[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Covers : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Covers

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
skymessenger
Private E-1

Covers

Postby skymessenger » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:41 pm

I've been wondering this after reading through so many articles and discussions. And I think some ideas from other writers may help someday.

How do you go about book covers? What's the best route?
Do you draw them by hand or do your own photoshop? Do you use a cover-creator from Amazon? Hire someone to do it for you (if so, how would that even work?) Something else?

Personally, I have zero photoshop abilities. My drawing is ok but not exactly great enough for a book cover. So I'll either need a lot of money or just hope the bookcover creator Amazon has is somewhat decent.

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Re: Covers

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:02 pm

deleted

TCCollins
Private E-1

Postby TCCollins » Thu May 12, 2016 5:37 am

They do say never make your own cover (otherwise it will end up looking like ) although there are probably a few exceptions to that rule. I ignored it however because I can't afford to pay anyone to do it, and I want a bash at it myself as I've been into graphic design since 2003 and photography since 1993, so I'm hoping there's a chance I might get just away with it. ;) I wasn't great when I first began but I'm a hell of a lot better than what I was ten years ago! :lol:

IMO, the best covers are minimalist, however I think fantasies and romances can get away with oil painting style illustration, but no more than two fonts which can be read in a thumbnail (NO PAPYRUS, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!) and use a colour scheme and style fitting with the genre. But I'm no expert lol

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Thu May 12, 2016 7:34 am

Well, if you find someone, some friend, on graphic desing they will help you.

Its hard, becuase you can make it by hand, but it may not look great. As TCCollins said, don't use more than two families of typhographys, (mean, don't use comic sans, arial and Times New Roman at all once). Be careful with downloading fonts, because they are the work of designers too and using it for commercial purpouses is illegal.

Best is minimalism, and try to be rational about it: What its your novel about? You can't paint with sweet pink a terror story. If you can afford a good illustration, try not to do it either. Look for the best book covers!

And photoshop is easy to use. The program is based on layers. That means that you can put the title of the book in a layer, the image below and you can move the title alone without moving all. Look for tutorials, be pacient. You will learn it in no time, I assure you!

Best of lucks!
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu May 12, 2016 9:35 am

I used Adobe Creative Suite to design my covers, but there's a bit of a learning curve with it. My covers will never win an award - I call them my award-losing covers - but they're not as horrible as the ones TCCollins provided a link to.

I also hired an artist to create two covers which required closeups of two human beings in them. They weren't cheap.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Thu May 12, 2016 11:54 am

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu May 12, 2016 2:01 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Thu May 12, 2016 3:23 pm

I've gone out on a limb (and into credit-card debt) for the covers for my Martian Missions series. Four covers are involved and ebooklaunch gave me 10 per cent. discount on the bundle. I am very happy with what they have produced. The cost was high because the covers are hand-drawn. If I'd chosen images from stock, it would have been much less expensive, but there are no stock images of Martian reptiles! :D
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

HawkEliz489
Private E-2

Postby HawkEliz489 » Fri May 20, 2016 5:42 am

I was looking for this topic.
I'm actually a graphic designer and I have some hand-drawing abilities too (I'm not super, but.. anyway). But I can't say I know much about the marketing and all of these licenses and copyrights.
I was browsing into Stock websites, and here I found this kind line in License agreement or whatever:
Copies of downloaded or physical products (e.g. apps, posters, books) - 250,000 copies
So does this mean that If your book gets 250,000+ printed copies, you will have to re-buy the Photo Stock that you used in your cover, and repay the Stock owner?

And about the Fonts. Does the same goes for Font Licenses?
And one more thing, are Common Fonts like Arial, Times New Roman and such free to use in your book, both for titles and typing?

P.S. If I make my own photo shooting for my own stocks, make my drawing, and even make my own fonts for the Title, will it save me from all the troubles? (I don't mind making it anyway :D)
“Do I look like the leader of this merry band of misfits?”

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Fri May 20, 2016 7:26 am

Regarding the fonts you get with Windows and Word, these are, as far as I know, freely usable in your books - the right to use the font in your document output is granted by the owner (Microsoft in this case) as part of purchasing those products which contain them. The one thing you can't do is decompile the font and redistribute or embed the font file, but nobody is likely to do that.

In terms of other fonts, there's a large set of entirely royalty free fonts provided by Google. See here for a download of the full set (quite large, watch your bandwidth!) Quite often you can find open source fonts in this and other collections which are free for use and which closely resemble other well known fonts that you'd otherwise have to pay for. For example, the Antonio font in the set I listed above is a free version that's almost identical to the popular Impact font which you see used in internet meme pictures.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Next

Return to Tips and Advice