The End

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Anya Kylash

Re: The End

Postby Anya Kylash » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:18 pm

I read plenty of modern stuff. The only thing that has all the main characters die is the Matrix, and then there are still plenty of other characters still alive at the end of that.
Finished:
Race Against Fate -101k words
Loyalties Lost -121k words
Forgotten -100k words
Friends and Foes -113k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

Starchaser3000

Postby Starchaser3000 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:26 pm

I am sure there is some serious fiction/fantasy besides the Matrix that is like that. I am just hoping there are no other humor/spoof fiction/fantasy book series novels that have an ending like mine that is all.

atwhatcost

Postby atwhatcost » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:17 am

updog wrote:Atwhatcost, you don't get to tell people how to answer a question, whether you started the thread or not. These forums are for discussions. That's what LMGilbert and the rest of us are doing here. Discussing -- exchanging ideas and offering opinions about writing. There's no reason to get snippy every time a poster gives you an answer you deem inappropriate. She wasn't attacking you or your genre.

A. Isn't that what you're doing now? I see no problem with telling people what they should or shouldn't do, especially as they're telling me so much stuff that has nothing to do with the question. Oh, and just so you understand, I really don't have any problems with you calling me on my reactions. You'll probably be surprised to know, I'm reacting very civil for some of the stuff I'm getting. I cool down before I respond. :lol: I didn't have to cool down to respond to you, because I really do get where you could think I'm over-reacting.

B.
If one book about a certain interesting idea/thing/character is good, then a dozen, or twenty must be better, and hey, why not 58 like the Animorphs! Writers aiming your work at middle-grade readers: stop inundating them with endless middle-of-the-road work just so you can make an easy buck off their parents, and THRILL their little socks off with ONE FRICKING MIND-BLOWING NOVEL!

How is that not attacking me or my genre?
Lynn

Working on my first novel.

atwhatcost

Postby atwhatcost » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:27 am

Starchaser3000 wrote:
Anya Kylash wrote:If it's your ending and not blatantly ripping off another book's ending, keep it.

That is just it. I am not familiar with enough modern fiction/fantasy writing, serious or not serious, to really know that. But people have told me that I still risk pissing some readers off if I kill off all but one of my main characters because the world itself is being destroyed at the end. I am open to consider changing the end to be more positive and uplifting though.

If you can get an agent and/or publisher interested in your series enough to get to the end, then why worry about what one or two critiquers thought? Agents and publishers are more than willing to go with you, if you're willing to bend. And, for that matter, they might not even think you have to bend. The only reason they get to the end is because they're mighty impressed up until that point, so the worse that happens is they might tell you to change the ending.

To me, it sounds like you're worrying about getting married because you might trip down the aisle after the ceremony. That's no reason to not get married, and, even if you do trip going down the aisle, your partner is willing to help you back up on your feet. The deal is set, if they get to the end, even if they don't like the end. That you're willing to bend, says the deal is set.
Lynn

updog

Postby updog » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:27 am

atwhatcost wrote:
updog wrote:Atwhatcost, you don't get to tell people how to answer a question, whether you started the thread or not. These forums are for discussions. That's what LMGilbert and the rest of us are doing here. Discussing -- exchanging ideas and offering opinions about writing. There's no reason to get snippy every time a poster gives you an answer you deem inappropriate. She wasn't attacking you or your genre.

A. Isn't that what you're doing now? I see no problem with telling people what they should or shouldn't do, especially as they're telling me so much stuff that has nothing to do with the question. Oh, and just so you understand, I really don't have any problems with you calling me on my reactions. You'll probably be surprised to know, I'm reacting very civil for some of the stuff I'm getting. I cool down before I respond. :lol: I didn't have to cool down to respond to you, because I really do get where you could think I'm over-reacting.

B.
If one book about a certain interesting idea/thing/character is good, then a dozen, or twenty must be better, and hey, why not 58 like the Animorphs! Writers aiming your work at middle-grade readers: stop inundating them with endless middle-of-the-road work just so you can make an easy buck off their parents, and THRILL their little socks off with ONE FRICKING MIND-BLOWING NOVEL!

I'm glad you didn't have to cool down before responding to me, because I'm not trying to offend you. :) I do understand why you thought she was attacking you, but because I spend a lot of time on the boards and get to know people's personalities, I gave her the benefit of the doubt. I've never seen LMGilbert attack anyone before, so I have no reason to believe she was trying to offend you, or that she was even speaking directly to you. I assumed she was speaking of the general 'you', not YOU you. :lol: So as long as you're not planning to inundate readers with middle-of-the-road work, and put out series just to try to make more money from a story that should have ended after one book, you're not one of the people she's upset with.

