[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stop That Wedding - 5/25 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Page 7 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Stop That Wedding - 5/25

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
cazure14@gmail.com
Private E-1

RE: Stop That Wedding - 5/25

Postby cazure14@gmail.com » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:19 am

"Don't say YES!" I bellowed.
"Connor, what are you doing here?" my love asked irritated.
"I had to try to stop you."
"And why would you want to do that?"
"Ally I have loved you for twenty-five years. I will not let you hitch yourself with somebody who I am sure will just dump you at the first sight of trouble." I expalined.
"How dare you? Matthew is a good man and would never do such a thing. Now leave before you embarrass either of us anymore than you already have!" she replied very sternly.
So I turned around tears flowing from my eyes.
I decided it would be best to cut off all contact with Ally after that. I never wanted to see her again, or her husband. A year has gone by and not one word from Ally since the cruel and cutting words that she said to me at her wedding.
I was reading the newspaper one Sunday evening in late November. I my thought process was interrupted by the series of loud raps at the front door.
"Curious, who would come knocking at my door at this hour?"
I stumbled over to the front door. Sure enough, guess who...
Ally...

AnneR.Key
Private E-1

Postby AnneR.Key » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:58 pm

"DON'T SAY YES!!!!"

Corey turns and just looks at me. "I wasn't gonna. I was gonna say 'I do'."

I am huffing and puffing and sweating and panting. Wow that was a lot longer run than I thought it'd be. Oh, hi peoples. Isn't it a brilliant day?

Kia, the bride-to-be, rolls her eyes in a very "Anne, what are you doing?" manner. Hey! You very well may be my best friend, but you're still marrying my man!

After catching my breath and accepting a bottle of water from a caterer, I stand up proud. "Corey, you can't marry her."

Corey looks directly into my eyes. "Why not?"

I pause. Wait. I had reasons, didn't I?

I have no reasons.

After the ceremony, I'm sitting on a bench with the crystal beach waters lapping at my feet. I know everyone here, but I just don't want to talk to them. I am positive I'm in love with Corey. One hundred percent. No doubts. ...Which is why I let him marry Kia.

With a sigh, I recline to a lying position on the bench...

...And am greeted by an all-too-familiar face.

Billie is standing there, one eyebrow arched, with his trademark smirk in place. "And hello there gorgeous. Was your fifteen minutes worth the blush that won't fade?"

I simply decide to reply to that with the most mature, adult, sophisticated thing I can do. I stick my tongue out at him.

He laughs in return and sits beside me, while I rest my head in his lap. Looking at him, I contemplate a few things.

Corey. So modern. Sophisticated. The older man. Knowledgeable. With actual problems and real world concerns. Someone who does everything for a reason, reasons behind everything. Oozing intelligence.

Then there's Billie. His name is old and funny sounding and I make fun of him for it all the time. But he's not old or creepy. He's calm. Down to earth. Very, very intelligent, but he doesn't shove it in your face. Screams in public for no reason. Already has faint laugh lines at twenty something. Who gets scared of monsters in the closet and does anything to make you laugh.

As the suns sets pink over the wedding I almost crashed, I wondered why my best friend never looked this good.

sns3guppy
Private E-2

Re: Stop That Wedding - 5/25

Postby sns3guppy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:25 am

“Don’t say ‘yes,’ Nancy!” I shouted, even before the crash of the chapel door echoed through the hall. The thick oak door bounced back and caught my shoulder. The entire room turned to stare at me; faces I didn’t know, glares of anger and shock.

“Who are you?” Nancy demanded, searching me for some recognition. “What do you want?”

“I’m Michael,” I said, my open palms outstretched. “It’s okay.”

“I don’t know a Michael,” Nancy wailed, her brow furrowed in worry and confusion. Her groom, dressed to the hilt in a far fancier tuxedo than I’ll ever own, skipped past confusion and looked one step shy of homicidal. I didn’t care. I didn’t come for him.

“I know you don’t, and that’s okay. My name is Michael Ott. I’m your author, Nancy.” I circled past a flower girl and made my way down the aisle, careful to remain well clear of in-laws on either side.

“My what?” Nancy asked, clearly stymied. Even her handsome groom stopped short.

“I’m your author, Nancy. I created you. I need you, honey, for the big scene.” I glanced around. Nobody seemed to understand. “You’ve got to come with me right away,” I quickly added.

“Look, mate, you’d better get your arse out of here!” the groom thundered. He had a thick Aussie accent. His best man moved to flank, while the groom made a beeline down the center aisle toward me.

“Hold it right there, mister!” I pointed at the best man, unflinchingly. “Both of you stop right now. Don’t make me delete one of you entirely.”

