[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
I didn't know this type of writing experience was possible : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

I didn't know this type of writing experience was possible

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
jpappas8112
Private E-1

I didn't know this type of writing experience was possible

Postby jpappas8112 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:36 am

Hello, writers. I've had the most bizzarre experience writing, and I'm just wondering if anyone's ever had this happen before.

I wrote a short story and I've never felt so emotionally affected or passionate about a project as I have with that story. It was a little freaky. I stayed up until past 2 in the morning writing it (this NEVER happens), and thought about it obsessively during the day. Then when I finished it...I actually grieved.

Which also never happens. Usually I'm so excited/relieved to finish a project because I'm burned out by the end. It was so strange for to be grieving. Inspiration is a very strange thing.

Have you ever had an experience like this? I feel like this is so difficult to articulate, and I don't know any other writer who has had this experience and it's literally impossible to explain it to a non-writer. So I'm hoping someone can offer me some insight.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: I didn't know this type of writing experience was possib

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:08 pm

It sounds like you had the same experience Ray Bradbury had when he wrote "The Lake".

James Worlock
Private E-1

Postby James Worlock » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:22 am

I've never had that specific feeling personally but I have had times where I am almost so 'in the zone' I forget I'm writing.

I just feel like a conduit for information.

It's a cool feeling.

skymessenger
Private E-1

Postby skymessenger » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:22 am

In a way, yes. I would be in the zone and I would get page after page done. Then, when it's all over, I feel dazed. My mind goes "wait, what happened?" and I'm left in a state of confusion for a little while. I'm left pondering "what now?"

etbmusic
Private E-1

Postby etbmusic » Tue May 10, 2016 5:36 pm

Return to Tips and Advice