Going Back to 6th Grade

It's OK to brag here! In fact, we encourage it. Tell your fellow writers about your most recent sale, a new market you cracked, etc.
Clicky
Private E-2

Going Back to 6th Grade

Postby Clicky » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:47 pm

Clicky
Private E-2

Going Back to 6th Grade

Postby Clicky » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:47 pm

OMG today was sooooo fun...okay, in my pod, first of all, we had a European food day, and I made crepes, and we have to bring it in early before all the other kids, so after I dropped off my platter, I decided, heck, why not visit my old teachers this morning and chat??? So I got to the second floor and I see all my old teachers, but its Mr. Olson who totally is like, rocking out loud.

THis is sooo not near my convo but what i can 'amemba:

MR. O - Hey, its Liz!!!
LIZ - omg, hey mr. Olson, mr. witmir (my math teach who hated me last year cuz i never did my homework)
MR. O - Still writing?
LIZ - Yep, of course
MR. O - Do you like the writing you do this year??? Still the same?
LIZ - Nah, I like 6th's grade writing better. This year I have to write more about myself. I liked--
MR. O - SciFi writing? Yea...
*I nod cuz I didn't know what else to say*
LIZ - Yea, well I have to go to class...
MR. O - Oh, yea...ok...make sure you keep writing! I want to read your first book when it comes out! I'll be the first one to read it!!!
LIZ - *nervously laughs, like I could publish something!!! HAH!!!* Sure will, bye!!!

Yea...so that was my convo. My math teacher didnt say anything cuz he totally hates me. I hate math. I got C-'s last year but this year with my AWESOME teacher, Mrs. LaDue(LaDuester as my friends like to call her) I have like, A's and B's!!! lol well yea, my science teacher Mr. Olson tottttallly believes that I can make it as a writer cuz he told me that I wrote older than my age and was phenomenol!!! lol oops, g2g

Aspiring

RE: Going Back to 6th Grade

Postby Aspiring » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:30 am

Keep those positive comments in the back of your mind and bring them out when you need them. My fifth grade teacher, who's probably dead by now (I'm 40!) said she expected to see my name on a book on a bookstore shelf someday. When I feel stilted, I remember her comments and push myself forward.

On the other hand, my high school, freshman year English teacher told me, "Frankly, you can't write for your life." Exactly that. I walked out of her class crying so hard I could hardly see where I was going, and happened to walk into (not quite literally) the sophomore honors English teacher who asked what was the matter. I told her, though I didn't know her, and she told me to sign up for her class for next year. Due to curriculum changes, I had her for two years, and wrote a novel over the course of 2 years worth of journal writing for her. She and fellow classmates loved my writing.

My point, if there is one, is hold on tight to all positive comments, and take the negatives with a grain of salt. Just keep writing!

P.S. I'm not so great at math either.

Clicky
Private E-2

Postby Clicky » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:34 am

omg i cant believe a teacher would say that!!! How rude!!! omg!!! I would like, be STEEMING!!! lol :) But hey, i guess its good to run into another english teacher by accident!!! Thanks for the story and advice!!! I certainly will!!!!!!!!!

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:28 pm

Hi, Clicky. I came across this quote and thought of you:

"Most of the basic material a writer works with is acquired before the age of 15." Willa Cather.

Happy writing!

Clicky
Private E-2

Postby Clicky » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:27 pm

omg thanks!!! That quote is sooooo awesome!!! thanks!!!

;) liz

touchstone
Sergeant First Class

Postby touchstone » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:54 pm

LOL don't worry too much about your math. I'm in eleventh grade and usually get C's in math but I'm a candidate for National Honor Society because good grades in the other subjects keep my GPA high. Work those writing skills in every subject you can, from biology lap reports to history DBQs, no matter how boring, and your future is made!

Return to Success Stories