Stop That Wedding - 5/25

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
VanidieS
Private E-1

RE: Stop That Wedding - 5/25

Postby VanidieS » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:27 am

"Don't say yes. Please don't say yes" I said softly under my breath.
The woman next to me looked over and I pretended I didn't see her. I closed my eyes praying, wishing, and coming up with any reason to stop this madness. Who am I to say anything. I rubbed my eyes and sighed softly.

"Do you love her? This is your last chance!" Said the woman next to me with a spotted dress.
All I could do is look at this woman then look at Monica up there so beautiful. Her dress laid delicately against her collar. Her lips highlighted with the beige tone. Her fingers draped over his. Closing my eyes once more I remember her and I at the lake. She grabbed my hand and said how she loved me. The one thing that has haunted me since I left was what she said that night.

"One day I will do something stupid and I need you to promise you wont leave me for it. You need to promise you will be there and stop me from doing anything wrong."

Well I've broken both promises. I left her for doing something stupid and her getting married is so wrong and all I am doing is sitting here. I whispered "Why am I so stupid."

All of a sudden the woman next to me jumped out of her seat. "Honey you can't do this!!!" said the spotted dress woman. I still couldn't get over how scary yet familiar the dress was. "MOM, What are you talking about?" screamed Monica.

I was absolutely speechless. Part of me was like great the mother of the bride heard me. The other part was saying thank you thank you thank you.

"I have never stood in the way of you doing something before, but I know there is someone here who loves you. Everyone except the putts up there knows you don't love him. I wouldn't be a good mother if I didn't at least try." Said the woman.

I so badly wanted to just stand up and leave. I managed to slide a little away from the woman. I should have known that wasn't good enough. She grabbed my arm and pulled me up. I heard gasps from in front and behind me. I looked at the ground for a long time until I decided that I'm already up and there's no way to get out of it now. I made eye contact with those shining blue eyes. I saw them slightly water up and she had that pouty smile to her lip. Man that kills me every time.

I had no idea what to say so I said exactly what I said to myself only moments prior.

"Monica, Do you remember that day out by the lake when you grabbed my hand and looked deep into my eyes and said that you loved me? Or better yet later that night when you made me promise to not leave you if you made a bad mistake. You asked the simplest things of me and I couldn't do that."

I took another deep breath and she took a few steps from me. Jerry, her husband to be, tried to hold on to her hand. She pulled away from him. I smiled and looked up at her once again.

"Monica I love you and it kills me that I left you in the first place. We always had the perfect relationship and we always talked about all the great things we will do together." I reached my hand out to touch hers. "Please, take my hand and forgive me for making a mistake. Its been 2 years without you and I still have all your clothes up in the closet just in case you came back."

She took my hand an pulled up close to me. In a soft voice she said "I've been waiting for you to do this for years. Thats why you were invited to the wedding because I knew you would come and I knew you couldn't handle it."

She pulled her lips close to mine and hovered there for a short while before placing them against mine. It was almost a magical moment. Just like the first time out by the lake. I closed my eyes and poured all the love i've been holding on to for 2 years into her.

"I don't believe you did that," yelled someone from the back. I turned around with Monica still in my hands and there was this woman. All of a sudden the blood rushed from my heart and I felt cold. Then Monica's mother yelled "Sit down sweetheart, we will talk about this later." It all came back to me. She was the woman with the spotted dress, the sister of Monica and the daughter of this woman next to me.

I then realized I cheated on Monica with her own sister. Then everything went black and next thing I know I am in the hospital laying in a bed all alone with no one sitting next to me. Just a note that said.

