New Name, New Identity - 6/8

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
frommyheart2urs
Private E-1

Re: New Name, New Identity - 6/8

Postby frommyheart2urs » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:52 am

I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed reading your story.

frommyheart2urs
Private E-1

Postby frommyheart2urs » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:55 am

Leonard, I just wanted to say I really enjoyed reading your story.

proudceltic7
Private E-1

RE: New Name, New Identity - 6/8

Postby proudceltic7 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:40 pm

I’ve left my old life, my old town. With the drinking and the gangs around my house, I just could not take it anymore! You, my journal, will be the only thing that will know where I have come from as I start my new life.
I’ve tried out many new names that I would enjoy being called. Where do I want to pretend I might come from?
The technicalities are both endless and endlessly annoying. But my new name will be Austra Lee Wake. I’ve come from Northern Texas, where I lived on a ranch that raised horses and grew grapes, and tended them with my brothers and sisters. I’ve dyed my hair from its obnoxious red to a rich brown, which makes my blue eyes look startlingly bright. I stole my mother’s makeup and spiced up my features. There was enough there to last years (that was also where she hid her smoking and drinking money).
I’ve always had worn-down clothes, so it won’t hurt my background story to have old ones. Old clothes, new face, old experiences, new name. Better than drunk.
The best I can hope for is to have someone take me in, and give me work. Good, hardy work I could benefit from. Praying a bit wouldn’t hurt either. Why even mention how horrible my old life was? Or my old name? I’m still me inside, that’s what truly matters.
My first day in this new town was quiet, and all the people were friendly. I loved it! Everyone greets you on the streets, and have great manners. This town is very small, and very simple. I’m not even sure where exactly I am in relation to where I was. The town’s name is New Haven, and the name rings true. For me anyways, this is a new haven, though I can’t remember an old one for me. . .I walked around, guiding myself through the busy but non-crowded streets. I came to a stop outside a store with a sign saying “Help Wanted. Lodging Provided.”
I looked up and saw another paint-peeled sign that read, “The Native Way.”
Usually I would stay away from places with names like that, but I didn’t really have a choice this time, did I?
I walked in and a bell tinkled. Sweet smells of spices and incense assailed my nose. The store was badly lit, and I couldn’t see anyone behind the counter. The door swung shut behind me. I saw medicine bags, dream catchers and hides hung nearly everywhere. Odd, nameless objects cluttered up the space.
“Hello? Here for a job?” I called.
A light switched on and a ragged old Native American woman shuffled into the room. Her face lit up when she saw me.
“Ah! Lauren, I’ve been expecting you for a long time.”
A shiver went down my spine. My old name.
“I’m not Lauren, my name is Austra. You must have me mixed up with someone else.”
Her brow wrinkled in confusion. “So sure. Must be a. . .hmm.”
“I still get a job right?”
She pursed her lips. “I suppose so.”
She beckoned for me to follow her into the back, and I did.

lway
Private E-1

Postby lway » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:11 am

The swaying of the bus nauseated me. With the late August sun pouring through the windows and the only fan directed at the driver, I went limp in my seat from exhaustion. Thankfully the seat next to me was empty. I couldn't stand to have any other body heat near me.

I glanced across the aisle at a bearded old man who was hunched over, clipping his fingernails. The woman sitting beside him kept nudging him, trying to make him stop. Hot air from the open window next to her blew her gray hair straight up so that it looked like a cobweb. I wished I had a towelette in my purse so that I could wipe my neck and arms.

I watched out my window as the scenery rushed backwards. Houses with brown grass and shades drawn to block out the heat, dogs laying flat out napping under porches, faded sheets flapping on clotheslines. Farewell, good riddance.

The bus lurched then stopped. Someone up front got off. The unknown traveler went on his way and the bus rolled forward. "Don't you want to smell the ocean?," I wanted to shout. "Don't you want to feel the rain on your face? Don't you want to sit on a park bench in a wool coat and watch the snow?"

