[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Novel Writing Fears : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Novel Writing Fears

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
FoltonSmyde
Private E-1

Novel Writing Fears

Postby FoltonSmyde » Mon May 02, 2016 6:07 pm

Do you guys ever feel conflicted when writing? I go from saying my novel that I'm working on is a great and original idea, but then the next minute I say it's stupid and unoriginal. Then I start a new day by waking up with a fresh mind and coming up with a new idea that reinvigorates my creativity.

I also feel this way about my characters. They seem so alive in my head, like real breathing people, but when I get them down on paper or talk about them to other people they seem stilted.

How do you go about coping with this?
Last edited by FoltonSmyde on Wed May 04, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crono91
Lieutenant

Re: Novel Writing Fears

Postby Crono91 » Mon May 02, 2016 6:28 pm

I just keep on writing.

Honestly, my best ideas come about either when I'm driving, or when I'm in the middle of writing.

I have a system where I outline my novel before writing, but I leave out chunks all throughout, free spaces, and when I reach those, my in-the-moment creativity flashes and I come up with a unique way to showcase a character or plot piece.

I don't want to equate writing to discovering medicine, but it's just the first thing that came to mind:

when working with complex chemical compounds of medicine, sure the scientist will spend a lot of time at his desk with a pencil and paper, and up all night mentally trying to manipulate aspects to come up with the pill. However, there comes a point where unless he starts to physically work with the chemicals and do some trial and error, he will not be able to actually figure it out.

Couple that with the fact that some of the best medicines out there were developed on accident.

So just keep on writing!

---

Also. And this is uber important.

Find a good friend who is both honest but also is supportive. Let them read yourself. Odds are they will go, "Oh my this was so awesome! I think this part was a little confusing, but I love the characterization here!" It will perk you up and give you just amount energy to get back to your laptop.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon May 02, 2016 9:24 pm

Post a chapter of your work (under 2500 or so words, please) here in the appropriate critique forum and get genuine feedback. "You'll be glad you did," they used to say on the radio.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Spinners
Private E-1

Postby Spinners » Mon May 02, 2016 9:33 pm

I once thought it was just me, but I have read time and again we all that little negative voice we must drown out! Believe in yourself! if you can, get unbiased feedback from writing groups or a close colleague that can give an honest criticism. Have you seen that meme (probably an old cartoon)...it's a "cut-away" drawing showing a guy digging in a mine, but quits inches away from striking gold? That's what keeps me going! There is also a song by Kansas that says "Hold on 'cause you're standing on the brink, and you're closer than you think..." It is things like this that inspire me. Sure, I fall into slumps especially after a particularly unproductive night of writing junk. But, I get to bed and wake up inspired. Sometimes, it takes a day or two. Inspiration often comes when I least expect it. So keep at it!

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Wed May 04, 2016 9:33 am

Oh yes, definitely. Most writers go through the inspiration/self-doubt/reinvigoration cycle at some point during the writing of a novel. Sometimes even during every paragraph!
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Tue May 10, 2016 12:19 pm

I have the same fears too!

I'm really worried about if people are going to like my novel, or if they are going to find them boring. But I think there are a lot of people who'll be interested, and with you novel too!
I guess we need to transform our insecurities into strong and good selfcriticism, and don't stop writing. Make it better!

Best of lucks with your novel!
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

Return to Tips and Advice