“Is that a threat?” demanded the best man. He sounded Aussie, too.

“No, it’s not, I’m afraid.” I replied. “I created Nancy, and I can’t let this wedding take place.”

The groom spun in his tracks to glare at Nancy. “I thought you said you didn’t have a father.” He said.

“I don’t.” Replied Nancy, still confused, but pretty as a button.

“She doesn’t,” I confirmed. “At least, I never gave her one. I’m not her dad. I’m her author.”

Insanity doesn’t sit well with Aussies, apparently. The groom advanced quickly and then paused, his hand thrust out. He opened his fist and a small grey object clattered to the floor with a plastic tinkle. I picked it up. It was the ‘delete’ key, off my own computer.

“Nice try, mate. I’m one step ahead of you.” The groom breathed in my face, threateningly. My turn to look confused. “You don’t get it, do you?” He was right about that. I didn’t get it.

Three days ago I tried to write the final scene, the one in which Nancy escapes from her lecherous Uncle and hides in the boat house. I already killed off her lover, a victim to her uncle, and now I had only to find a way to set her free. That was three days ago, but since I put her in the boat house, I couldn’t find her. I couldn’t think of a way to get her out, and try as I might, as I searched the corners of the boat house in my imagination, Nancy couldn’t be found. I couldn’t picture her in the boat house.

“You were going to kill her, mate.” Said the groom.

“That’s not true. She’s the heroine. I was going to set her free. You don’t know what you’re talking about.” I felt indignant. My main character, my protagonist, was stolen by a character from another book, and a foreigner at that.

“I know exactly what I’m talking about, mate,” replied the groom. “I’m marrying her and taking her to a romance novel where she will be safe.”

“Hold on a second,” I said. “I don’t do romance. Mine is a murder mystery.”

“Mystery solved.” Said the groom. “You did it.”

“Yes, I said. “I did.” With that, two masked gunmen stood up in the third aisle and shot the groom. “Anybody else?” I asked. The room remained silent. “I can write a dozen more!” The chapel didn’t have a back door, but I quickly wrote one in, and eased out of the great hall. I spirited Nancy to my waiting scratchpad, and we were gone.

I wrote Nancy back into the boathouse, but I’m stuck. There’s no way out. Her uncle is banging on the door with a garden rake. He won’t leave. What I really need is a jilted groom to come and save the day. Too bad I killed him.

spycoder9
Private E-1

Postby spycoder9 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:15 am

“Don’t say yes!”

Okay, perhaps not the best way to make an entrance. But the ceremony did stop dead in its tracks as I bounded towards the altar. Bridget stood there, gorgeous in her lacy wedding gown. Her blond hair was framed around those rosy red cheeks, sparkling white teeth, and deep blue eyes. How could I not try to attempt and stop her marriage to that block-headed idiot who was cheating on her. I had caught him lip locking with the red head secretary at his business in the alley out behind the church an hour before. And I had PICTURES.

“David!”

Bridget’s face twisted as she spat out my name. My heart wrenched. Now I was in a pickle. Her lips trembled as her eyes started to twinkle. We hadn’t split up on the best of circumstances, but we still loved each other. The only reason she was marrying this man was because her parents loved him and he had a wallet bulging with cash. My lips opened and closed as Bridget started to tremble all over. The groom glared at me with a look of pure malice.

“Don’t you dare give me a look,” I hurled at him while standing up on the alter. The preacher, dressed in holy white robes stumbled away from our confrontation, “I caught you makin’ out with the red head secretary of yours just an hour ago! I have PHOTOS!” I noticed Bridget had stopped sobbing as I handed copies of the pictures to the beloved groom. The church was obvious in the background, the time on the large clock. You could even see Bridget’s wonderful mother’s purple dress in the far background.

“T-Thomas!”

Bridget screamed in outrage. The fat mother of Bridget, whom I loved so much, had her gloved hand against her widened lips. The secretary, who happened to be attending the wedding, rose from the pew.

“Oh you better stay there!” Bridget roared.

I couldn’t help but grin. While the father of Bridget confronted the block-headed idiot, Bridget trampled down the aisles, her respectable appearance turning into a zombie bride. Her mascara trailed down those rosy red cheeks of hers. I kept grinning.

