how to make friends with writer?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
FBaron

Re: how to make friends with writer?

Postby FBaron » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:55 pm

Send me homemade cookies.

I'm easy.

Anya Kylash

Postby Anya Kylash » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:53 pm

I speak with Brandon Mull on regular times on Facebook. I told him I was coming to one of his signings and he told me to tell him that I was the girl from facebook. All you do is talk to them like they're human beings. They are. Really.

Alison Croggon is a great writer and thousands have read her books, but no one really talks to her. I tried making friends with her and we spoke online for a long while, but she's sort of a media hog. If you read her books and speak with her, she's easy to get to know.

Karissa Glanville is a self published author, one of my favorites, who isn't very well known at all. But she's an amazing writer and I speak with her regularly.

Best of luck!
Finished:
Race Against Fate -101k words
Loyalties Lost -121k words
Forgotten -100k words
Friends and Foes -113k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

DrG2

Postby DrG2 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:52 pm

It helps if you are a young attractive woman and he's an old man. ;)

mammamaia

Postby mammamaia » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:48 am

or, if you're a young, studly, attractive guy and she's a 'cougar'! ;)
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

LMGilbert

Postby LMGilbert » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:12 am

Rowwr!

Laycrew

Postby Laycrew » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:49 am

You guys are funny! :lol:

Anya Kylash wrote:I speak with Brandon Mull on regular times on Facebook. I told him I was coming to one of his signings and he told me to tell him that I was the girl from facebook.

That is so cool that you have been talking to Brandon Mull on Facebook! Actually, Brandon Mull is a pretty nice guy. Since he writes MG he is going to be extra nice to his young readers no matter what they look like. My youngest met him a couple years ago at a book signing. She was very impressed and loved meeting him very much and treasures her signed copy of his book.
https://twitter.com/Laycrew
https://www.facebook.com/authorKimberlyLay

Published in: Mental Ward: Echoes of the Past Anthology

Anya Kylash

Postby Anya Kylash » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:29 pm

He's a really great guy. Actually, he suggested Writer's Market for me, so my dad bought me the deluxe edition. It had a free subscription to Writer's Digest and that's how I found this blog. He was actually really great when I told him that I'd finished a novel.
Finished:
Race Against Fate -101k words
Loyalties Lost -121k words
Forgotten -100k words
Friends and Foes -113k words

Unfinished:
Alone - 32k words

atwhatcost

Postby atwhatcost » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:58 am

adaaba, I'd recommend proofreading your comments before trying this. (Your question could have been written better, as well as giving more details on exactly what you'd like to know), but I've done it with a writer I admired. I friended him on Facebook. I read his blog whenever he has a new post. I comment on both, if I have a comment to give, and I've even helped him with his writing. (I found out one of his short stories was in a literary journal, so I bought that issue, read his short story, and found a chronological-order problem that didn't get caught before he published. I then messaged him to ask him what I should do, if I find a problem with the story line after publication, without telling him I was asking about him. He told me I should notify the author, so I did. It ends up, I saved him some embarrassment, because he wants to include that in an anthology he's writing for his short stories. lol)

Basically, friend wherever you can find him/her and then treat the person like what he is - a human being. Don't contact an author to friend him/her simply to treat him like he's some kind of god. To make friends, be a friend. BUT, particularly because they are authors, make sure your writing is proofed before sending. It's doubly embarrassing to send typos/poor writing to an author. :oops:
Lynn

Working on my first novel.

Previous

Return to Tips and Advice