[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Pick Your Planet is published : Success Stories • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Pick Your Planet is published

It's OK to brag here! In fact, we encourage it. Tell your fellow writers about your most recent sale, a new market you cracked, etc.
Oldtimer
Colonel

Pick Your Planet is published

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:30 am

I wish I could say that an agent had picked up the third book in my Martian series, but that will never happen. However, I do count it a success that I have put this baby out into the world, and hope it fares well. One more book to go and the series will be complete.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

pls
Site Admin

Re: Pick Your Planet is published

Postby pls » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:50 am

Good deal, Dorothy!
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:59 am

Well done!
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:55 pm

Thank you both, gentlemen. I'm considering entering PYP in the BookLife Prize in Fiction contest. Every entry is critically assessed by the editorial staffs of Publishers Weekly and BookLife. An unbiased opinion is worth $75 in my opinion. Must make up my mind soon, though. The contest closes on 30th September.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:17 pm

The assessment from The BookLife Prize in Fiction arrived in my mailbox today. I hadn't expected it for at least five weeks. I am very happy with what the reviewer had to say, and - seeing this is the 'bragging" place - I'm copying it here for you.

Assessment: Piper offers up a fast-paced story about a young half-Martian who faces a difficult decision after working to save his people. The story moves quickly and nimbly through detailed set pieces and gives an interesting glimpse into life on Earth from an outsider's perspective. The characters are engaging and well developed, and they remind the reader that aliens have all the same interpersonal problems as humans!

Scores:

7 Plot/Idea
7 Originality
9 Prose
8 Character/Execution

Overall: 7.75

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:56 am

Pick Your Planet is doing better than I had hoped. It has reached the quarter finals in the YA category of the BookLife Prize in Fiction competition. :D

Added Mon., October 31: I need to make a retraction. "Pick Your Planet" did not reach the quarter-finals. I missed an important heading which came after the list of quarter-finalists, i.e., "Other Public Entries". Sorry to have misled you. :(
Last edited by Oldtimer on Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

tiffanyreyes
Private E-1

Postby tiffanyreyes » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:24 pm

Hooray! Good for you! :D

Carly Berg
Corporal

Postby Carly Berg » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:15 pm

Congrats, oldtimer. Good luck with it!
My books (available at Amazon):
Story Prompts That Work
Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:42 am

Great stuff. Fingers crossed you win the final.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:14 am

Thank you, all. I'll be happy if I reach the semi-finals. Here's hoping!

Oct 31: It's not going to happen. I jumped the gun. See above. :(

Return to Success Stories