[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
New Name, New Identity - 6/8 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Page 5 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

New Name, New Identity - 6/8

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Miss Redd
Private E-1

RE: New Name, New Identity - 6/8

Postby Miss Redd » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:03 am

Mimoshishikukuto has finally stepped out the box and started a new life for herself.

I am always doing things for others and never meeting my own needs. I was run down, hair falling out, teeth all jacked up, gaining weight for no other reason but stress, and forget about replenshing myself spiritually.

Now I step out of the car service, look around, inhaled, and believed that this is where God had me to go.......New York City and walking into my destiny!! Never knew that being a business owner was ever a dream of mine. Lately, I couldn't give up on my dreams. Every minute of the day that inner desire kept growing stronger and stronger.

As I went into the buliding all I could smell was a new beginning. I believed that everything was going to be all right. On the outside (appearance wise) I needed help. I knew that would change with time and as my finances grew I could look a whole lot better. ON THE INSIDE.....VICTORY WAS CALLING MY NAME!!

As I looked around at the ambiance I had created, I now can look back and say I am glad that I didn't give up or let anyone further stop me from pursuing what was already on the inside of me. I really never knew what was on the inside of me. Again, I inhale and the next thing I know I recieved my first phone call.

"Hello, Ms. Mimoshishikukuto........ head designer speaking!"

Laura Jackson
Private E-1

Postby Laura Jackson » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:01 pm

Laura Jackson
Private E-1

Postby Laura Jackson » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:18 pm

lexaface
Private E-1

Postby lexaface » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:57 am

Finally arriving in town, I spotted a small café to my right and pulled into the five car parking lot. My heart started racing the second I cut the engine. This place was going to be my new home, and I hadn’t even figured out what my new name was going to be, much less my new personality. What kind of people were these? I needed to blend in as much as possible, and if I chose the wrong personality to act out, I could permanently be an outcast in a place where I’d have to spend quite a bit of time. Taking a deep breath, I decided to make things up as I went along.
Stepping inside of the café, I noticed one thing right away. It was packed. The noise seemed to be pushing against the walls, threatening to shatter the windows. The café was entirely too small to house so many people at once. Kids, parents, grandparents, people of all ages crowded around the old wooden tables sharing dinner and talking loudly. I instantly felt a little more comfortable. At least I wouldn’t be the center of attention. Looking around for a place to sit, I heard a voice behind me.
“Hello, and welcome to Richie’s Roadside Café, are you new here?” Turning around, I came face to face with a wide eyed blonde girl of about sixteen. She flashed a toothy smile and patiently waited for me to tell her the obvious.
“Yes, I just arrived in town,” I said. “My name is uh Marie.” I panicked momentarily. Had she heard the lie in my voice? That my name really wasn’t Marie?
Apparently she hadn’t, because she flashed that smile again and said, “Welcome to Waterton, Marie. Can I get you a table? I sure hope you enjoy your stay here!” And with that, she started towards the only empty table in the place. I followed behind, relieved that I had survived my first encounter with my new neighbors.

Rey Michaels
Private E-1

Re: New Name, New Identity - 6/8

Postby Rey Michaels » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:50 am

It wasn’t hard at all. With a little money it seems anything is possible, even reinventing yourself. The documents were the most expensive part of it, and I don’t know much about the whole process. All I know is that for $45,000 I was able to secure a new identity complete with a clean credit and employment history and an MBA from the University of Connecticut. I was also provided a valid driver’s license and social security card. The rest was purely cosmetic: new hair color, a clean shave, a fresh wardrobe, new wheels, and here I am…on the road to the rest of my life. I have to say it’s pretty exciting, especially after the monotonous existence that I used to call a life. It’s amazing how one little mistake…one innocent little decision…one seemingly insignificant choice made on whim, can turn your whole world upside-down. But then we know it can, don’t we? Otherwise we wouldn’t be here.
Isn’t this country great, I mean look out there at all those green fields, and those mountains. It’s just friggin’ beautiful, don’t you think. Hey, roll your window down why don’t you? That air smells so clean. Remember the air in the city? That was some foul atmosphere, let me tell you. I’m getting kind of hungry, what do you feel like, burgers, pizza? It doesn’t really matter to me, you pick.
Wait a minute. I guess you don’t care either do you? But you really do need to roll that window down. You’re not smelling too good. Here, let me get it for you.
Yeah, I know I’m swerving all over, just a minute. Oh yeah, that’s better.
I’m going to turn on the radio. Oh man, I love this song! Bah, bah, b-b-bah bah, yeah!
Hey, so I hate to tell you this, but when we find a good spot I’m going to have to drop you off. I mean you knew I couldn’t take you the whole way, right? But don’t worry; we still have a long way to go. I mean I don’t really want to leave you, but it’d be crazy for me to keep you around…even in Vegas. I’m really gonna miss you though.
Huh? Oh damn! Cops. What’d I do now? I’m only going seventy! Hey, just act natural, everything’ll be cool. And let me do the talking. Let me just get the registration. Yeah, and if you get the chance, maybe flash him a little of those nice tits of yours, you know? Can’t hurt.
Good evening officer. What can I do for you? Well yeah, I’m pretty sure I was going about seventy. Uh, license and registration, sure. Here you go.
No, we’re just on our way to Vegas. I got a new job out there. Starting up a whole new life. New family, too. The little lady’s only a few months along but she’s already starting to swell…I mean show.
Oh, yeah, she’s really tired, and she’s been kinda sick.
What? Why? Is there something wrong?
Okay, just a minute sweetie. Be right back.