Its hard to love someone
who left me because of
their own fear and guilt
and found some way to
blame it on me.
-Monica

klyndwyr2
Private E-1

Re: Stop That Wedding - 5/25

Postby klyndwyr2 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:56 pm

"Dont' say yes!" I yelled as I crashed through the doors of the chapel.
I could feel the blush creeping up my face as the crowd turned to glare at me, but I couldn't care now. Nathan was about to give himself away to someone who could never love him like I did.
I ignored the stares and whispers and hurried down the aisle. He stared at me like I was a crazy woman. I stole a glance at Delia and there was fire in her eyes. A chill ran through me, but I kept on, fueled by the idea that this was my last chance and the sight of her perfect figure in a white dress, standing hand in hand with the love of my life.
I stopped at the stairs leading up to the pulpit. I was frozen. I stared up at Nathan, my desperation evident on my face. The tears flowed freely and I took a ragged breath to calm myself.
"Please," I begged as I moved up a step.
He closed his eyes, his hand was still holding Delia's tightly and she moved closer to him now. I closed my eyes and took another deep breath. When I opened them, she was holding on to him for dear life.
"Niky, don't do this." he said.
A sob caught in my throat. "What?" I managed to whisper.
"Don't do this. Not here, not now."
"But--but--you have to remember. What we had, how much I love you. Please..."
"Niky-" his voice was sad, stressed, sympathetic.
I shook my head and took a step back.
"You... dont'... want-" my voice caught. "me?"
He closed his eyes and shook his head once. Delibratly. "I'm sorry..." he whispered.
I shook my head once more and turned around. Tears blurred my vision as I watched the pink petals under my feet race by. I reached the massive oak doors and heaved.
The sun was now gone, covered by dark clouds. I walked out onto the lawn of the church and fell onto my knees, utterly exhausted. I had done what I came to do... and I had failed.
A single drop of rain fell onto my bare arm and I shivered.
Just then, I heard the door of the church slam. I stayed frozen on my knees, unable to look behind me, too numb to care. As the rain began to fall, I felt warm hands on my arms. I stiffened and turned my head to the right. Nathan's face was only inches from mine. I quickly wiped away my tears, only to have more follow.
I stuggled to stand up; he straightened and offered me his hand.
"I'm so sorry!" I exclaimed. "I don't know what I was thinking, I should never have done that, and I understand if you're here to tell me to never--"
Before I coud finish my rantings he pulled me closer. He put his free hand on my face and kissed me.
The rain fell and he kissed me with all the passion he could muster. I melted in his arms and at that moment knew that he was mine.
He pulled away, and looked into my eyes.
"I love you." I could feel the sincerity in his voice and I fell back into his arms.
At that moment I realized that I had done what I came to do... and I had won.

Carolina
Private E-1

Postby Carolina » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:18 pm

“Don’t say yes!”
The day that he told me he was really going to ask her to marry him, I had sworn to myself that this day would not come. One of my strongest beliefs is that real life is not like a movie. I spent everyday of the two years that I had loved him telling myself that.
Then that little phrase about real life being stranger than fiction would float through my mind tormenting me with its relentless whispers of hope. I also had believed love at first sight is a myth until I met Kevin. And I hadn’t believed you could fall in love with someone and feel like he was your best friend either. Knowing Kevin had eradicated that belief as well.
I guess you could say then that this was just the culmination of my ever evolving belief system. Kevin and Charlotte’s wedding day. He had been my best friend. I heard all the details of the plan to ask her months ahead of time. I had listened to him describe the search for and the success of finding the perfect ring.
Then I watched him turn and flee when I told him that I was in love with him. He had asked me why I would tell him after he was already engaged. I told him that it was something that I knew I just had to do.
“No, you didn’t.” And he ran out the door. We didn’t see each other or speak for two weeks after that. The next time we did talk it was as if I had never said those words and we were just two friends. I didn’t get a wedding invitation, though. That was six months ago.
Three weeks ago he told me he wanted to see me. I played it off as a joke but hung up steamed that he would say that to me when he knew how I felt about him. And so close to his wedding! The nerve!
Three weeks is a long time to think…and to formulate very stupid plans.
“Don’t say yes!”
It occurred to me in that moment that I have a very loud voice. Every eye turned to the back of the church. I suddenly understood what the authors of my favorite novels meant when they said the character’s mouth had gone dry and she could feel the pounding of her heart inside her throat. I took a tentative step forward and kept my eyes on Kevin at the front of the church instead of the people to my left and right.
“Kevin, I know you love me. I know it. I don’t know why you ran when I told how I feel. I don’t know why you are standing in this church about to say ‘I do’ to someone else. I don’t know why you never kissed me all those times that I could see in your eyes that you wanted to. But I’m here now. I was afraid when you called me and said you wanted to see me. You didn’t admit that you were having second thoughts so I took it as some sick joke.” I stopped then and stared at him not bothering to brush away the tears that now trickled like quiet streams down my face. There were so many things I had wanted to say to him these last six months but the words withered and blew away in that moment. I had already told him I loved him. Now it was his turn; he had to make the choice himself.
"Carolina." He said it like he wasn't entirely sure that it was actually me.
"Kevin. Please don't walk away from me again."

