My Three Wishes 10/2-10/8

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
jess17
Private E-1

RE: My Three Wishes 10/2-10/8

Postby jess17 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:02 pm

1) Become a mother

2) Never have any financial worries again

3) My family to live happy and healthy lives

freda
Private E-1

Postby freda » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:47 am

I was strolling along the beach of Waikiki when I saw a bottle on the ground. It was beautifully etched. My thoughts went back to my childhood-stories of genies and all. I sat down, looked around to make sure I was alone. Wopuld you believe I rubbed the bottle.? Well, there's an inner child in all of us, I say.

A female voice giggled behind me. " I don't believe you did that." Hi. What ever are you doing down there? Not what it lookes like, I hope."

I couldn't believe what happened next. I blushed-beet red-up to my hair roots.

" Well, I-I-."

" My name is Jeanne and I own this part of the beach. What are you doing on my property?"

I was more tongue-tied than ever. But I managed a squeak.

" Making wishes".
" What did you wish for?"
" Does it matter? Genies don't really exist."
" Oh, no? Am I chopped liver?"
She held out her hand to me.
She was definitely not chopped liver.
Like I said, there is an inner child in all of us. I'm working on those three wishes that all genies grant.

Tara_jmc
Private E-1

Re: My Three Wishes 10/2-10/8

Postby Tara_jmc » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:16 pm

There are alot of things that I cold wish for, but until recently it would all be material things. As of today, I have 3 wishes that don't intail possessions. So these are my 3 wishes:

1) That my children and I were all together again and very happy.

2) That I had a perfect body that I was totally happy with.

3) I could have my own house with a room just for my books and my computer.

Cromagmel
Private E-1

Postby Cromagmel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:43 am

“Watch where you’re stepping! Geez, you’d think I could get one evening off work. I am so tired of always being at other people’s mercy.”
My first instinct is to ignore this drama queen in turquoise pantaloon pants and beaded belly top and enjoy the rest of this costume gig at the local dive. But I was raised right. Darn. So I apologize.
“You get three wishes,” she sighs.
Well. She’s definitely had one too many. It seems she’s committed to the part. Or should be. Committed, that is.
“Sure,” I joke,” I wish they would play some decent music around here, you know?”
She nods slightly and walks over to talk to the band. Boy is she ever taking this seriously. A minute later, a driving bass beat is pounding its way through my body and I have to smile. She’s got good taste in music at least. I shrug mentally and join my friends on the dance floor.
I’m just settling into the groove with a very tall and slightly drunken man when I see her again in the middle of the place. She stands stick straight in a bubble of calm. She arches a brow at me as if saying “Well? I’m waiting!” This is getting creepy.
I bat away a wandering hand from Mr. Tall, Drunk and Handsome and make my way to her.
“Are you still on this kick? If you’re so all-powerful, why are you in this dive dressed like a harem girl? Why aren’t you in some palace somewhere giving out wishes to the highest bidder? You’d make a fortune!”
“Maybe wealth wasn’t my wish. Maybe you didn’t bump into me.”
Great. A cryptic answer from a loony. What was I expecting?
“OK, how about this one? I wish you would go away!” I shout over the music.
“Granted, as soon as you formulate your third wish. I have a taxi waiting anyway.” She pauses and squints slightly. “You’re not taking this seriously, are you? Make this last one a good one. Please.”
I am really getting mad. I just want to say something that will make her face her powerlessness, break through her delusions and inebriated state.
“I wish I had the power to snap my fingers and make dreams come true. Try to make that happen,” I gloat.
“Done,” she whispers, then “Sucker” so softly I don’t know if I heard right. She walks away.
I suddenly experience a weird feeling of vulnerability, like you get when you’re giving a nightmare presentation and you forgot your clothes. I feel tired and weighted down. Did she slip me something? I walk away from the dance floor to intercept her. She seems to have changed out of her costume.
“What was your wish?”
Is that pity I detect in her eyes?
“Freedom.”
I look down at my beaded turquoise breasts and pantalooned legs and start to cry.

heathermoreland
Private First Class

Postby heathermoreland » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:58 pm

My three wishes:

1. Every underdog would have "Rocky" strength and everyone who thinks they're better than those "beneath them" would receive a reality check.

2. Heaven to be on earth. Which would solve all problems there. But, anyway, my third is:

3. To have never met a certain person whom I can't seem to get out of my mind that should not be there nearly as often as they are. For their world is not a world for me, neither can the two intertwine; but oh how strongly they linger in my thoughts. :o

random_bibliophile
Private E-1

Postby random_bibliophile » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:54 pm

Haha, this is something I think about everyday. Only problem is that my wishes change as I get older, so this is actually a really difficult question to answer. So...here goes nuffin.

1) To be the lead singer/guitar player in a rock band I myself founded [I love music nearly as much as words, and since I already do all I can with words, wishing for the ability to write would be a waste of a wish]
2) To always know the difference between right and wrong [a little corny, but events leading to this moment have caused me to believe that I need a little help in this area]
3) To have the ability to win the lottery every time I play [who the hell wouldn't want money? Cash is pretty much what makes the world go round. Besides, I would donate a whole bunch of moolah to animal shelters and charity <3]

nata
Private E-1

Postby nata » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:57 pm

1: Financial security for me and all of my family and loved ones.

2: For the economic/environmental crisis to be resolved without it damaging anyone further.

3: For the worldly status to allow me to influence others to do their part in the world, not just by working and having kids and all that, but by taking care of our planet and CALMING DOWN. Enough road rage; the technological age has made everyone think that they deserve everything for nothing and if they don't get it they are furious. it's ridiculous and pathetic. Everyone thinks they are a god amongst men, and people need to learn that there is only one God and they aren't it.

Or if i wanted to be silly i would have gone with and endless supply of chocolate, become rich and famous as a writer, and a puppy that cleans up after itself.

Misanthreville
Private E-1

Postby Misanthreville » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:27 am

1.) That my third wish is automatically and under any circumstances, valid

2.) That my third wish would not change me as a person in any way

3.) That I could have as many wishes as I want.

I think why is pretty self explandatory.

kassel46
Private E-1

Postby kassel46 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:41 am

I bumped into a genie yesterday to my surprise and she said that I could have three wishes. Of course, I told her I didn't believe in genies or wishes but then I said out loud, "What the heck! First I would like for this earth to have peace, then I would wish for all those who are poor to have what they need and lastly, I would wish for my book to be read and helped by many.

Dan Singman
Private E-1

Postby Dan Singman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:59 pm

#1: An answer to the ultimate question: Is there a purpose to our existence?
#2: If the answer to the question is yes, then knowledge of that purpose is my second wish.
#3: If the answer to the question is no, then I wish to forget that I ever asked the question.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges