[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Mentioning INSPIRATIONS in your Book : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Mentioning INSPIRATIONS in your Book

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
HawkEliz489
Private E-2

Mentioning INSPIRATIONS in your Book

Postby HawkEliz489 » Fri May 20, 2016 12:39 pm

This might sound confusing question, but is it legal to mention music or movie names, or people's names that have inspired your story?
I mean on the 'acknowledgement' pages where authors speak about their stories and thank random people.
To be more specific, I saw Veronica Roth mentioning at the end of her Divergent book the names of the songs that have inspired her. She had a page dedicated for the song list.
And I'm wondering, are all the authors allowed to dedicate such pages for the things they've been inspired from? And do you have the right to mention them? (e.g. musics, movies, actors) mostly I mean those things that are considered as 'celebs'.
Or do I have to ask a permission from the song owner to mention their song in my Inspiration page?
“Do I look like the leader of this merry band of misfits?”

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Mentioning INSPIRATIONS in your Book

Postby cynicalwanderer » Sat May 21, 2016 4:15 am

Pretty sure there's no legal issue with that. As long as you're not writing anything libellous or reprinting song lyrics etc, just acknowledging your inspirations positively should be fine.

Within the story itself, fictionalising a real person or business can be risky, however. If your char makes a joke about some well-known fast food outlet's burgers tasting like fried rat meat, for example, and you named the company, you could get into strife.

Anyway, if you're worried about it, perhaps some further research or legal advice might be best.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

HawkEliz489
Private E-2

Postby HawkEliz489 » Sat May 21, 2016 6:48 am

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sat May 21, 2016 9:24 am

There is nothing illegal about this. You're not claiming they are yours, you're not incorporating the lyrics into your story as if they were yours, you're just noting the titles and artists.

That said, I've never seen "inspirations" listed on the acknowledgment pages of any published books, though I have seen it in fanfic. So personally, I wouldn't include them at all. Not to sound mean, but who cares? Unless the person wrote the song specifically for you, it's just a song.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

HawkEliz489
Private E-2

Postby HawkEliz489 » Sat May 21, 2016 12:43 pm

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sat May 21, 2016 1:47 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat May 21, 2016 5:48 pm

Return to Tips and Advice