Carolina
Private E-1

Postby Carolina » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:46 pm

Mokso that was beautiful.

frommyheart2urs
Private E-1

Re: Stop That Wedding - 5/25

Postby frommyheart2urs » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:12 am

“Don’t say yes!”

Everyone shifted in their seats to see who had intruded on their ceremony. And they couldn’t believe their eyes when they saw John Peters doubled over and trying to catch his breath.

“Caroline, don’t say yes,” John repeated as he took a couple of steps down the aisle toward the unsuspecting bride and groom.

Caroline looked on in horror as all eyes now were on her. “Mr. Peters, what are you doing here?”

“You know damn well what I am doing here, Caroline.” His usually pale features were beet red, and he was exhausted. He’d run the whole way there from the train station. He knew he had too if he wanted to stop the love of his life from marrying someone else. He also knew he’d taken a chance coming there, but he felt it was a risk worth taking. He figured no one in the church would harm him. Attacking a white man in the south during the 70’s was like signing your own death warrant.

“Caroline, what is he doing here?” George asked, taking her by the arm. His warm brown eyes were now filled with anger and confusion.
“I don’t know what he’s doing here.” But her quivering voice gave her away. And everyone knew he was there for her, even if she didn’t want to admit it.

“I told you that light skinned heifer wasn’t any good!” George’s mother shouted as she rose from her seat. “She don’t think her own people is good enough for her, just because they let her work in that fancy school of theirs.”

“Caroline, you don’t have to answer to anyone but me right now. So, tell me why he’s here,” George said, growing more impatient by the moment.

Caroline wanted to say something, but she couldn’t find her voice. She could feel everyone watching her and it was as though their eyes were burrowing into her flesh, and setting her skin on fire.

“I am here because I love her!” John shouted as he tried to break free from the two men restraining him. “And you love me too.”

“George, I never wanted to hurt you,” Caroline said finally finding her voice. She reached for him, but he pushed her hand away in disgust.

“So, he’s telling the truth? You love him?” George already knew the answer, but he needed to hear her say it. He needed to hear her betrayal to make it real.

Thoughts were racing through her head at a hundred miles per minute, but Caroline knew she owed George an explanation. And seeing John standing there, fighting to break free, gave her the courage that she needed to tell George the truth.

“George, I am in love with him.” Caroline said it to George but she was looking at John.

“He’s a white, Caroline! How could you be so stupid?” George shook his head in disbelief, but he could see it in her eyes that it was true. She looked at John the way that he’d hoped she would look at him one day. Infuriated and embarrassed by her actions and proclamation of love for another man, George raised his hand preparing to hit her. But Caroline refused to cower as his hand came towards her. She was ready to accept her punishment for loving a man that she knew she shouldn’t.

“I may not like her, but I raised you better than that!” George’s mother grabbed his hand, stopping his fist just before it hit the cheek that he’d caressed so tenderly a thousand times before.

John broke free from his captures as they loosened their grip, too distracted by what was taking place between Caroline and George to hold him any longer.

“Caroline, I have two train tickets. We can leave today, and never look back,” John said pushing past the people who were now flooding the aisles. “I have a friend up north who is starting his own school and needs teachers like you and me. All you have to do is say, yes. Caroline, please say yes.”

She wasn’t sure if it was the commotion of it all that caused her to have a moment of insanity, and forget that she and John were from different worlds, but she said yes. She knew their life together wouldn’t be easy, but at least she was following her heart, and that was enough for her.

mammamia1803
Private E-1

Postby mammamia1803 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:20 am

"Don't say yes!"