The departed traveler was walking home on the white hot sidewalk. I pictured him opening the front door of his little stuffy house, like he always did, day after day. He would set down his bags and heave a sigh. Then his wife would come out from the kitchen, lovely and small, carrying their smiling baby son. She would hold out a cold glass of beer and his baby would hold out his fat fists for his papa. He would fall into his chair, in front of the fan, and bounce his giggling son on his knee. Then, in my daydream, when the sun set, the man and his wife would sit out back and clink their wine glasses together and talk about their day.

Tears welled in my eyes. I would have walked in the hot sun until my shoes melted, to be with my baby son.
But that will never be.

Charde
Private E-1

Postby Charde » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:15 pm

Hey there!! It’s me, Sophie Burke. Not a lot going on in my life these days. Just got a little fed up with the same old, same old. Had to look at my surroundings (dead-end job, boyfriend making no formal commitment, fake friends) and realize it’s time for a change. So, here I am, starting a new life in the one and the only ATL.

I don’t have any connections here, so I've gotta get to the grind and get a job and meet some folk. I am used to being pursued and having a large crowd to journey with night to night. This is a new environment for me. All the women I see are beautiful so I guess I’m not standing out as much as I did in my hometown of Peekskill, NY. So I need to make an impact in this new town. I think I’ll go by the name of Sophia, sounds more upscale and sophisticated. I even think it’s time for a career change as well. No more ordering clothes for Filene’s basement. I think I’ll take those skills and venture out and explore a job in the entertainment industry. I’m sure I can take my administrative skills and get my foot in the door. Everybody needs a “Girl Friday” to run the errands, order lunch, type a few letters, answer the phones and so on. Let’s see where it leads and who I will meet to make a good impression. So far, it’s been a bit weird. Not a friendly place. The women feel threatened by my bold style and the men are wimps. I need to get with the right crew to get into the inner circle.

After a few weeks of job-hunting, I finally land an interesting opportunity as an Administrative Assistant with record company. I’m sure it will bore me to death at first, but there’s a method to the madness. I plan on making such an impact that they can’t help but promote me. Between my business skills, outgoing personality and overwhelming sense of style, there is no way they will let me stay in the background for long. So I’ll just take pride in answering the phones and getting the morning coffee. I realize it’s just a temporary arrangement leading to a much bigger breakthrough.

Back home I was willing to settle down with my old boyfriend, but I’ve now seen that if I don’t explore my options now I’ll be stuck forever. Before I begin a solid family life, I want to travel, hang out and basically see the world before I get all tied down. I don’t want to be like some women who make hasty decisions about relationships just because of some biological clock ticking. That’s ridiculous! I would rather enjoy life now rather then become one of those mothers who always drops of her child at the babysitter to go hit the club. So, it’s time for me to enjoy being free. I’m living the single life. No cares, no worries, no obligations, no commitments. I guess if someone catches my eye along the way, I’ll consider a relationship. But I’m not looking by any means.

Let the fun begin.
http://forum.writersdigest.com/images/e ... s/cool.gif
:emoticon:

thecharmedbaja
Private E-1

Postby thecharmedbaja » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:03 am

