[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
First book on amazon! Would love some feedback :) : Success Stories • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

First book on amazon! Would love some feedback :)

It's OK to brag here! In fact, we encourage it. Tell your fellow writers about your most recent sale, a new market you cracked, etc.
laura_jayne_15
Private E-2

First book on amazon! Would love some feedback :)

Postby laura_jayne_15 » Thu May 04, 2017 1:59 pm

Hi everyone!

My ebook is now on amazon and I've had one review and it wasn't a great one :( Would appreciate any feedback anyone could give!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B071NH ... ref=plSrch
“Don't let the b******* grind you down.”

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: First book on amazon! Would love some feedback :)

Postby ostarella » Thu May 04, 2017 3:55 pm

Are you looking for more reviews or actual feedback? I ask because feedback is what you want before you publish, not after, unless you're thinking of revising and re-publishing - which is something I personally find irritating (as in, why should I buy a book that wasn't ready to publish and now I have to buy it again and/or re-read it to see what's changed?). If you want feedback, ask for it as "what I can learn for my next book". In the meantime, read the reviews, see if there are things that make sense, and also use those for your next book.
Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

laura_jayne_15
Private E-2

Postby laura_jayne_15 » Fri May 05, 2017 6:43 am

Sorry, to clarify, this book is done done. I've had it beta read and edited and the story is complete and won't be changing.

The review I've had says my story and structure is good but it needs editing grammatically/punctuation wise but to be honest, me and 3 others have been over it with a fine tooth comb and can't find the errors this person speaks of :(

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Fri May 05, 2017 8:08 am

Not to pick on you, but perhaps it's errors like using "me" instead of "I"? ;)

(btw - I used your url and couldn't make head nor tail out of the site - had to google the ASIN to find the book with the "look inside" and the review.)

Now, again, not to pick on you, but in just the first two paragraphs I immediately noticed the following:

"domino-like" versus "domino like" (plus I'm not really sure what a domino-like house looks like ;) )

"It was longer" refers, grammatically, to the wind, not the hair.

"occupying the chair" makes it confusing - which chair and where exactly was it (since the table was set for two and the MC was sitting there with Prior)?

Now, most times I would say one review shouldn't throw everything off-kilter, but if I could find these things with a quick glance, I'm thinking perhaps you need different people looking for this stuff.
Formerly shadowwalker

laura_jayne_15
Private E-2

Postby laura_jayne_15 » Fri May 05, 2017 10:10 am

Sorry, just realised I've put the Co.UK link here as I'm based in the UK. I'm also wondering if my writing style is different because of that...

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Fri May 05, 2017 10:50 am

Well, I've beta'd for a couple of Brits and I haven't noticed a style difference. Some terminology, for sure, but otherwise, no...
Formerly shadowwalker

laura_jayne_15
Private E-2

Postby laura_jayne_15 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:32 am

Obviously just my poor writing skills then!

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Fri May 05, 2017 11:40 am

I wouldn't call them "poor" - but a little more polishing would help in the future. I don't know if you did this, but I've found reading it out loud can pick up a lot of cumbersome/confusing phrasing, etc.
Formerly shadowwalker

laura_jayne_15
Private E-2

Postby laura_jayne_15 » Sun May 07, 2017 3:16 am

Free on amazon UK until midnight.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Mon May 08, 2017 8:17 am

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Next

Return to Success Stories