My Three Wishes 10/2-10/8

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:00 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:00 am

You bump into a genie and she offers to grant you three wishes. What are your wishes and why?

Please limit your response to 500 words or fewer.

vade mecum
Lieutenant Colonel

RE: My Three Wishes 10/2-10/8

Postby vade mecum » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:54 pm

1. That everyone would feel compassion toward others, regardless of their differences. The world would be a better place for all of us.

2. For complete healing of those who suffer from physical, emotional, or mental illness. There is too much suffering in the world.

3. Wisdom. I get tired of trying to figure things out.

Ziggy
Private E-2

Postby Ziggy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:51 pm

1) To go back to the crossroads of five years ago and take the other path. 
I was just about to continue on with my education and move to San Fransico to work towards a degree in physical therapy.  I had also just met a man.  I choose the man and now he's my husband.  I'd like to see what would have happened if I'd gone back to school instead. 

2) To have a baby.  Now that my path is set and my husband isn't going any where, I want nothing more than to be a mother. 

3) To never have to pay a mortgage again.

solarecreator
Private E-1

Postby solarecreator » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:50 pm

omg. i have actually thought about what these would be hundreds of times over the years. i'm glad to be able to share them!

1. this is easy and is really something i would do if only given one wish. now don't expect to understand it, it's my personal thing. i would wish to BE a character from my book. She is my idea of perfect and i want to BE her, not just like her, but actually her.

2. i would wish there were no greed anymore... that would about solve all the problems of the world.

3. i would wish to reverse all the pollution done to the earth so far.

yay!

dodgeroo54
Private E-1

Postby dodgeroo54 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:03 pm

If a genie bumped into me and she offered to grant me three wishes, these would be my wishes:

1. I first would wish for our troops fighting overseas to return safely and without injury. No matter what your views are on the war, we all want our troops to be safe. They have been fighting valiently, and with bravery.

2. I next would ask the genie to grant me my wish of becoming a published author. I know it may sound self-centered after what I said for my first wish, but if I became a published author, I would be able to know that I can keep writing and this is something I should be doing for the rest of my life. It would give me the courage to keep going, and to write what I care about, and what matters to those around me.

3. And for my third wish, I would ask the genie to grant me my wish of meeting President Bill Clinton. If you have followed what he has been doing since leaving office, then you know that he is doing what he can to help the world. He recently came out with a book, called Giving. During the past couple of years, I have been trying to do my part to give back to the community. If I were to meet Mr. Clinton, I would want to sit down with him and have a converation about giving back and what we all can do to give back.

Those would be my three wishes. Obviously, I have many more, but these three are really important and special to me.

tee64
Private E-1

Postby tee64 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:14 pm

Wow, this could get very deep. Over the past six years my life has taken roads that I never dreamed of. I seriously would not do what I've done again. I would have stuck with my gut feeling on many things. Let me see... three wishes.... hmmmmmmmmm,

1. For world peace. The soldiers would come home safely and the threat of terrorist would be gone. Everyone would be safe and live in perfect harmony.

2. That I could go back and make a different choice as to where I am and where I could have been. If it weren't for the appearances of certain people I'm positive I would not be where I am today. My life is so complicated now.

3. That I could quit my full time job and go back to school and take journalism and follow my dream. I feel as if I'm at a concrete barrier and that there is no way around, over or under it.

There you have it... my three wishes. Is there a genie coming soon? ;)

hypnic jerk
Sergeant First Class

Postby hypnic jerk » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:29 pm

Picking up bottles for beer money.  That was what I was reduced to when unemployed with wife cashing the welfare checks.  Then I saw a purple bottle with a cork.  It was too small to be a wine bottle, but what did I know?

I popped the cork off there was a loud noise like the swishing of a truck speeding by on wet pavement.  Then standing in front of me was a dark skinned woman wearing some sort of Persian costume.  

“You have freed me from my captivity; I will grant you three wishes.”

I wondered if I could wish for more wishes.  You never could in the stories and movies as far as I knew.  And this was no story.  At least I didn’t think so.

I blurted: “Can I wish for more wishes?”

“Only three, now two.”  She said         

I was afraid to say anything.  What if I said no s**t?  And was constipated for the rest of my life?

So I thought hard.  On I Dream of Jeanie the blonde girl was like a slave to that astronaut putz.  He had as many wishes as he wanted.  Of course I read The Monkey’s Paw that taught to be careful what you wish for.  All I really wanted was a job.  But wait, if I had a million dollars or so I would never have to work.  I could buy a boat and travel, or I could wish for a boat, and a Porsche and a Fire Engine.

She said three wishes.  When I looked at her, she just looked back at me patiently.  I wondered how long she had been cooped up in the bottle.  She could wait for me to think. 

I almost spoke out loud to say: “Give me a day to think.” But that would be a wish.  

I guess money, but how much?  And how would it arrive?  An insurance settlement?  This was frightening.

“I wish for this,” I said.  “For the wisdom to make my last wish the most beneficial to me and my family.”

“Done,” she said.

“And suddenly I had a brilliant idea,”

aussiegirl
Private E-1

Postby aussiegirl » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:57 pm

Just bumping into a genie would be fun... ;) :)
The imagination boggles at the thought of it.
Drought, famine, starvation, cruelty and war :( could all be eliminated. I know that is 5 options but when you look at them closely they could all be gathered under one heading - Man living in harmony with self and nature.
Honesty in politicians regardless of what party they belong to - I know that is an impossibility even for a genie - but it would be worth a try
A smack up, whooping and lovin' party with George Clooney and Brad Pitt... then spend the rest of my years just remembering it.
Yeah, OK, so I'm a dreamer of imposssible dreams, but hell wouldn't I have a hell of a memory if there really WAS such a thing as a genie.
George and Brad would have to be on every redblooded girls wish list. ;) ;)

acre1964
Private E-2

Postby acre1964 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:43 am

This is my best responce I can give to this writing prompts.

What would you do if the world was brought down to it knees just for you?
What would you change?
Would you try to save everyone?
Would you want to be rich?
Would you want power?
Would you leave it up to the Lord Jesus?
This is the question of the day.
I myself would leave it up to Jesus.
I would never want to be deceived by this world.
If you ever stumble or fall He will be there.
He has the answers to life and the great mysteries of life are in Him.
To know Jesus is the Greatest Gift of all!!!!
Love always wins and that what Jesus is.
May great Blessing come from heaven today for all of us?
These are my thoughts of the day today.

By Shawn Acre
Sept 14 2007
The reason I say this is absolute power corrupts everyone execpt Jesus. :)
The littlest act of kindness can lead to the Greaest Miracle of your life.

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges