Neat Site

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
DrG2
Colonel

Neat Site

Postby DrG2 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:24 pm

If you go to this site, http://iwl.me/
you paste some of your writing and it tells you what famous author you write most like. I think it's mostly based on word use.
I tried all sorts of my work, and got some reasonable answers (Raymond Chandler, Stephen King, William Gibson), but got Jane Austen for about half of the chapters of a completed novel I wrote.

I don't know what it tells you, but it's fun!

Oldtimer
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Neat Site

Postby Oldtimer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:43 pm

We had fun with this site some time ago. I can't remember who I was supposed to write like but I do remember that my reaction was "NEVER ... I wish!" :)
Revised versions of "The Gift" and "Staying Alive" are back on Smashwords.
Experience is the cold water that douses the fire of imagination. From "The Gift"

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:59 am

OK, Stephen King for my attempt at a "horror" story (not disappointing, but I was aspiring to Shirley Jackson!), but come on, Ann Rice for my take-off on Sue Townsend's Adrian Mole diaries??

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:49 am

DrG- You actually got Jane Austen? :lol: don't ask me why I thought that was so funny. I would love to be compared to her though.

This was fun. :D I tried several different snippets from my WIP. I had to look some of the authors up on Amazon. I got Robert Louis Stevenson twice. I also got Dan Brown, Ursula K Le Guin and Stephen King and the last one was my favorite-J R R Tokien! That made my day. But that was on an unedited recently written snippet.

louiseh87
Lieutenant

Postby louiseh87 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:22 pm

I got Tolstoy, for a piece where I was using Russian names, so not that surprising. Then I got Arthur Clarke and Gertrude Stein. I'm not that keen on the first and I've never head of the second :P
Louise :)

---------------------------
Twitter - where I extend talking to myself to the internet sphere

"Over the Waves", Strange Horizons (13 August 2012)

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:40 pm

Laycrew wrote:DrG- You actually got Jane Austen? :lol: don't ask me why I thought that was so funny. I would love to be compared to her though.

Yes, JANE AUSTEN!!! for about half of the chapters of my completed fantasy novel. 3 of the 5 main characters are female, so I don't know if that contributed to it. I did get someone different for the recent stuff I posted on this site. William Gibson or someone.

csingleton24
Private E-1

Postby csingleton24 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:12 am

That was a pretty cool site! Thanks! I ended up with Agatha Christie....which was weird because I submitted something far from mystery. LOL

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:41 pm

I looked at Pride and Prejudice, and Austen used lots of semi-colons. I do use about one every 10 pages or so. I don't know if that's why I get Austen.

Laycrew
Major

Postby Laycrew » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:31 pm

DrG2 wrote:I looked at Pride and Prejudice, and Austen used lots of semi-colons. I do use about one every 10 pages or so. I don't know if that's why I get Austen.

Well I played with it some more later. I got a Tolkien a few more times. I think it was because of all the dragon talk. So I looked for passages without dragons and got kick out of getting J.K. Rowling once. :D

Alienscifi
Private E-2

Postby Alienscifi » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:49 am

If I'm assuming correctly that this is talking about setting up a website for books neatly, I require help. If anyone knows an expert on wikis, I need someone to take a look a this. I do want to publish science fiction.

http://isaacsguidetotheuniverse.wikia.c ... verse_Wiki

Next

Return to Tips and Advice