Essay Published

It's OK to brag here! In fact, we encourage it. Tell your fellow writers about your most recent sale, a new market you cracked, etc.
Laruuk
Private E-2

Essay Published

Postby Laruuk » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:50 pm

Laruuk
Private E-2

Essay Published

Postby Laruuk » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:50 pm

The essay I posted in the critique forum last week will be published in the U.S. Army, Alaska paper.

I know the public affairs officer, so I emailed her a query. She asked me for the article and forwarded it to the editor. It is in the 17 March 06 issue and online here. http://www.usarak.army.mil/alaskapost/Mar17Story4.asp

Even though this isn't main stream and a freebie, I can't believe how exciting it is.

I can say I'm published, and that is kinda cool.

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

RE: Essay Published

Postby abqwriter » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:03 pm

This is an a great first publication - and most op eds are not paid for, but they're still considered published clips.  Thanks for sharing with us and congrats!

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:49 pm

That's great news! Just think how many people are reading your work now. That's the fun part of publication!

Clare

Aspiring
Lieutenant

Postby Aspiring » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:39 am

Congratulations! I think it's wonderful.

After I had an essay accepted for publication in a freebie parenting magazine that didn't pay, I left my parents a message, very excited that I was at least getting a byline. My dad called me a short time later to tell me that Sinatra sang for free for years before being discovered.

Your published essay is just the beginning. Congratulations and continued success!

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:20 am

Oh, wonderful, Steve! Keep at it!

Georganna
Brigadier General

Postby Georganna » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:46 pm

Great going, Steve.  When I was starting out, I think it was Military Life that published one of my first articles, probably about coping with a toddler and Daddy being at sea.  I've added you to my list in MSN Spaces!

Laruuk
Private E-2

Just picked up the paper

Postby Laruuk » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:37 pm

Everyone, thank you very much for the kind words.

Being the Post Paper, there are an abundance of them lying around. I didn't go on post yesterday (had a four-day weekend) so I didn't pick one up until today.

My wife thumbed through it and couldn't find my piece, even though I'd already seen it online. She tumbed through it again and lo and behold ... I made page two! A good portion of it on top of that. It was cool enough seeing my bit on their website, but to actually hold it in my hands and see "by Sgt. Stephen C. Young" was amazing.

All I can say is WOW! I was addicted to writing before, now that I understand the rush of seeing my own byline ... it's more than a drug, it's a necessity. :)

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:40 pm

I would send the online link to some of the major op-ed editors of papers.  It might be picked up by some of those papers as well.  It was very well written and moving.

And now you know what an addicting aphrodasiac a byline can be!  You're beyond hope of escaping now.  :)

Aspiring
Lieutenant

RE: Just picked up the paper

Postby Aspiring » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:18 am

Congratulations once again. I'm looking forward to *hearing* about your next success. Keep writing and submitting.

Next

Return to Success Stories