Rey Michaels
Private E-1

Postby Rey Michaels » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:50 am

It wasn’t hard at all. With a little money it seems anything is possible, even reinventing yourself. The documents were the most expensive part of it, and I don’t know much about the whole process. All I know is that for $45,000 I was able to secure a new identity complete with a clean credit and employment history and an MBA from the University of Connecticut. I was also provided a valid driver’s license and social security card. The rest was purely cosmetic: new hair color, a clean shave, a fresh wardrobe, new wheels, and here I am…on the road to the rest of my life. I have to say it’s pretty exciting, especially after the monotonous existence that I used to call a life. It’s amazing how one little mistake…one innocent little decision…one seemingly insignificant choice made on whim, can turn your whole world upside-down. But then we know it can, don’t we? Otherwise we wouldn’t be here.
Isn’t this country great, I mean look out there at all those green fields, and those mountains. It’s just friggin’ beautiful, don’t you think. Hey, roll your window down why don’t you? That air smells so clean. Remember the air in the city? That was some foul atmosphere, let me tell you. I’m getting kind of hungry, what do you feel like, burgers, pizza? It doesn’t really matter to me, you pick.
Wait a minute. I guess you don’t care either do you? But you really do need to roll that window down. You’re not smelling too good. Here, let me get it for you.
Yeah, I know I’m swerving all over, just a minute. Oh yeah, that’s better.
I’m going to turn on the radio. Oh man, I love this song! Bah, bah, b-b-bah bah, yeah!
Hey, so I hate to tell you this, but when we find a good spot I’m going to have to drop you off. I mean you knew I couldn’t take you the whole way, right? But don’t worry; we still have a long way to go. I mean I don’t really want to leave you, but it’d be crazy for me to keep you around…even in Vegas. I’m really gonna miss you though.
Huh? Oh damn! Cops. What’d I do now? I’m only going seventy! Hey, just act natural, everything’ll be cool. And let me do the talking. Let me just get the registration. Yeah, and if you get the chance, maybe flash him a little of those nice tits of yours, you know? Can’t hurt.
Good evening officer. What can I do for you? Well yeah, I’m pretty sure I was going about seventy. Uh, license and registration, sure. Here you go.
No, we’re just on our way to Vegas. I got a new job out there. Starting up a whole new life. New family, too. The little lady’s only a few months along but she’s already starting to swell…I mean show.
Oh, yeah, she’s really tired, and she’s been kinda sick.
What? Why? Is there something wrong?
Okay, just a minute sweetie. Be right back.

