My Three Wishes 10/2-10/8

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
venezuelanangel
Private E-1

Re: My Three Wishes 10/2-10/8

Postby venezuelanangel » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:47 pm

If a genie could grant me three wishes I'd ask for:
1. A full scholarship when i graduate high school so that i could focus on my grades rather than work.
2. That my family will remain safe and healthy.
3. To become more independent and excel in what i decide to do.

venezuelanangel
Private E-1

Postby venezuelanangel » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:47 pm

If a genie could grant me three wishes I'd ask for:
1. A full scholarship when i graduate high school so that i could focus on my grades rather than work.
2. That my family will remain safe and healthy.
3. To become more independent and excel in what i decide to do.

faydiablo
Private E-1

Postby faydiablo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:39 am

You know how, in fairy tales, they always have the three wishes, and they always either wish for something shockingly heroic or startlingly selfish?

See, I'm not like that. Sure, number one would probably be to be a millionaire, but my number two would be to end all this nonsense with these religions, all bickering and squabbling over nothing. So one guy's a Christian and another's a Pagan- why shouldn't they be able to get along? Isn't it possible, at all?

The last thing I would wish for would be immortality, because I'm just that silly and vain.

faydiablo
Private E-1

Postby faydiablo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:39 am

You know how, in fairy tales, they always have the three wishes, and they always either wish for something shockingly heroic or startlingly selfish?

See, I'm not like that. Sure, number one would probably be to be a millionaire, but my number two would be to end all this nonsense with these religions, all bickering and squabbling over nothing. So one guy's a Christian and another's a Pagan- why shouldn't they be able to get along? Isn't it possible, at all?

The last thing I would wish for would be immortality, because I'm just that silly and vain.

MIAMIDARRELL
Private E-1

Postby MIAMIDARRELL » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:37 pm

After some thought, I have decided upon the following three wishes:

Wish #1: This wish would be given to an individual with the compassion, empathy and understanding that I do not posses to heal the suffering, solve conflicts world-wide and generally make this a better place to live.

Wish #2: Be granted all the means necessary to experience all my hopes, dreams and ambitions.

Wish #3: Be granted the ability to perform one random act of kindness to a perfect stranger, per day

plblair
Private E-1

Postby plblair » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:16 am

Three wishes ... from a (hopefully) benevolent genie. (Are there such in the world?) OK, here goes:

1. For myself ... That my writing will take off and blaze a rainbow across the sky at the end of which really is a pot of gold (for me).

2. For the world ... That all of us humans could come to an understanding that we are much more alike than we are different, and that, armed with such awareness, we could forge a true and lasting peace among us all.

3. For our world and beyond ... That we could learn to live in peace and harmony with all the world around us, that we could receive the wisdom that would enable us to live gently upon the land and care for and nurture nature and ourselves.

plblair
Private E-1

Postby plblair » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:16 am

Three wishes ... from a (hopefully) benevolent genie. (Are there such in the world?) OK, here goes:

1. For myself ... That my writing will take off and blaze a rainbow across the sky at the end of which really is a pot of gold (for me).

2. For the world ... That all of us humans could come to an understanding that we are much more alike than we are different, and that, armed with such awareness, we could forge a true and lasting peace among us all.

3. For our world and beyond ... That we could learn to live in peace and harmony with all the world around us, that we could receive the wisdom that would enable us to live gently upon the land and care for and nurture nature and ourselves.

Alondra
Private E-1

RE: My Three Wishes 10/2-10/8

Postby Alondra » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:31 pm

I thought she was just another lost soul off her meds. She was dressed in a luscious green velvet gown that looked like a lucky thrift store find, and since we were in a thrift store in a questionable neighborhood, I just moved on to the book section taking the brass urn I’d just picked up. I tried not to make eye contact. She followed me leafing through a well-worn copy of Skeleton Crew and speaking in a low voice, as if we were in a library.

“Not that I don’t want to lounge about here all day with you, but I’ve really got things to do. Rules are rules, however, and I’ve got to give you what you want. Three things you want, actually.”

I wanted her to go away.