Escaping to new landscapes had not been easy for him. But all he wanted was a fresh start; new horizons. Sure, leaving his family and friends had been difficult to say the least, but he knew that within a couple of days he wouldn’t be missed. For the new ‘town clown’ had moved into Genica the previous week, bringing with him an ego which reassured Peter that he was no longer welcome, ‘there’s only room for one of us, buddy’ it sneered as he tried to compete. Compete? How could he; the most he could do was crack a few more clichéd jokes and then run off to hide beneath his bed, his tail between his legs as he shrunk into the background. He seemed destined to mix two species together for the rest of his life - half chameleon, half dog seemed a good look - until he saw an advert in the local paper, beckoning him to a far off land where he would be able to create a new demeanour; be whoever he chose to be.
As Peter considered new names to complete his altered life in his unfamiliar bungalow near the pier of Hanington, there came a knock on the door. ‘Ah!’ he thought, ‘a neighbour, perhaps!’ He cleared his throat and straightened his tie, gathering shards of his new character together as he reached for the door. ‘Hello there dear. You must be…?’ Looking down, he studied the pinched face of an elderly lady, gazing up at him behind rimmed glasses. ‘Great. The nosy neighbour,’ he thought, instead opting to reply politely with, ‘Gary. Gary O’Donnell. I guess I’m your new neighbour? I’ve just moved here - needed a change of scene…’ there was an awkward pause as the stranger continued to size him up, wondering if he’d be too loud for her liking and contemplating whether or not she should explain the rules she liked her neighbourhood to uphold now or later. ‘That’s nice dear. I’m Beryl. Pleasedtomeetyou.’ She gave him a watery smile, peering into his house rudely. ‘Erm… would you like to come in for a cup of tea?’ He asked her, though he was nowhere near finished unpacking and would have to unearth another mug before he could serve her. ‘That would be nice darling! And maybe we could run through some of the… fundamental… guidelines… which one must undertake when living in Hanington…’
He smiled as he opened the door wide for her, muttering under his breath, ‘I guess nothing changes…’

As you can probably tell from my post count, I'm new here! Please tell me what you think, I'd be so grateful for any feedback! And please bear in mind that I'm eighteen, though I'm sure there are younger writers on here! :)

t-sizzles
Private E-1

Postby t-sizzles » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:36 am

Performing at so many events and and travelling around the city to a lot churches and performing at them as well made me very busy. It was lot of fun though. Kept getting asked about when my album was coming out. I was approached by a man wearing a long brown coat and a gray hat offering me a ticket to Mauritus where he was going to go but chose to stay with his family instead. At least that's what I heard.

I promised myself nottoget sucked into the celebrity life. With that I was off. In the plane I remembered his words, "You can do whatever you want. Stay in my condo and use my credit card however you like. But there's a catch. You can never touch base with your life here. Who you are and everything you have will be gone." I always wanted to go to Mauritus. 6 months of being someone else was going to be fun, so I thought.

"Hi, what"'s your name?", a pretty woman asked as I stepped out of the airport. "I'm Dave Crune and you?", I replied hesitantly, though she didn't see it. "Hi Dave, I'm Carla Fox. Nice to meet you. What you brings you here?" with a calm look I said, "I'm on a business trip. Looking for some investments. What do you do?"I own a restaurant in this city.", she replied. The only thing that didn't occur to me was how and why this woman befriended me as if we were childhood friends. I decided to play along, see how long it would last.

She invited me to stay with her friend Andy, since I didn't know the exact location of my condo, I agreed. My only hope was that her friend wasn't a big investor because I knew little about it. Even if he was I'm sure I could get him to teach me a few things since now i moved from being an upcoming artist to an investor living in Mauritus named Dave Crune with a condo and credit cards worth an amount unknown to me.

greenpeach06
Private E-1

Postby greenpeach06 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:49 am

I stared at the peeling paint on the generic white door of apartment #324, wondering how I had gotten to this point. My fingers fumbled as I pulled the key out of the pocket of my new black jeans. At least one good thing had come out of this arrangement: a new-to-me wardrobe. No more Momma telling me what I could or couldn't wear, no more church members looking down their noses at my low necklines and above-the-knee shorts. Nobody to judge me if I felt like wearing skull and crossbones or dark eye makeup. I sighed, realizing that I had to cross the threshold at some point. Might as well get it over with.

My cell phone rang as the door squeaked open. More like my tracking-anklet-in-a-pocket. It was my witsec inspector with a newsy update.

"Alex, how's it going? Have you gotten into your new digs yet?"

I feigned an excited affirmation for her sake and let her continue her monologue.

"Listen, I've been looking into a few job opportunities and want you to come by this afternoon to check out some places with me. Also, I found a place where you might be able to get a washer and dryer. It's at Sam's Appliance Store over on Jude Street. I can take you by there later if you'd like. Oh, and your utilities should be on by noon today. Let me know if there's any problems with that."

