My First Romance Published POD!!!

It's OK to brag here! In fact, we encourage it. Tell your fellow writers about your most recent sale, a new market you cracked, etc.
jshashaty

Postby jshashaty » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:56 am

jshashaty

Postby jshashaty » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:56 am

Hi!! I just wanted to say I went ahead and published my first romance POD with iUniverse. It was kinda a tough call in that there is a stigma out there that if you publish POD its only because you have been turned down by traditional.

Well I never went traditional... not the first time around. I decided to get my first baby under my belt, the way I wanted, with my cover and my input. My next step is to use that success to find myself an agent while I write my second book.

I am a bit nervous, doing my own marketing...although in my former life I was in sales and marketing so its not unfamiliar territory. Of course this is a bit more personal. I was careful chosing my title... not my first choice necessarily... I picked Bermuda Hearts: A Bennington Hall Legacy. Now mind you, my working title was much different. But I figured since this book will be listed on Amazon and Barnes and Noble and such, I wanted a title that would come up more likely and get more notice, not something that would have 100 other romances under it. Since the story takes place partly in Bermuda, it seemed obscure enough to give me some search results since my name... probably won't get the job done.

I also found very few support groups and writers groups for the POD... it is almost like a closet industry, so I started a forum at http://www.romancenews.com to act as a writers group... hoping to find other Writers who are interested in Romance writing... trying the POD route. Maybe we could lean on each other a bit... writing buddies and such.

Its an uphill climb, there are ALOT of books out there...and mine... a needle in the haystack...sigh... onward and upward.

Jen

Aspiring

RE: My First Romance Published POD!!!

Postby Aspiring » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:33 am

Good luck to you! Keep us posted on how the marketing goes.

jshashaty

Postby jshashaty » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:44 am

No problem. I am waiting for my actual copies.... but I have been making lists and setting up targets to call on. My first project was my press release. Then I am waiting for the book to be picked up by the major online retailers to make purchasing a bit easier... once that is done... we're good to go.. my first target - the local marketplace.

mushanaa

Postby mushanaa » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:24 pm

Let me know how that goes. Is it historical or what? I enjoy reading books that have some romance in them. So what do you mean by POD?

jshashaty

Postby jshashaty » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:55 pm

Well - blow me down... I just got a note and I am in shock - iUniverse placed my book out there - today... I just checked Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Borders... all 3 online have my book. I'm out of paper bags to breathe into and have been informed not to use plastic... sigh.

(POD is print on demand... the big three right now are iUniverse (Barnes and Noble) Xlibris (Bantam) and Author House. Amazon just bought one too... but they are new on the scene. POD is about 3 years old... possible now through technology thanks to Xerox. In POD your book is placed in their system and printed when ordered - or printed on demand). This saves the publisher teh enormous overhead of running off your book before hand in test runs and distribution. Without the web - there would be no POD. This is different than vanity press where you ran the press... and there was still a large upfront cost. I have seen some POD publishers that charge nothing - like Lulu.com or cafepress.com ... I wanted something other than barebones... and I heard the quality on those was not as strong... but the business seems to be changing faster than the computer business, so tomorrow that could be wrong.)

I heard about it in a round-about way... and was totally skeptical, but we shall see. So far I am totally impressed.

I just signed up for the Google Book search.. to help market the book....evidently they have added some safety measures to prevent plagerism... so it is another outlet for sales.

HEre is a great site that goes into some of the POD books out there... its called POD-dy mouth and the blogger is a hoot! I am hoping to get her to review my book... but we shall see...

http://girlondemand.blogspot.com/

Jen

Aspiring

Postby Aspiring » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:10 am

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Keep us posted -- I wouldn't have considered the POD avenue before, but now I'm thinking it sounds interesting. I'll be very interested to hear more about your success. Good luck.

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:44 pm

Congratulations. Just curious now, and don't mean to imply anything about the new industry, but a few questions:
Were you offered any editorial services? Do you get the opportunity to proof your text once they took it into their system, and lastly, did they give you a hard copy?

jshashaty

Postby jshashaty » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:35 pm

Thank you! I just got my books today....

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... s2Pid=9481

Let me answer your questions because they are some of the same ones I had when I started this process. Yes I did get the chance to proof it. I was given up to 50 corrections at no charge... in reality I went over that and my rep was very nice and let it go.

There are editorial services if I wanted them, and I expected an attempt to sell me on them. I was surprised when no attempt was made. Honestly there are other bare bones POD services... I picked iUniverse because I had no clue on publishing and wanted something where someone would be there to help and answer questions. I guess there is lulu.com and lighteningsource if you want barebones. There are also some not so good companies... that charge you and you dont get much for it... or lose your copyright.

They also have marketing services if you want to hire an 'agent'. The thing is, I never felt pushed to use any of these, and still havent been. They are there if I want them... which I really appreciate... but no pressure.

When I signed with iUniverse - I sent them my book on Nov 15 and I just got my copies today... so it took 2 1/2 months including all prep time and such... my deal included 15 copies of my book.

The deals vary.... I worked with a woman there and since things are evolving so fast, I called her and asked if I could pass on her information... so she could answer questions you might have. She agreed... I certainly dont want to say one thing and have that change.

Her name is Agnes Hoepker 1-800-Authors ext 244. She went out of her way to help me make sure I put together an appropriate package... the packages change all the time so she would be able to answer best what is out there. If you want to talk to her... feel free to mention this post.

I think that covers all your questions for now :)

JEn

jshashaty

Postby jshashaty » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:56 am

I have a few leads I am working on for book placement. First and foremost... I contacted our local grocery chain. They happen to sell books...in a big way, including book signings and more. They sent me to their buyer who sent me to their wholesaler who is working on picking up the book!

Also I have looked a couple independent bookstores - yes, they are out there! They love something different.

And Barnes and Noble, bless them, have scheduled my book signing for August.

I contacted my alumni publications for my University and High School and am going to be included in their newsletters. Also I contacted my University's book store, who sells books for general reading. I am hoping they will pick up the title as well.

I am reviewing the google search engine right now to see how their dynamics work, including their new Google books. Honestly - Im not keen about my book being out there, but since you can only see 20% of the book, and there are new security measures, I dont suppose there is anything different than someone walking into a Borders and reading the first few chapters of my book... it helps make a buying decision. As a new writer I just want to get out there.

Next, I am working on my press release... for my site and to get out for publicity.

It's pretty cool having control over my own promotion. I know exactly what is going on... it is also alot of work, but I'm not ready to hire a publicist (iUniverse has offered one...and I may consider it when I run low on ideas).

Thats all for now.

Next

Return to Success Stories