Persom
Private E-1

Death Becomes Her

Postby Persom » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:39 pm

My life had ended just as quickly as it had began; and it began as quite a blunt, stale moment. I was dead upon arrival, but was revived and in a coma until I was a teenager. My Ma, being a God-fearing, single parent, tried to instill hard Catholic values in my life. Needless to say, mass wasn't my favorite Sunday activity and I soon fell into more recreational activities. No, my life began when I was four; and I died again at seventeen. A local cartel fresh in from 'Miami' caught me up in the New York lifestyle.
Around sixteen, I got involved in Michelle, this dame that the head of this recreational cartel was pretty into. He left me for dead in an alleyway in the Bronx, not one day after we pulled off a heist at a jewelry store in Jersey City. He turned me in and kept the lot, including Michelle. And even now, on my way to some crap town in Maine that my best friend Tony told me of, I was going to stay with his grandma. Tony and I had the same black hair, the same small build, and same slump of periodic depression. We could pass for brothers, despite my slight New York accent. Her, being so blind and senile, she would never tell the difference. I was a missing fugitive in New York, and I couldn't go back to Ma, she would reject me just like she did my older brother. So much for Catholic values.
Tony pulled into a Subway parking lot in Old Town, Maine. The sun had just set and a deep fog swept over the evergreens, turning them almost black. My back was so sore from the beating that had taken place the night previous. I was lucky to have a guy like Tony as a best friend. Only now, I was Tony. I had to play the part.
"Thanks for dropping me off. You sure you can't stay?"
"Na," Tony said, "I've still got school, man."
"Right," I breathed, "Okay, and your gramma's that way?" I pointed over the bridge to the island in the middle of the forked river.
"Yup," he nodded, "485 West Howard Street. Don't be creeped out by it though. It looks broken down outside, but it's pretty...sturdy." He hesitated.
I cocked my head, thinking of how this would go down.
"Let's get something to eat before I drop you off." I nodded and we got out of his Pontiac.
After we ate our subs, I reviewed things about his life.
"Her name is Molly, she's this girl I used to hang out with when I was a kid and I came out here. I ain't seen her since she we was prob'ly ten."
"And your grandma?" I quizzed. "What's she like."
"I haven't seen her in a while. When I called her and told her I was coming to live with her, she seemed drugged out. I don't like her being on pills and poop unicorns and rainbows."
I shuttered as we approached an easy looking house, and passed it by. Another, suburban modern abode, and passed. We slowed as we pulled into a gravel driveway which led a path to a vine covered porch with chipped paint and splintered wood, egg colored, worn paint. The roof was rust red and seemed to shed leaves with the slow breeze through the gutters. A broken down, rusty chained swing squeaked alongside two crooked shutters. The great, cherry door with a bronze, also rusted, with a tattered, torn screen door hanging by the bottom hinge. The house as a whole, sent a chill down my creaking spine under the waxing moon.
"This is it?" I hesitated."
"Wow, she let this place go."
I felt like I had stepped into a Stephen King novel, like I was being watched even though me and Tony were the only two there. The fog was taken by a streetlight, also taken by weeds and vines near an old white mailbox. There was a whistle and a large bang, which I assumed was either a shutter slamming, or my heartbeat. I figured it was a combination of the two.
"I need to go, if grandma sees me, she'll know you're not me."
"Okay," I said, grabbing my two suitcases that I sneaked from my apartment while my mom was at the police station. "I'll call you in a week to tell you how things are going." I swallowed hard, holding back the sadness in my thoughts, and the breaking of my voice. "And my mom. Check on her." Though I'd only known my mom for ten or so years, I felt like she was always supportive of my rejection to her lifestyle, and I at least owed her the protection that she supplied me with. If I ever did go back, she wouldn't want me anyway.
He nodded, knowing my pain, and silently got in his car and sped off.
Laughter and inaudible speech was following me up the stairs.
"Wait!" a small voice beckoned. "Where are you going?"
I turned, startled find four young boys on bicycles, sitting and staring, frightened, at me.
"I'm Tony. I'm living with my gramma now. I'm from New York City."
"Your grandma's Old Lady Reaper?"
"Yeah, she's so weird. Jake tried talking to her at his uncle's burial, but she doesn't talk."
"Does your family know T-" I stopped myself. "My family?"
"No," the boy who I suspected was Jake, "She goes to all the burials, but she doesn't talk or know any of us."
I stood in my thought, syncing what he was saying to what I knew. "But why?" They shrugged.
"No one knows, but we've asked a ton'a kids, and every time someone dies, she goes to their ceremony. That's why we call her Reaper."
"I see. Well I'll keep you kids posted. I'm sure she's not that bad. I'll see you around."
"Whatever," another kid said, "It's your funeral."
"I'm sure she'll be there." The kids laughed and rode away. The sun was completely gone and the only sound was the slushing river and the crickets chirping. I approached the eerie porch and knocked on the huge door.
"Tony?" I heard in a rigid, weak voice. "Is that you, chicken?" I didn't know if the voice was real or in my mind; it was so soft. I knocked again, more confidently this time.
Thump, slide. Thump, slide. Thump, slide.
I knocked again.
The door came open, and there, in a black gown, dressed for the funerals I'd heard from the boys, stood my new grandma; Old Lady Reaper.