I actually understand where she's coming from, too. It's getting harder and harder to find standalone novels nowadays, at least for young people, because publishers are trying to cash in on the success of trilogies and series like Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, and Twilight. And many times it's obvious the author has no idea where to take the characters after that first book. (I know from experience that series are, in some cases, being pushed on authors who originally thought of their book as a standalone.) As a mother, I didn't care how many Harry Potter books I had to buy, because they were excellent books and there was a reason the story needed to be told that way. But there are others...

And yes, threads do tend to derail at times. Unless things turn ugly we usually just go with the flow. ;) I also understand why you're getting frustrated that nobody is answering the original question, but I'm guessing it's because none of us have figured the percentage of our story that falls after the climax. Besides, you already seem to know the answer. Most books only have a chapter after the climax. You've also been encouraged to write your story however you think it needs to be written. If there is a problem with the ending, an agent or editor will work with you on that.

As for telling people what they should or shouldn't do, you can tell them, but you can't make them listen. :mrgreen:
"Is it weird in here, or is it just me?" ~ Steven Wright

https://twitter.com/vonnywrites
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11039198-vonny

Starchaser3000

Postby Starchaser3000 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:37 am

@atwhatcost:
I agree on the marriage metaphor for sure. Right now the path I am taking is to get my second volume self published sometime later this year. After that I have no plans to continue with this series since by then I plan to be querying to agents for my next writing project. But I plan to still push for this series in the self publishing market. I think over time for those that have attained decent reviews and editorial critiques along with some sales, those more obscure self published books will have a chance for REAL commercial success. Maybe then if a reputable publishing house wants to pick up the series and might want me to make some changes on the ending, I could work with that. But by that time in my life, I am hoping that I already have my new fiction idea published the traditional way.

atwhatcost

Postby atwhatcost » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:08 pm

updog wrote:
atwhatcost wrote:

B.

I'm glad you didn't have to cool down before responding to me, because I'm not trying to offend you. :) I do understand why you thought she was attacking you, but because I spend a lot of time on the boards and get to know people's personalities, I gave her the benefit of the doubt. I've never seen LMGilbert attack anyone before, so I have no reason to believe she was trying to offend you, or that she was even speaking directly to you. I assumed she was speaking of the general 'you', not YOU you. :lol: So as long as you're not planning to inundate readers with middle-of-the-road work, and put out series just to try to make more money from a story that should have ended after one book, you're not one of the people she's upset with.

I actually understand where she's coming from, too. It's getting harder and harder to find standalone novels nowadays, at least for young people, because publishers are trying to cash in on the success of trilogies and series like Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, and Twilight. And many times it's obvious the author has no idea where to take the characters after that first book. (I know from experience that series are, in some cases, being pushed on authors who originally thought of their book as a standalone.) As a mother, I didn't care how many Harry Potter books I had to buy, because they were excellent books and there was a reason the story needed to be told that way. But there are others...

And yes, threads do tend to derail at times. Unless things turn ugly we usually just go with the flow. ;) I also understand why you're getting frustrated that nobody is answering the original question, but I'm guessing it's because none of us have figured the percentage of our story that falls after the climax. Besides, you already seem to know the answer. Most books only have a chapter after the climax. You've also been encouraged to write your story however you think it needs to be written. If there is a problem with the ending, an agent or editor will work with you on that.

As for telling people what they should or shouldn't do, you can tell them, but you can't make them listen. :mrgreen:

In which case, my apologizes, LMGilbert. Can we chalk this up to newbie on these boards being mistaken as a newbie in all things writing? When I first thought of writing a story, it was going to be a Picture Book. It grew, because of the plot, not to make money. I doubt I'll make a ton of money (although I'm not complaining, if I do. :lol: ) And, honestly? Because I do know it's unlikely that it will sell enough (basic likelihood of being published and then selling enough to make it worth it for the publisher), it really can stand alone. (I'm just opposed to leaving my poor characters living on their own so young. I do love my characters.) I really will be happy if it becomes enjoyed by libraries more than buyers I'm in this for readers, not money, even if I think money means my writing is worth something. If I were into getting gobs of money from kids, I'd I'd probably make fadish T-shirts. ;)

And, Updog? Boy, do I feel stupid. I can see forest and trees with other people's questions, but can't see it's the same answer for my question. Duh, now! So why am I worried about tripping down my own aisle after getting married? As silly as it sounds, I didn't catch the connection. :oops: Thanks for spelling it out for me.
Lynn

Previous

Return to Tips and Advice