Maybe I had a shot.

loganatr
Private E-1

Postby loganatr » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:20 pm

“Don't say yes! Mary, I don't know how you can do this to me, you know I've always loved you! When you said you were leaving to clear your head, I always thought you'd be back. Like, that night, for dinner.
Now, I don't know a lot about love, the way it happens in those movies that little girls watch, but, I do know that you're the most beautiful and smartest woman that I know, and the one with the most integrity. When I was down in the dump...
I mean to say, I've been proud all this time, but I can change. You know I can change, you've seen it already.
Mary, lucidity and constancy are overrated...
Is it my sense of humor, Mary? Is that what this is all about!?? You're a beautiful woman and you know I care more about you than anything in the world. And, I can provide for... my half of things. And even though your taste in books and movies are crap- and, well, most media, really- I don't mind watching cheesy movies with you. It's nice just being with you. It's great just being with you!
And another thing, I'll give up yoga if that's what it takes, and you can paint the kitchen whatever color pleases you most. I'll even help you pick it out if it turns out you want some input.

I just hope this isn't about Michelle. I hate to bring her up, I really do, now, here, on the day you realize who you're truly mean to be with, really, for suresies no take-backs, no divorcies, for ever and ever and till death do us part, but if she was taking any pleasure in that dinner at all, I can't help that, it really was a business meeting. Sure, she... um, looked nice.. NOT AS NICE AS YOU! but, I mean, c'mon, I can't help what she chose to wear to that meeting. I got a really nice duvet out of the deal, and I don't even know what that is!!! I did it for you, Mary, for you, but you left and married some other guy before I could have it delivered.
I don't know if you've gotten my phone calls... what? Oh, she got my calls. Yes, thank you, peanut gallery... Yes. And the daily text messages, the facebook, emails... yes, thank you, I've got it.
Look. This is all I really want to say. My situation might not be perfect, my family might not be perfect, I might still be wandering toward my degree, and I may have led a troubled life, but I don't think you can deny that you were happy with me. REALLy happy. Remember Jackson Hole? Remember the three bears bonanza dinner? You always made me so happy- but I think that a part of that was because we were greater than the sum of our parts. Nobody ever came between us, Mary. Nobody. It's always been just you.

mfarraday
Lieutenant

Postby mfarraday » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:30 am

“Don’t say yes!”
Cameron stumbled up the aisle of the church, muddying the red velvet rug that had been laid specially for the bride and groom. It was raining outside and he was disheveled and drunk. He had arrived at the church just in time, with seconds to spare; the minister was handing the groom the ring. Strangely enough, the groom had blond hair, not brown; Cameron had only met Mitchell once or twice, and he was balding, but the hair that curled slightly over his ears had been dark on those occasions. Maybe Mitchell had gone blond for the wedding.
“Stop! Andrea. I love you…you can’t marry him…when you’re in love with me,” Cameron sobbed. The bride’s back was still turned away from him, and the congregation was watching in shocked silence. The minister stood at the altar, his mouth set in a grim line. Cameron dropped to his knees as the bride turned around slowly to face him. Her face was obscured by the veil, but she lifted it to see him better. Cameron faced her white open toed shoes in shame and painful anticipation. What on earth would she say to him?
“I’m afraid…” she began in halting tones. Cameron looked up to catch her expression and came to a horrible realization, just as she finished her sentence: “…that you have the wrong wedding.”

“…and that is how I ruined the wedding of two people who I never met before,” Cameron said. The men and women grouped around him clapped. He nodded quietly and took his seat.
The moderator, a man with glasses and a goatee, cleared his throat, stood up at the other end of the circle and paused.
“So, Cameron…we’re all dying to know…um…I know questions are not the norm, but…”
“You want to know what happened to Andrea?” Cameron said helpfully.
“Well, yes.” The moderator smiled foolishly, somewhat abashed.
“She’d gotten hitched the day before.”
“Ah.”
“So, anyone else willing to share…” the group moved on to other subjects. Rain fell steadily on the roof overhead. Cameron leaned back in his seat and thought about the airport. After he’d been summarily kicked out of the church that day, he’d gone home to find out where Andrea had gone. Several phone calls and hang-ups later (none of their friends wanted to tell him anything), he’d finally weaseled the information out of the pathetic mousy woman who worked as a manager at Andrea’s store. Just a little flattery, some flirting, was all it took, and she’d caved. Cameron had taken a taxi to the airport and found her guarding luggage in the Delta hub. Mitchell had gone to the restroom and they had five minutes together.
“I’ll never forget you, never, Cam.” Andrea said to him. “You know, it’s funny, when it’s raining outside like it is now, that’s when I like you best. I can feel you singing to me, just like that day in the park, when we took a walk and we got so wet…”
“And we came home next to the fire and dried each other off.”
“Yeah. It always comes back to me on days like today.” Andrea looked off into the distance in a daze, speculatively, her mind far away.
“But then why are you doing this, Andrea…why?” Cameron was pleading now.
“It’s like with the drinking…you know? Like you’re in love with two different people. One of them is me, and one of them is…the bottle.”
“But it’s not really like that.”
“I know it’s hard for you to see, but Mitchell…he’s a good man. And he puts me first. Really first. There’s no question in my mind who he loves. It’s gotta be like that, Cam. I can’t fight it anymore. There was no way for me to win.”
Cameron had stubbornly refused to believe. Even now, as he sat in this meeting, which his sister had persuaded him to attend, he was planning his next drink, just a tiny drink when he got home, to keep him in good spirits. Andrea was going to be gone for two weeks, and oh it was so hard to think about her out there with him…