gmugga
Private E-1

Postby gmugga » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:52 am

I pictured it very differently. An old convertible, blue, broken, driving down a stretch of highway that was both terrifyingly new and completely predictable. My hair managed to stay behind my eyes though the strong cool breeze I felt veiled me from the scorching sun. An old highway sign on my left…now gone. Nothing on my right. No one near me. No one anywhere. An old song playing softly from the radio, one I had never heard; a country song. I hate county. A gas station now….now nothing. A stretch of road. Sand. Yellow lines. Another gas station. This time I stop. Somehow I’m thinner? Somehow I am clad in mostly leather. Somehow I am cool…. A younger man exits the hotbox where the cash register is, moisture on his forehead just above his eyebrows. And though he is naïve, he intrigues me.
“Hello”
I say nothing.
“Need a fill up?”
“Regular.”
“Sure”
I lean against the car, unaware of the heat, unaware of the time…hell; I don’t even know where I am. I’ve never been any further west than upstate New York, and any further south than Southie. And yet here I am…nowhere near Southie. Nowhere near New York. Nowhere near where I was.
“27 even,” he says.
I hand him 30. He reaches for change, but I subtly nod my head. I pull open the door which creaks with aged adventure.
“Hey,” he stops me. “You ain’t from around here, huh?”
“No.”
“Where ya headed?”
He waits. I can’t say.
“Where ya from?”
I smile and sit in the driver’s seat.
“At least tell me your name. You need one friend in a place like this…”
What the hell did that mean? I didn’t need a friend. I’m better without them; I decided that a while back. What makes him think I need him? Somehow though, my mouth starts moving, forming a half circle, starting to say my name…my name back home. Starting to say “G---“
“Lux”.
“Like the soap?” He laughs.
What soap? No soap. He was mocking me already. He knew I was lying, I know now I should’ve gone with something cleaner cut. I turn on the car.
“I’m Russ…”
I pause.
“I’ll never see you again.” And I never do. I drive until I’m out of gas again. Keep going…keep going. Alone.

That’s how I saw it. I am in line at the bus terminal, buying a ticket to Montreal. Its winter and I keep losing my grip on my bag. I’m holding too much. I feel hundreds of eyes on me. I am not alone. I am a little too warm inside. My eyes dart, trying to find how much this will cost me… I hope to God I have enough. A woman taps me on the shoulder and somehow I can tell it is with great enthusiasm.
“Glenna!”
I am caught.

JenJerRadience
Private E-1

Postby JenJerRadience » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:45 am

Looking at my reflection in the mirror in the morning is still a bit of a shock. The cropped, blond tipped, pixie cut hair against my bronze skin and the sparkle of a nose ring is definitely not Trish Campbell style, but very much Brianna Lewis’s look. A smile curled my lips at the sight of the shocked eyes staring back at me from on my own unfamiliar face. Gotta get a grip on this new life of mine.

“Hello my name is Brianna Lewis…Hi, I’m Brianna… Brianna Lewis; and you are?” Practice will make perfect. I reminded myself as I slid into a colorful, strappy sundress and worn denim jacket. The new hummingbird tattoo on my shoulder blade stung a little under the rough fabric. Gone was the navy blue suit and pumps. That Midwestern style would look out of place in a SoCal beach city. A wispy scarf around my throat and sandals completed the look. It was time to meat my new life.

Bravely launching myself through the front door of my condo I hurried down the steps.
Grabbing the newel post at the bottom I swung myself around 180 degrees toward the street. A large hound of one kind or another drug its owner across my path as I strode purposefully out into the bright midmorning sun.

The leash was invisible as my eyes adjusted and as it wrapped around my knees. Colliding with the stunned dog-walker, knees bound, I fell hard against the hood of a gleaming yellow Italian convertible. It’s alarm sounded off alarmingly. The startled hound turned and started barking. The dog-walker shouted commands attempting to halt the bounding hound. The car’s owner leapt from a café seat screaming indignities in some shrill accent. A patrol officer on his Segway, turned swiftly toward the mealy, blew his whistle and held up his hand in an ‘I’m in charge’ gesture.