What an entrance.

Usually, I try not to make a fool of myself. Usually. But occasionally, I just can't help myself. Why would I let--HIM--marry? A terrifying thought, let alone reality.

So maybe I felt a little bad about bursting out in the middle of the ceremony. I know how frantic people are about their wedding days, you know, when they want everything to be perfect. But really, the only reason I even came to the wedding in the first place was to interrupt it. And for the cake.

But I was truly, honestly in love with my best friend, the groom, and he didn't know it. So when he went off to marry some other woman, I regretted not telling him, for all these years, how I felt.

"Excuse me?" the priest looked shocked.

"Yeah, you heard me. Don't say it, James, or you'll regret you ever did!" I bellowed, immediately wanting to take my words back and swallow them and digest them and wish they never existed.

"Ma'am, if you insist on being so rude, then you may leave!" the priest shouted.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you asked for objections," I said cooly, hating the side of me that prevailed at the moment. What was driving me to say such things? Since when was I so witty? Was it the anger and fear, engulfing me as I spoke?

Everyone looked shocked. James was horrified, and he bride looked as if she might cry. I was torturing these people, and all because of love. But I couldn't leave it there. I couldn't object and not say why. I just had to add the details. I swallowed.

"James," I began, looking him in the eyes, "I'm sorry. I really am. But sometimes, you just can't help but to be in love. Ever since we met, I knew something was special about you. And as our bond grew, I realized--"

"This is MY wedding!" the bride sobbed. "And this is MY love!"

The room grew awkward and silent. It was the kind of feeling where you wanted to run off, everyone did, but that would seem awfully ridiculous if everyone ran off at once, so everyone stayed put.

"What can I say?" I grinned aan innocent smile. James sighed and put a hand to his forehead.

"You aren't--DECIDING, are you? You're marrying me!" the bride screeched.

"Would you shut up?" James snapped. The bride shut up. "Well, it's a little late for all this nonsense, isn't it? Lily, I can't just run off with you or something. I have a wife."

"It's never too late to say no," I said softly as a tear ran down my cheek.

Kairann
Private E-1

Postby Kairann » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:03 am

@Mandy92: aww man, i was supposed to post something like that :'(

oh well, i guess great minds really do think alike :)

Kairann
Private E-1

Postby Kairann » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:03 am

@Mandy92: aww man, i was supposed to post something like that :'(

oh well, i guess great minds really do think alike :)

cherrycoke77
Private E-1

Postby cherrycoke77 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:45 pm

"Don't say yes!" my voice reverberates and bounces off the rainbow stained-glass walls of the domed cathedral. I freeze right where I am as my face grows increasingly hot as the crowds of family, friends, co-workers, and significant others turn their faces in my direction. It suddenly dawns on me what I've done.

Max seems out of it. He looks as though he weren't physically ebullient about this sacred act of marriage, but more like he was turned on auto-pilot, robotically assuming a full commitment to a woman he didn't love.

"Glor--what are you--" he chops his sentences at the sheer amazement of my out-of-character act. I can see a glint of desperation and tenderness in his eyes.

But I knew what I had to do. I couldn't let Max marry this 'other woman'. I look at her standing next to my soulmate, my only true man. She is wearing a tacky veil on her fakely permed and dyed hair, 5 inch pearl white heels, and a push-up braw that protrudes out hideously. I still am unable to fathom why he would even consider her over me. We were meant for each other. I knew it. I could feel it the first time we held hands and kissed. I could feel it the first time we'd both lied on the smooth beach towel at CoCo beach in Florida as the sand felt like bliss beneath our feet and the sun glittered on our skin. Not only did I know it, but he knew it as well. We were just so connected.

Maybe if I hadn't moved to New York to embark on my writing career things wouldn't have changed. Maybe if I had savored and treasured what I had had all along, things would have remained. Maybe if I hadn't had told him I didn't love him, we still would be wrapped in each others arms. But the truth was, I did love him. Like inflamed torch that fails to be extinguished no matter how many trivial blows you throw at it. It still maintains its fervor, strength, and light.

