[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Writing by hand? : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Writing by hand?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
FoltonSmyde
Private E-1

Writing by hand?

Postby FoltonSmyde » Thu May 12, 2016 4:13 pm

What do you think about writing by hand? 30 pages of my novel are written by hand in a notebook. I immensely prefer doing my writing with pen or pencil on paper. Typing for me restricts my creativity, because I think too much about spacing, typos, and the way the sentences look. While writing with longhand though, I can do it much faster and it comes more naturally compared to typing since I'm a horrible typist. I don't don't know why, but typing seems more sterile or "clinical", compared to the more organic process by writing on paper.

I actually got discouraged from writing, because I started typing out what already wrote, and it was just painful. I decided instead of getting bogged down by typing and worrying about critique, that I'm going to finish writing out the draft by hand, and then cross the typing bridge when I get there. Heck I'm just going to do the final draft by hand and then just copy it to the computer which I can do. On the side I will practice on my typing.

Do any of you fellow writers prefer to write by hand? Have any of you wrote a whole novel by pen or pencil?

roda havet
Captain

Re: Writing by hand?

Postby roda havet » Fri May 13, 2016 6:42 am

I enjoyed writing by hand once. As a matter of fact the novel I'm working on started out on paper then I had a medical problem pop up. So I don't have the privilege of hand writing my work anymore. Not long ago my doctors and I found a knot (painful one) what we thought was a cyst) but it turned out to be a benign tumor that had some nerves in it. :( Although I was lucky since the tumor was benign (that was a wait time that drove me up the wall so to speak). Anyway after they cut it out I started having trouble with my writing hand; it goes numb and if I use it write for long periods of time it gets painful. It turned out the nerves in the tumor lead to my arm nerves. Until that happened I like writing things out on paper but it's not my best option anymore; I have no choice but to type so my computer has became my best friend when I want to write. :|
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri May 13, 2016 9:14 am

Being old, my hand cramps up after about a page or so. I can barely turn out hand-written notes in Christmas cards, even when I use my treasured Parker 51 filled with my signature green ink. So I use a computer to churn out my tomes.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:06 pm

My mind often works too quickly even for typing. There's so many times when I'll be typing and thinking, but I'll end up not typing entire words or type a word from a thought that's already passed, because I'm thinking faster than I can type.

Thus, writing by hand would be torture for me. xD I can hardly write by hand fast enough to keep up with what I'm thinking, in which I end up losing a lot of the creative thoughts because I'm in the middle of writing a word.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Fri May 13, 2016 1:45 pm

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Brien Sz » Fri May 13, 2016 3:32 pm

I ditched writing by hand (for longer lengths of time) years ago. I'll jot ideas down by hand, maybe even a paragraph or two but when it comes down to sitting and writing, I type. With practice you become pretty proficient. There was a time I wrote by hand because I feared I couldn't type fast enough. In the early going this was true but you'd be amazed how quickly that can turnaround.

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Sat May 14, 2016 6:32 am

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Sat May 14, 2016 8:52 am

“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue May 17, 2016 1:41 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue May 17, 2016 1:44 pm

Next

Return to Tips and Advice