The sun baked sidewalk was warm against my back and the dog’s tongue was moist against my cheek. Hands worked to free me.
“I’m so sorry… I’m so sorry… I’m so sorry…” The dog walker chanted. “Down Manji!”
Officer Peartree, as his badge read, lifted me effortlessly from the street. “Are you hurt?” He asked inspecting my face.
“Just my pride…”
“You should sit for a moment” He said and guided me to the recently vacated café seat. The former occupier of which was now busy inspecting her car for damage with large gestures and foreign sounding curses.
“How many fingers am I holding up” Officer Peartree asked.
“Four. And I’m fine, really.”
“What is today’s date?” He continued.
“Monday, July 23, 2012. I’m really OK.” Trying again to reassure him.
“What’s your name?”
“Patricia Cam….I mean Brianna! Brianna Lewis” I stated firmly.
“So which is it? Patricia or Brianna?” He smiled but in his eyes I saw suspicion.
“It’s Brianna Lewis. I have ID on me if you need to see it.” I replied nervously, hoping that he would ask to see it, eager to prove my new identity. I reached into my jacket pocket and quickly produced a shinny new California State holographic ID disc.
“It’s not necessary, but thanks, Brianna.” Pronouncing my name slowly and deliberately, he slid the disc into his reader and studied it for a brief moment. “No harm no foul.” He said as he stood and moved toward the angry woman ranting on the sidewalk. The dog walker gestured his hundredth apology as he trotted by behind his pack leader.

My knees felt slightly wobbly when I stood up. Anxiety swept over me. Everyone’s eyes seemed to me to be starring at me but the people on the street were actually quite unconcerned. Moving about their day with little interest. I darted into the foot traffic moving away from the scene of my humiliation, around the corner and down the hill. The closer to the beach I moved the thicker the crowd grew. Surprising how many people could make it to the beach on a Monday morning. Crowds were comforting because crowds equal anonymity. I pulled my PC unit from my pocket. No messages, no calls, no alerts. No one had this number yet. I tapped the screen and pulled up a photo. The only one left from my old life. I felt tears welling up in my throat. I hit the delete button and let out a long breath that I hadn’t realized I was holding.

jftjader
Private E-1

Postby jftjader » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:22 am

John started the beat up Jeep Comanche that he bought the night before when he got off the ferry. He lit the first cigarette of the day, and as he exhaled, a haze of smoke mixed with the steam from his breath and clouded the cab. It was a bitter cold 20 degrees, and it made him smile…something he hadn’t done for some time. He pressed the clutch, shifted into first and began his journey north.
John had left his old life behind. He bought a one way ticket to Bellingham, Washington, along with a ferry ticket to Seward, AK. His plan was to start over; new name, new town, new life. He’d always dreamed of living in Alaska, ever since he read about it in Field and Stream as a young child. His plan was to drive north, settle in the first town that felt right and try and hide the pain of his old life behind his eyes.
As he drove through downtown Seward, the Chugiak Mountains towered around him. He was amazed at the beauty of this place. Resurrection Bay rested beneath the mountains, providing a scene John had only dreamed of in his past life. He watched as an eagle circled high above the bay, no doubt searching for prey in the water below.
The tires of Johns truck crunched over the snow covered road as he continued North through town. He nearly drove off the road when he saw a young moose on the sidewalk. He smiled again, and thought to himself,” I might not be driving as far North as I thought. “
He saw a coffee shop at the edge of town and pulled into the parking lot. When he walked in, the warm air fogged his glasses and he removed them from his face. When he replaced them on the bridge of his nose, his eyes were delighted to see a beautiful brunette behind the counter. “Good morning”, she said with a smile. “It sure is” John replied, giving her the best smile he could muster, his third for the day. She took Johns order and he stood behind the counter as she worked on his Americano. There was a large window behind her and he could see out onto the bay. A small float plane came into view as it glided above the bay momentarily before gently touching down on the smooth surface of the water. “Sure is amazing up here” John said to the brunette behind the counter. She looked up from the espresso machine and followed johns gaze outside the window. “Yes it is” she said, smiling. “I showed up here 2 years ago looking to start over and haven’t ever looked back”. “You new to town?” she asked. “You could say that”, he replied. She handed him his Americano with her left hand. When John noticed that there was no ring on it, he felt something he hadn’t felt in a very long time. He took his drink and met her eyes. She smiled and said “I’m Annie” and offered him her other hand. He took it in his, smiled, and said “nice to meet you Annie ...I’m Jim”

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges