[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
"bUSEs" from UNVISITED SPACES, a short story collection : Success Stories • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

"bUSEs" from UNVISITED SPACES, a short story collection

It's OK to brag here! In fact, we encourage it. Tell your fellow writers about your most recent sale, a new market you cracked, etc.
Royalty Ridge
Private E-1

Re: "bUSEs" from UNVISITED SPACES, a short story collection

Postby Royalty Ridge » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:02 pm

My point had nothing to do with successful writers. 50 Shades of Gray wouldn't even make it onto my toilet paper dispenser. There are writers who've published and their material does little for me and also may not show me that they know much about writing. That's why I am interested in the writing itself. I can measure what knowledge is there against my own. It doesn't matter one iota to me if the work is traditionally published, self-published, or unpublished. I've seen good stuff in all of them and crap in all of them.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:49 pm

My opinion still stands, even if we subtract the idea of "successful".

You said, "In other words, do they know what they are talking about? For me, the best way to determine this is to read some of the writings by the person giving advice." And again - you may decide they know because you like their writing, or you can disect their writing - that doesn't mean their advice would work for all other writers, or even a majority of them. Writers, like other artists, can only tell you what works for them. Whether it works in general is a whole 'nother story.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Royalty Ridge
Private E-1

Postby Royalty Ridge » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:55 am

I think we're talking past each other. It's a given that what works for one writer may not work for others. I'm merely saying that if advice is offered you, you want to have confidence that the adviser knows what s/he is talking about, and the best way, IMO, is to read some of what that person has produced. To that end, it would be informative if there were a section on this message board (and all writer message boards) where each contributor posted a thousand words or so of what they consider to be their best writing. Everyone has opinions on matters, but that hardly means that one is just as good as another. I could probably instruct you how to do a heart transplant, but I'm no doctor and so it would behoove you to know that before saying "Cut away."

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:31 am

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

Royalty Ridge
Private E-1

Postby Royalty Ridge » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:53 am

You're way off base. Next time you send something off to an editor or an agent, make sure you tell them about the straight A's you got in English, the essay contest you won in your senior year, the MFA you got from some college, what your views are on 1st person vs 3rd person, on stream-of-consciousness, the advice you give to other writers, and so on. All those items will tell him that you know something about writing. Your manuscript can go directly to publication; he doesn't even need to read it.

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:21 am

Although it won't guarantee you getting published, an MFA in your query will get more attention than not having one. :D

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:58 am

Royalty Ridge
Private E-1

Postby Royalty Ridge » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:41 pm

What I get repeated from you is that a person reading the advice and recommendations of others should take it on faith that they know what they are talking about. That makes no sense.

Two posts above you were connecting what someone likes or dislikes in a person's writing would lead you to think they know something or they don't. SPEAK FOR YOURSELF. How unfair it would have been to my students if I had approached their thousands of compositions with a mindset as you described. No matter what topic they selected to write on, what I looked for was how they handled the writing and development, not whether I like the topic or even if I liked them. Same goes for any book or story I pick up. I don't have to like the genre, I don't have to like the author, I don't even need to know who he or she is; what I do look for is evidence they know something about handling storytelling.

Let me ask you a very direct question: Why I should put any faith in advice or recommendations from you? Seriously.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:56 pm

Let's cool our jets. Discussion is good. Bickering is not. Keep it civil.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:22 pm

The Rule of Three

PreviousNext

Return to Success Stories