, press kits, book interior design, cover design, ISBN and LCCN numbers application, copyright application, CreateSpace setup and eBook setup to KDP -- I'm still learning the ropes with some of it but it's not rocket science.)

Initially, I only want to offer writing coaching, writing and editing. I'll throw in self-publishing services as special custom offerings until I grow enough to bring in a small staff.

My questions are these: Does anyone know freelance brands who offer these services? I'd like to see examples (links to sites) of those who do. Am I unfocused -- offering too many services in one brand?

This is an honest question. I'm not soliciting or promoting. It's a business question and I'm asking experienced writers/editors in the community for advice.

Return to Tips and Advice