I mumbled a curse under my breath as she finally hung up. Part of me wanted to keep her on the phone as long as possible, while I explored my new home, if it could be called that. Part of me wanted to toss the phone out the third-story window and have it land in the path of an oncoming trailer truck.

Then again, I could barely see out the window to know whether there was even a road out there. I rubbed the glass with the end of my shirt-sleeve, just enough to let a small circle of sunlight in. The frame looked like it was painted shut; maybe the inspector could be good for something after all.

A quick survey told me that the rest of the place was in just as good a shape as the window and the door. The kitchen looked like it hadn’t been cleaned since Nixon was in office. I wasn’t sure whether the fridge would even work once it got plugged in. The carpet looked like it had been through a dozen toddlers, two dozen pets, and a handful of teenagers. The faucet probably put out rusty water, and the smoke detector would probably go off whenever I used the oven.

It felt like a long day already, and it was only nine in the morning.

heathermoreland
Private First Class

Wouldn't you like to know? Hardy har har...

Postby heathermoreland » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:28 pm

;) ;)

Writer520
Private E-1

Postby Writer520 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:10 am

Well world, here I come! It’s time to head west to big lights in a big city!

Let me introduce myself. I am Rosa Larue, movie star! Well, I’m not a movie star yet and I used to be Sally Parker but what kind of name is that? It has no Hollywood flavor at all. Now Rosa Larue, that’s a name and now it’s mine.

When I decided to leave Tinton Falls I promised myself I wouldn’t look back. No one understood me there. Not my parents, not my siblings and especially not Roger. Yeah, he’s the football star and all and yes, we’ve been dating since high school but he just doesn’t get it. I need to be me. I need to get away, start a new life for myself. Make it in the big leagues, Hollywood here I come!

I arrived in Los Angeles homeless and very much in need of a job. But this was California, anything was possible. I had to find a job and quick. First stop, Miceli’s Restaurant on Las Palmas Ave. They were hiring a waitress and it seemed like the perfect place to start. I arrived with much anticipation and a spring in my step but was greeted with, “Sorry, this job has been taken.” Bummer, I really like that one. That was enough to kill my spirits. This was the home of the singing Waiters and waitress and if I must say so myself, I could sing pretty well. Well enough to get me to where I needed to be and that was on the Hollywood stage.

You never know who you might meet in a place like this; so many celebrities, an agent or two. This was my time to shine and I was going to take Hollywood by storm.

Unperturbed, I jumped into a cab to get to my next prospect. “Where to lady?” The cab driver asked. I really didn’t know. Truthfully, Miceli’s was my only prospect. “I’m not really sure,” I said, surprised at the calmness in my voice.

“Well lady, pick a place. I don’t have all day.” I was startled by his impatience of me so I said the first thing that came to mind.

“Take me where I can be famous!” I blurted out. The cab driver laughed so hard I was almost embarrassed. “So you want to be famous?” He asked, while still chuckling.

“Lady, if I had a penny for everyone who jumped in my cab and wanted to be famous, I could retire. Do yourself a favor. Go back home where you belong.” His frankness made me a bit uncomfortable and was very unwelcomed.

“I do belong here. Where else would I belong? If you could be so kind as to drop me off at Hollywood and Vine, I would be most appreciative.”

“Hollywood and Vine?” He let out a chuckle. “Well you’re not going to find much there, but okay, it’s your fare.” He sounded so cold and unfriendly. Not what I expected.

“Then what do you suggest?” I asked.

“I suggest you go home. Look lady, a young thing like you is likely to get hurt out here all alone.”

“Who said I was all alone?” I asked. He let out a long sigh.

“I see hundreds of girls like you, looking for their big chance in Hollywood; all thinking they have what it takes to be big stars. Most of them crash and burn before they even get started. You look like a pretty good kid. Do yourself a favor, go back to school, get an education, and leave this Hollywood stuff alone, I would hate to see you get hurt.”

I didn’t appreciate, nor did I ask for his advice about my career or lack of. I believed in myself, even if no one else could. So I was staying and there was nothing he could say or do to convince me otherwise.

“Hollywood and Vine,” I said calmly. He took off without another word.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges