[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
i have a question about dark side and light side in fiction : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

i have a question about dark side and light side in fiction

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Shimmitar
Private E-2

i have a question about dark side and light side in fiction

Postby Shimmitar » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:55 am

Ok so in my book, there is the void, which is a celestial place that creates all the energy in the universe. It is made up of negative energy and positive energy also known as dark and light energies. My question is, is it ok to say this place is strong with the dark side, or light side or whatever? Or would it be to star wars-y?

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: i have a question about dark side and light side in fict

Postby cynicalwanderer » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:30 pm

Probably best to invent your own alternatives, I'd say. Once a reference becomes as well-known and cliched as those are in popular culture, it's usually a smart idea to stay away from using it.

Perhaps just spending a little time with a thesaurus might produce some good brainstorming ideas. "Side" could become "realm" or "zone" or "half", for example. Or focus on your description of "energies" and have "dark power" or "dark life-force". Or switch the light/dark pair around to become shadow/light, or life/death, high/low, creation/destruction, whatever works for you.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

JohnatWrM
Private E-1

Postby JohnatWrM » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:26 am

i would make up completely new words for describing the dark/light side. I've thought of "Magra" for the dark energy, but this is only a suggestion. Maybe the whole thing can work on a spectrum? Say the dark energy is 0-10 and light is 80-100 or something similar.
You're right those phrase are too connected with the Star Wars franchise, so you need to fnd a way to distance yourself from using similar phrases.

I'm sure you'll find the right way to phrase everything.

u.v.ray
Private E-2

Postby u.v.ray » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:24 am

Out from Murder Slim Press:
We Are Glass - Short Stories.
Spiral Out - novella
The Migrant - novella
Black Cradle - novel

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:03 pm

I agree with Cynicalwanderer on this one. I would try and find another way to say it or make up something that could represent each. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:23 pm

I agree with them too.
The use of Dark/Light side is too popular and you'll nly confuse readers about it. I think its better to avoid it. Name them other way, and try to avoid those expressions!

Best of lucks
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:24 pm

I thought this was going to be the Star Wars forum!
I agree that it would be best to change the names from Dark/Light. Maybe add another word to accompany Dark 'something' and Light 'something'.

Return to Tips and Advice