[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
suggestions for niche literary agents : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

suggestions for niche literary agents

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
OtioseDodge
Private E-1

suggestions for niche literary agents

Postby OtioseDodge » Fri May 27, 2016 1:59 pm

Hi All!

I recently completed a novel, and am contacting agents about it. I've been trying to target agents that specialize in the category that my novel fits into, and was wondering if anyone out there had any agents they could recommend. My story is best described as multicultural (the protagonist has Latin American roots and grows up in the U.S.) and transnational (the story takes place in several places in the U.S., Peru, and Ireland) literary fiction.

Would appreciate any help.

Best,
OD

pls
Site Admin

Re: suggestions for niche literary agents

Postby pls » Fri May 27, 2016 8:04 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

OtioseDodge
Private E-1

Postby OtioseDodge » Sat May 28, 2016 8:30 am

Thanks for your reply pls. I found that search options on querytracker are limited without payment, and was hoping to get a personal account of an agent here. But if worse comes to worse I'll just ante up on querytracker.

OD

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Sat May 28, 2016 11:57 am

I suggest going to Barnes and Noble and looking for a book called Writer's Market.

They release one each year, and it contains every agent with what they're looking for, contact info, everything--even contest for short stories and poetry and so on. Anything that involves writing, it's in that book.

It does cost like 30 dollars. To me it's worth it. Granted, if you wanted, you could just sit skim through it and write down the agencies that interest you.

It's basically the yellow pages for agencies paha. But each agency has a few sections under their name:

Member agents (lists off each agent in the agency and what genre they focus on)

Represents (basically breaks down what they're looking for, for instance this agency I just opened up to for an example has "Action, adventure, contemporary issues, crime, ethnic, experimental, family saga, feminist, gay, glitz, historical, humor, inspirational, lesbian," blah blah.

How to contact (breaks down exactly what they're looking for in the email; granted, you will want to make sure you look up their email just to make sure everything is still current and they didn't change anything)

Terms (most of these are the same where it says agents receive 15% commission on domestic sales)

Resent Sales (lists the books that agents recently worked with)

Writers Conferences (details what conferences the agency organizes if you happen want to meet them)

Tips (kind of generic tips that the agents give, BUT I love reading them, because I'm picky and I look for agents that come off as passionate about their work and would seem pleasant to work with, rather than pure suit and tie down to business peeps--and if you like the latter, then it helps there, too)

So yeah. I would greatly encourage you to at least run by your bookstore and flip through some pages to see if it appeals to you.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

Rosedarling
Sergeant First Class

Postby Rosedarling » Sun May 29, 2016 10:04 am

One thing I did that was successful was to go to a book launching at a cafe. After the presentation I went over to the agent and introduced myself. I told her a bit about my writing and asked if she published fiction novels. She told me her focus was nonfiction but she'd look at my work. She recently started her own publishing company. I haven't completed anything yet but I've opened a line of communication.

Has anyone else ever met a publisher this way?
Formerly known as rosebud
https://rosaliehovis.wordpress.com

OtioseDodge
Private E-1

Postby OtioseDodge » Sun May 29, 2016 12:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Crono and Rose, I'll take them into consideration.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Sun May 29, 2016 2:35 pm

Yes, that Writer's Market book has been the publishing info bible for many years.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Sun May 29, 2016 2:41 pm

What Crono suggested is a good idea. The other way is to find all the agents on querytracker that match your genre and then research them one by one. Go to their websites, their agency's websites, their twitters and do the hard work of finding out if they would like your story. A lot of agents are looking for multicultural stories from non-typical viewpoints.

You could also look at:
http://www.manuscriptwishlist.com/

Which started as a twitter # for what kind of manuscripts agents and publishers would like to see. Read through it or search for keywords.

On top of all that you can find authors that write books that are like your own, and research who their agents are.
The Rule of Three

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sun May 29, 2016 3:14 pm

Thank you for the Wish List link, Wednesday. I've included that in my Favorites.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Mon May 30, 2016 12:56 pm

The Rule of Three

Next

Return to Tips and Advice