“I could really use a set of double D’s, since you’re offering,” I said with a dismissive snark turning towards the non-fiction rack. I’d hardly taken my next breath when I felt a surge of heat and pain in my chest. My hands came to my chest and my chest rose to meet them. I looked down and everything went black.

Clearly irritated, she lifted me up with disquieting ease. I looked down expecting to see the same old same old; I couldn’t see my feet—all boobs. I had to sit down. I went to the furniture section and found a mostly clean orange couch.

“So, anything I want?” I was looking up at her. She looked down at me with one noble looking brow lifted.

“Not absolutely anything. You were thinking world peace, weren’t you?” She tossed her head back but didn’t laugh. “I can bend physics a bit; I can, say, encourage a person or two to do something they might not otherwise do, but I can’t control the behavior of billions of free willed beings.”

“poop unicorns and rainbows, I really was thinking world peace,” I said looking at my hands. I was thinking of asking for one wish per day for the rest of my life.

“No, you can’t have that either,” she said. She was smirking now. Eek.

Having wishes to fulfill was a lot of pressure. I don’t like pressure. I dropped out of college because of the pressure. I dumped my last boyfriend because of pressure. I quit my last job as a bank teller because of the pressure.

“Oh well, I guess I’ll take true love and a million dollars.” I shrugged and looked for her approval.

“Not a bad choice, deary.” She sighed. “True love is a myth, you know, but I can lend a helping hand, those new breasts will be a nice assist too. I can at least assure you that the money won’t hurt.” She winked and walked towards the door. She stepped aside as an attractive man with a sweet smile entered the shop. Our eyes met.

Alondra
Private E-1

RE: My Three Wishes 10/2-10/8

Postby Alondra » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:31 pm

I thought she was just another lost soul off her meds. She was dressed in a luscious green velvet gown that looked like a lucky thrift store find, and since we were in a thrift store in a questionable neighborhood, I just moved on to the book section taking the brass urn I’d just picked up. I tried not to make eye contact. She followed me leafing through a well-worn copy of Skeleton Crew and speaking in a low voice, as if we were in a library.

“Not that I don’t want to lounge about here all day with you, but I’ve really got things to do. Rules are rules, however, and I’ve got to give you what you want. Three things you want, actually.”

I wanted her to go away.

“I could really use a set of double D’s, since you’re offering,” I said with a dismissive snark turning towards the non-fiction rack. I’d hardly taken my next breath when I felt a surge of heat and pain in my chest. My hands came to my chest and my chest rose to meet them. I looked down and everything went black.

Clearly irritated, she lifted me up with disquieting ease. I looked down expecting to see the same old same old; I couldn’t see my feet—all boobs. I had to sit down. I went to the furniture section and found a mostly clean orange couch.

“So, anything I want?” I was looking up at her. She looked down at me with one noble looking brow lifted.

“Not absolutely anything. You were thinking world peace, weren’t you?” She tossed her head back but didn’t laugh. “I can bend physics a bit; I can, say, encourage a person or two to do something they might not otherwise do, but I can’t control the behavior of billions of free willed beings.”

“poop unicorns and rainbows, I really was thinking world peace,” I said looking at my hands. I was thinking of asking for one wish per day for the rest of my life.

“No, you can’t have that either,” she said. She was smirking now. Eek.

Having wishes to fulfill was a lot of pressure. I don’t like pressure. I dropped out of college because of the pressure. I dumped my last boyfriend because of pressure. I quit my last job as a bank teller because of the pressure.

“Oh well, I guess I’ll take true love and a million dollars.” I shrugged and looked for her approval.

“Not a bad choice, deary.” She sighed. “True love is a myth, you know, but I can lend a helping hand, those new breasts will be a nice assist too. I can at least assure you that the money won’t hurt.” She winked and walked towards the door. She stepped aside as an attractive man with a sweet smile entered the shop. Our eyes met.

Imogine
Private E-1

Postby Imogine » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:26 pm

1) I'd wish for another baby.
2) I'd wish for a career that suited me.
3) And I would wish for a closet full of Ann Taylor and Lily Pulitzer.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges