My Writers Digest Contest evaluation

It's OK to brag here! In fact, we encourage it. Tell your fellow writers about your most recent sale, a new market you cracked, etc.
Starchaser3000

My Writers Digest Contest evaluation

Postby Starchaser3000 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:52 pm

My book titled "Fantastica" did not win the thing, and I only got a 3 out of 5 for my first crack at being a self published author. But here is the overall evaluation of the judge that critiqued my book.

"The comic aspect was refreshing and "idea" of the story is very unique. This book may have to create a whole genre of its own! Good thing about that is, the writer can never be compared to another. This book has a style all its own and it owns it from beginning to end."

Not bad for a first time amateur author like me huh? 8-)

Basie

Re: My Writers Digest Contest evaluation

Postby Basie » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Very nice. How high did you fly????
Writing is excessive drudgery: it dims your sight, crooks your back, twists your stomach & your sides....Three fingers write, but the whole body labours. ~Eighth Century Scribe~

Basie

Postby Basie » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Very nice. How high did you fly????
Writing is excessive drudgery: it dims your sight, crooks your back, twists your stomach & your sides....Three fingers write, but the whole body labours. ~Eighth Century Scribe~

Starchaser3000

Postby Starchaser3000 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:16 pm

I did not fly anywhere. :D But it felt good to know that my hard work was critically recognized in a way that was encouraging enough to want me to keep on writing/publishing. I had entered my book back in April, and it was great to finally get closure on it.

EccentricKim

Postby EccentricKim » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:53 pm

that sounds awesome! Congratulations!
Previously published writer starting over.

JeffSwitt

Postby JeffSwitt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:56 am

I find it curious that a judge reviewing writing would get caught using the words "very unique."

mammamaia

Postby mammamaia » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:22 am

ditto that, jeff!

gives one to wonder who the judges are, what their qualifications are and how they're chosen...
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Starchaser3000

Postby Starchaser3000 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:25 pm

JeffSwitt wrote:I find it curious that a judge reviewing writing would get caught using the words "very unique."

Well I only got a 3 out of 5 in the overall rating, so my work was judged to be flawed and imperfect for sure. But I was told that this particular editorial evaluation could be seen on the March 2013 issue of writers digest along with the other entries, so there you go. :) I know my work was not written perfectly, but I did write it to be....original. ;)

And mammamaia quit being a jealous hater. 8-)

mammamaia

Postby mammamaia » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:32 am

there's nothing for me to be jealous of, sc... and i'm a lover, not a hater...

if i was, or if i had any ulterior motive, would i have spent so much time and effort on trying to help you?... or bothered to answer every one of your dozens of emails?
ALL 6 e-book collections of my work are FREE...email me with "want free books" in subject line and include a message.

FREE writing help/mentoring: http://www.saysmom.com

"You must BE the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

updog

Postby updog » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:33 am

Starchaser3000 wrote:
JeffSwitt wrote:I find it curious that a judge reviewing writing would get caught using the words "very unique."

Well I only got a 3 out of 5 in the overall rating, so my work was judged to be flawed and imperfect for sure. But I was told that this particular editorial evaluation could be seen on the March 2013 issue of writers digest along with the other entries, so there you go. :) I know my work was not written perfectly, but I did write it to be....original. ;)

And mammamaia quit being a jealous hater. 8-)

I think you missed the point, Starchaser. "Very unique" is not something you'd expect an experienced editor to say, as the word "unique" means one of a kind, and putting "very" in front of it is pointless.

Next

Return to Success Stories