"What the hell is she doing here?!" 'other woman' squeals edgingly at Max.

"I..." Max squints off into the distance at me across the hall. He hesitates, but somehow knows.

"Mommmmm!" shrieks pungently. The guests all murmur in utter shock amongst themselves. She stalks off the altar and cries like a freaking baby.

I run, run, run as fast as humanely possible down the aisle to the man of my dreams. The man who I had been waiting for all my life. The man who loves me. This marriage was a mistake, he knows. I know. I feel the wind whip past me as I run, my sun dress fluttering behind me. I hear the "whooshing" sounds as I attempt to focus on my speed across the church. I inch closer and closer.

I kiss him. I grab him at the mouth, and give him the most meaningful kiss I could posses. It's powerful, organic. He kisses me back, knowingly. I feel the grin he now wears as he kisses me back and carries me in front of everyone.

"Max, what the hell are you doing?! Glorya, get away from him!" his mother yells as us as she tries to get out of her pew.

He grabs my hand and pulls me down the aisle I ran through and out the massive wooden doors of the cathedral. He effortlessly holsters me into his arms and sprints down the stairs of the church and into the distance. The sun, clouds, Earth, the world greets us happily like never before.

All it took, on my part, was a little bit of faith, and a big leap of courage.

TheWriterWithNoMind
Private E-1

Postby TheWriterWithNoMind » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:15 pm

"Don’t say yes!" These were the only words I could think of; it felt like someone was jamming frogs in my throat, to keep me from my own miserable mistakes. I had a feeling it was my mother. Sure, my hair was greasy and I hadn’t shaved in weeks, but from the bottom of my heart I had a feeling… a small one, like the ones you see in real relationships, the ones that give you happiness from just knowing that everything is going to be alright. I had that kind of feeling, just hoping and holding on for its dear life, just because of this feeling was the reason why I had to stop him from doing it. Be his mistake or mine, I had to know.

Beautiful white flowers and baby blue satin dresses were in the aisle, caressing over every other persons arm. A cute and happy tune came from a pianist sitting in the corner, smiling. He just kept on playing as Gabriel stared at me, disbelievingly and suspiciously at the same time.

He sighed, but he didn’t sigh of relief, or sadness… or happiness. In fact, in that moment I wasn’t sure what he did sigh of. “Of course you would do this, break up my love, selfishly might I add, just because you’re alone.”
I didn’t know what to say… "What do you mean? I’m not alone, because… you’re alive. You still exist so I don’t have to be alone, you can just come home and stay with me again?" To me I just sounded like a lunatic, I didn’t hear any words that actually gave him a reason to stay with me. “Remember… sitting around all of those campfires, talking back and forth about life and how we hated it? Well, those were the happiest times of my life, and I want those back. Please, Gabriel, just remember those feelings?”

“I was your girlfriend because of your intelligence, keen sense of great books, smart political views and humor.” He stopped and waved a rude finger in my face, “I didn’t love you because of your controlling attitude and the fact that you were going to ruin my only marriage.”

Only marriage… those words stung at her heart. "Gabe, don’t you remember last year when I was on that cliff by the ocean?"

"Yes, Sam, I do."

I sighed from a desperate attempt at catching his heart again. "I fell, and you caught me, remember?"
Gabriel ran a hand through his hair and gave off a small smile. "I certainly remember that."

I couldn’t take it! The flowers, the dresses, the pink, the blue, his face, his tuxedo! I trudged onto the alter and took him by the tie, sighing. "Now you’re off with some other girl, all of our memories gone from existence and swept away into that very same ocean!"

"Sam, that’s not-
"No! This can’t happen… we were in love, you said those very same words to me! Just a year ago we were going through a beautiful and romantic relationship and you leave me just out of the blue! There was no reason either!"

He placed a hand on my lips and embraced me into a hug, "I left because I fell in love all over again." I tried to barge in the middle of his exchange but he seemed stuck on it. "But now you’ve interrupted my ceremony, forced me to remember our good times, and… you’ve made me see that there’s no way-
I struggled under his strong grip and finally came free, smashing my lips against his… and he kissed me back.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges