[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The book that made me an author : Success Stories • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

The book that made me an author

It's OK to brag here! In fact, we encourage it. Tell your fellow writers about your most recent sale, a new market you cracked, etc.
khaledtalib
Private E-1

The book that made me an author

Postby khaledtalib » Tue May 12, 2015 9:20 pm

Hi everyone,

Inspiration can come from everywhere, anytime and any place. But the one thing all writers agree is that you must read lots and lots of books if you want to be an author. It doesn't have to be the same genre that you are writing about. It can be any book, whatever appeals to you.

The Hound, a mysterious book reviewer in the United Kingdom, contacted me recently and invited me to write a piece about the novel that inspired me to write my own.
There were lots, but the one book, a thriller that stood out was this one. Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Identity.

Here's the link to the piece I wrote :

Best wishes,
Khaled
Singapore

TJDaileyIV
Private E-1

Re: The book that made me an author

Postby TJDaileyIV » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:03 pm

I can still remember the October afternoon.

The sun was out, it was warm, but the chimney-spice smell of fall was thick in the air. My parents were in St. Louis with my sister and her two year old daughter. She had a form of blood cancer that is only supposed to affect the elderly and the severely unlucky.

She was 24. And unlucky.

Two months before I was passed over in the MLB draft after receiving calls from the Royals and Dodgers saying I was a definite late-rounder.

Obviously, neither called back.

Freshly graduated with a communications degree, childhood dreams shattered, and family hanging in the balance on my sister’s health, I was lost. My last two years of college were filled with several courses that I took solely to stay eligible for baseball. Two of those courses were Playwriting and Screenwriting. I was trying my hand at stand-up comedy at the time, so I had a bunch of material ready to use. Why not try them out.

Well, I ended up winning a playwriting competition and a screenwriting contest those years, and I caught the writing bug. The only problem was I didn’t want to move to LA or get involved in that greasy industry. But it was on that early October day when The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury came in the mail with a box of books I’d ordered to pass the time while my family was out of town. It had a great cover that fit with the beautiful day, so I started with that. Add in a pumpkin spice coffee and some Danny Elfman on the patio speakers, and you get the most nostalgia-filled, perfect fall afternoon EVER.

And, so, it was from that moment on I knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life writing crazy, fantastical, autumn-tinged fiction!

Return to Success Stories