[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Writers' conferences : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Writers' conferences

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Oblong
Private E-1

Writers' conferences

Postby Oblong » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:11 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has advice on which writers' conferences are the best. Any opinions on Yale Writers' Conf, New York Writers' conf or Wesleyan writers conf.? I would like to attend one of these but not sure which would be best for professional success?

Thanks,

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: Writers' conferences

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Did you not see WD's advert at the top of this page? Keep watching. It will come round.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:38 pm

I haven't been to any of those. Some conferences are good, others less so. Look at the schedule, and see how much interests you.

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:57 am

I've been to a couple of the Writer's Digest conferences - they are pretty good. They have lots of breakout sessions and an excellent pitch session. If you've never been to theirs, I believe it's worth the money.

The_Scribbler
Private E-1

Postby The_Scribbler » Fri May 06, 2016 2:22 pm

What kind of conferences are you looking for? There's broad ones or more genre specific pending on what you're looking to do.

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Wed May 11, 2016 2:56 pm

I help organize and run ThrillerFest in NYC in July. It brings in the biggest names in the thriller genre. As with most conferences, there are panel discussions (ThrillerFest) and classroom instructors (CraftFest). There's also an all day class (Master CraftFest) with a bestselling author. This year, there will be over 60 agents and editors for PitchFest with many that are in the top 50 in sales. And this year as part of PitchFest, we added a few agents and editors that are helping with query letters and first pages.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu May 12, 2016 12:50 am

There re dozens of extremely good conferences, but only you can answer which ones are good for you. For you, the conference should focus on the kind of writing you do, and should have should have people there who can guide your particular wants and needs. A conference that's wonderful for one writer might well be horrible for another. You need to find out who will be in attendance, what the focus is, and what you can learn that with help you.

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Sat May 14, 2016 9:02 am

Uhm, I'm the only one who wanted to say that you can and watch them on youtube?

I mean, if you have this kind of doubts, you can try and watch some on youtube. This way you'll know the authors you find more interesting!
I hope you can go to a conference really soon! Take the best of it!
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

catherder
Private E-1

Postby catherder » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:12 am

I just went to the one at Wesleyan. Here's my experience, FWIW. Each day there were 3 classes, each lasting approx 75 minutes. One on poetry, which consisted largely of people reading pre-existing poems for the room and then saying nice things about them. The other classes were on non-fiction and fiction. The non-fiction one had assigned readings. The class consisted of talking in general about those readings, which for me at least was not that useful, and of people reading pieces they had composed the night before the class. These were interesting, but again not what I had come for. The fiction class was a bit more useful, but far too brief. There were a few times in the fiction classes when the instructor actually talked about specific, useful points. There were a couple of panel discussions, which were of interest chiefly to those in the publishing world (not me). The attendees were a great bunch. The campus was lovely. The food was ok. Overall, it might have been an OK deal at $500, but it cost well over twice that much (this for a Thurs 8am through Sun 3pm conference). There were opportunities for manuscript review, but although we had each sent in our 30 pages over a month earlier, most of the reviewers were scrambling to read them DURING the conference. Meetings were hasty and rushed, and of wildly inconsistent length. Accommodations were basic dorm rooms. I would not recommend this conference to anyone, frankly. If the next one I am planning to attend is as bad as this one, I'll give up this activity entirely. Had I not signed up for both months ago at the same time, I would not even be going to the second one. Most of the people I spoke to at the W.conference had experiences similar to mine. Sadly, some of them had traveled thousands of miles, whereas I only had to drive 75 miles to get there. Had I flown in for this, I would have been irate.

Return to Tips and Advice