[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
A fair price for a good proofread/polish edit? : Tips and Advice • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

A fair price for a good proofread/polish edit?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Re: A fair price for a good proofread/polish edit?

Postby TerryRodgers » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:58 pm

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:29 pm

Starchaser3000
Private E-2

Postby Starchaser3000 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:25 pm

I guess its all about an individuals personal taste. My book series is a parody of fiction/fantasy, but there is violence in it that has severed limbs, heads, testicles, along with splattered blood, guts, and intestines within individual fights and epic battles. When it comes to sex that might compare to 50 shades of gray, I have a graphic scene in my first volume which the MC has to have ritualized sex with a priestess so that he could obtain a special relic of power that is important to the storyline. Plus there is subject matter in relation to political, racial, and social issues which some critics on the internet have told me that some potential readers might get offended over.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:01 pm

Starchaser3000
Private E-2

Postby Starchaser3000 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:33 pm

Well I already self published my first volume. Do you know of any literary agents that would pick up my series even after I already self published the first volume?

mammamaia
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby mammamaia » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:34 am

no legit agent would bother with it unless the first book sold in the tens of thousands over a fairly short period of time...

same goes for paying publishers...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

mfarraday
Lieutenant

Postby mfarraday » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:28 pm

Taking a different tack, be on the watch for scammers. I saw a post on Twitter for an author that paid $500 to an editor living in Costa Rica. the deal fell through and she lost her $500. The editor simply didn't fulfill her end of the bargain, stonewalled the author and made excuses as to why she wasn't doing her job.

I would only hire someone based on references. There are a lot of people who can claim to be an editor, but who have no credentials or experience whatsoever. They can take your money and run. The buyer beware.

TerryRodgers
Site Admin

Postby TerryRodgers » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:52 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Advice