My history of Yankee Stadium and the Yankees

It's OK to brag here! In fact, we encourage it. Tell your fellow writers about your most recent sale, a new market you cracked, etc.
mpw
Private E-1

My history of Yankee Stadium and the Yankees

Postby mpw » Sun May 05, 2013 2:39 am

In October 2012 I self-published 125 books of my history of Yankee Stadium and the New York Yankees. It's 511 pages. The title is "Babe's Place: The Lives of Yankee Stadium." I have no more books left. Some I gave to family, friends, and the people who made a good book into a great one. I sold the rest. Much of the focus is on the building of Yankee Stadium and its opening in 1923, as well as the 1970s renovation of the Stadium. I took 230 never before seen color photos of this event with my Kodak Instamatic 100 camera.

The e-book is 509 pages and only costs $9.99. It's selling very well, and is found on lulu.com. My own website is
babes-place.com for a sampling of what's in the e-book.

While the book has 30 color photos of the 239 that appear, the e-book has about 200 color photos. The 1970s renovation photos comprise 151 photos. There are also photos of the Yankees at Shea Stadium when they played there in 1974 and 1975. Other photos show Yankee Stadium in the 1920s, the Polo Grounds, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, and Yankee Stadium in 1976 and 2008. I also pay tribute to Roger Maris. I go into great depth about the building of Yankee Stadium and have about 77 pages of text regarding the 1973-1976 renovation of Yankee Stadium. I also have about 122 opinions of former baseball players, umpires, and baseball executives as to how they feel about the modernization of Yankee Stadium. A few renovation workers also granted me interviews for this volume.

Having worked on this project for 10 years, it feels great to have finally published this work. Although I've always wanted to play for the New York Yankees, that's an impossible dream that will never die. I guess this is the closest I'll get to that goal. Also, maybe my autograph won't be totally worthless now that I'm published. This is a very proud achievement in many ways!

I

luckyshow
Private E-1

Re: My history of Yankee Stadium and the Yankees

Postby luckyshow » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:20 pm

Not sure you would know this. My grandfather owned and ran the bar/restaurant across the street from the original Yankee Stadium. Umpires, players (baseball and football) would come in after the games (I have some old scorecards signed by Stengal, etc. It was called Sportsmen's Inn and was there long enough that my dad worked there in late 40s, at least. I recall a very large, very long blown up photograph on the north wall behind the booths, of Roger Maris making a once famous early 1960s catch, robbing some hitter of a home run while falling into the stands. (over the then low wall). A Jeter catch before Jeter was born.

There seems to be absolutely nothing on this saloon anywhere on line. Except swizzle sticks for sale on Amazon. Which is odd. I am sure I have the name correct. Any remembrance of this place?

Thanks

Return to Success Stories