[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Second place aint too shabby : Success Stories • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Second place aint too shabby

It's OK to brag here! In fact, we encourage it. Tell your fellow writers about your most recent sale, a new market you cracked, etc.
abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:01 pm

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:01 pm

Some time ago, a contest was listed on the forums here for a personal essay contest through Women Writers of the Desert in Arizona.  The topic was a life changing event.  I wrote about the night I received a call that something was wrong with my baby's blood count. 

Well, I got a call yesterday that I actually won second place in the national contest. 

You know, as a writer, it was better than a call from Ed McMahon himself!

My family's response:  Cool.  What's for supper? 

(Thought you all here might understand my elation a bit better than non-writers.)

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

RE: Second place aint too shabby

Postby KarenRankowitz » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:18 pm

Lisa,

That's great news.  Especially a national contest.  Hope you told the family to take you out for dinner.

Good for you - it's always exciting to hear of any win and I'd be elated too - happy for you.

Karen :)

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:20 am

Whoa, Lisa!!! That's awesome! Another bullet for the resume/query letter. I'm proud of you!

Aspiring
Lieutenant

Postby Aspiring » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:37 am

Whoo-hoo! Congratulations! I completely understand your elation as well as your family's response. Let's have a big celebration here for you, cookies, lattes, and ice cream all around!

swweeks
Private E-2

Postby swweeks » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:30 am

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:16 am

Rita
Private E-1

Postby Rita » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:00 pm

Congrats! What a great feeling that must be! To know that someone looked at your writing and said "You know what? This is GOOD."

Rita

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:39 pm

They're supposed to post it on their website; when it's up, I'll post the link here.

It was one of those pieces that I was really proud of, so that made it extra special to actually win a prize.

I used to think it wasn't worth being proud about if it wasn't first place, but I got over that a long time ago.  I was thrilled that it wasn't in the slush pile.  That's good enough for me to do a happy dance!

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:44 pm

Next

Return to Success Stories