GotReins
Private E-1

Postby GotReins » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:10 am

“Don’t say yes!”
The preacher peered around the bride and groom. “Did you say something?”
I was breathing heavily, my hair falling out of its bun and my clothes rumpled from the subway ride. I knew I looked like a crazy woman—and if I hadn’t known it, I would have figured it out from the disgusted faces of the congregation—but I didn’t stop. “You can’t say yes, Daniel, you just can’t.” The bride—God, she was beautiful—stared at me in shock, her mouth slightly parted. Daniel, my Daniel, froze at the sight of me, his face twisted into a . and turned to the preacher.
“I suppose I did forget that part,” said the preacher. “Are there any objections?”
“Damn it, there are. There are.” Walking with big strides, I made my way up the aisle, past the grandmas and sleeping babies and wide-eyed children. I walked over every little pink flower petal that I could. When I reached the couple, I . “Daniel…” He flinched away. I almost turned around and left, but something about the way he looked all dressed up in his tuxedo stopped me. He was the love of my life. I was going to regret it if I walked out now. I bit my lip and stared straight into his brown eyes.
“You can’t marry her. I thought you knew it—all this time, I thought you’d realize, figure it out—I love you. I love you, and every time I look at a can of chicken noodle soup, I love you. And every time I see Charlie’s Angels, I love you. And every time I eat ice cream on that red couch you always slept on, I love you. I thought you knew.” I took a deep breath. Angela stepped forward, her mouth open, about to say something. I hurried forward. “What does Angela hold over you? She’s gorgeous, sure. But does she make you laugh? Does she make you happy? Does she love you as you are? You’ve always told me you’d never change for someone you love. But you have changed—for her. She made you prefer tomato soup over chicken noodle. She made you watch Top Gun instead of Charlie’s Angels. She makes you sleep on the armchair in her apartment and now you’ve forgotten about the red couch. Daniel, I thought you knew.”
He looked at me hard. I saw him take in the mess I was. I didn’t want to see what his eyes looked like, so I stared instead at the stained glass windows and the white silk of Angela’s dress. I felt a touch at my elbow, Daniel’s hand. I shut my eyes tightly, and hoped and hoped and hoped like a little girl. “Caroline,” he said. I loved the way he said my name. I loved it so much that it ached, and I looked up. I took in his black tie, his pressed collar, his cleanly shaved face. I looked into his eyes. All I saw was pity.

mokingjay
Private E-1

Postby mokingjay » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:47 pm

"Don't say yes!"
The words escaped me before I could help them. There I stood, in the church, every eye on me. But I didn't care. I only cared for the pare of piercing blue eyes that looked at me from the altar. Silence, followed. No one moved. No one spoke. He looked at me, and I at him. And for that moment...or hour...or day...that was all that mattered. And everyone knew it.
He showed no surprise, no pain. Nothing. It was so like him. His perfect face was the image of strength of character. He could hide everything if he wanted to. Except from me. That's how I knew that I had to stop this wedding. I had to stop this wedding, because if David, my David, were to be happy, he needed his Martha. Not that New York City model standing with him in front of the Altar. She had a pretty face, but she didn't have ears. She couldn't sit and listen to him, pour his heart out. Not like I could.
And he knew it.
"Martha." Hes whisper echoed through the silent hall. His voice was tired.
"David." I said back a little louder. "Don't do this to yourself. You know as well as I that this is not right."
"But you said-"
"I know what I said, David, And I was wrong." People left the isle as I began to walk towards him. "I was afraid, I was afraid that relationship and careers couldn't both be number one, and I was foolish enough to think that school and work was more important than you. I have never been so foolish and weak in my life. Damn work! Damn learning! The only thing I care about now is you."
I had reached him now. Just an arm length away.
"I never loved anyone but you and I know that I never will."
He reached out for my hand, and I knew that it was up. I saw his tears as I felt my own streaming down my cheeks.
"Is it true?" He said at last.
I nodded, trying to control my sobs. "It is,"
"You love me Martha?"
"I do."
"We must not look at goblin men, we must not buy their fruit. Who knows upon which soil they fed their hungry thirsty roots." `Christina Rosetti

Previous

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges