[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
"bUSEs" from UNVISITED SPACES, a short story collection : Success Stories • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

"bUSEs" from UNVISITED SPACES, a short story collection

It's OK to brag here! In fact, we encourage it. Tell your fellow writers about your most recent sale, a new market you cracked, etc.
Royalty Ridge
Private E-1

"bUSEs" from UNVISITED SPACES, a short story collection

Postby Royalty Ridge » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:26 am

The story in the following link is from my short story collection, UNVISITED SPACES and Twelve Other Stories. I've urged everyone to read it. At the heart of the story is a hunch, except it is the worst of hunches. One can move on the hunch or not, and there are two possible outcomes for each. Ask yourself what you would do if you were in the same circumstances and setting as my character. As an aside, I originally thought of titling it The Hunch, but in the end I considered it best to make the title a reminder of what could happen.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/francis- ... 2169976350

pls
Site Admin

Re: "bUSEs" from UNVISITED SPACES, a short story collection

Postby pls » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:19 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Royalty Ridge
Private E-1

Postby Royalty Ridge » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:15 am

I guess I'm missing something here. I thought there was a spot to show one's work. Let me ask you this: if I copied the entire story to this thread, without reference to its provenance, etc., is that allowed?

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:26 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Royalty Ridge
Private E-1

Postby Royalty Ridge » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:51 pm

Okay, thanks. However, that does bring up another important question, but I'll leave it for another time.

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:48 am

Put the link to your book in your signature. Then you don't have to advertise as people will see your signature.

Royalty Ridge
Private E-1

Postby Royalty Ridge » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:47 am

Thanks. That likely eliminates the question I had. On this board for writers, as on, I think, all of them, I wonder just how much one should trust the advice offered by others. In other words, do they know what they are talking about? For me, the best way to determine this is to read some of the writings by the person giving advice. To that end,I sometimes access their website and read some of what is there, if anything. Also, if they've published and the book is on Amazon and the Look Inside feature is available, I read several of the pages. It's really about the only thing that works for me, although I certainly wouldn't dismiss Strunk & White and several others who know what sells and why it sells.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:39 am

The problem with advice from writers is that, no matter how successful they are, they can only tell you what worked for them (and sometimes for that particular book). I've read advice from many very, very successful authors - and the number of times one will totally contradict another is amazing. Read the advice, try it, see how much you have to tweak it to make it work for you, or if it will work for you at all.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:40 am

You won't find anything published from me. I'm still learning. :D

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:44 am

What shadowwalker has said is all to true. I've had many bestselling authors, some that have sold tens of millions of novels, tell me my writing is fantastic, yet five novels later, still no agent. So....

Next

Return to Success Stories