[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
When Emailing Submissions to an Agent... : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

When Emailing Submissions to an Agent...

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Spinners
Private E-1

When Emailing Submissions to an Agent...

Postby Spinners » Mon May 02, 2016 9:55 pm

I stand on the brink of my first submission EVER! Leading up to this blessed event, I have read that many agents who accept emailed queries do not want attachments for fear of picking up a virus. I get it, but the particular agent I want "to be my first" wants a one page query, a one page summary, and the first page of the manuscript. (Maybe this is the norm?) I fear it will look so messy and unprofessional! Do they realize what they are asking? (It bugs me!) Also, my manuscript is double-spaced. Should I single-space the first chapter and email whatever condenses down to a single-spaced first page? Thanks!

pls
Site Admin

Re: When Emailing Submissions to an Agent...

Postby pls » Tue May 03, 2016 8:57 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:18 pm

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Wed May 04, 2016 8:54 pm

I've never heard of a one page manuscript submission haha.

You'll just want to format your email like this:

Dear [Agent],

Hook.

Story part of the query.

Brief information about yourself if you have it.

"Upon your request, I included a synopsis and first page of my manuscript below."

Thanks, Name and contact info.

--- (use three dash line. If you're writing this in a word document, the moment you press enter it will turn into a black line. You don't want that. Just press backspace and enter again, and it will go away).

Synopsis. Title it [Book Title Synopsis], and not summary.

---

Book first page. Make sure you end after a clean paragraph. Do not end it mid-sentence if it happens to do so in your document.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

The_Scribbler
Private E-1

Postby The_Scribbler » Fri May 06, 2016 2:09 pm

What Crono said. Never attach anything unless specifically stated by the agent. While their submission style may bug you, they are the agent, and it's up to them how they receive the work of potential clients.

If you go outside the submission guidelines, you run the risk of being automatically rejected on that fact alone.

Follow the guidelines. They are there for a reason.

Good luck and congrats on the request!

Spinners
Private E-1

Postby Spinners » Tue May 17, 2016 6:01 pm

Thanks to all for your feedback. I am just getting a chance to follow up. I plan to start submitting this week...or, come Monday at the latest!

Return to Tips and Advice