Complaint Letter to Your Darkest Fear - 8/31

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
lostchyld
Private E-1

RE: Complaint Letter to Your Darkest Fear - 8/31

Postby lostchyld » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:32 pm

East of the Sun
West of the Moon

Social Anxiety
Deep Dark
My Brain

Dear Sir,

It has come to my attention that you have decided to haunt me. This is a problem to me because, while I like being social, your presence is preventing all social activities.

I am sure you understand that my reference to all social activities refers to every activity outside my home and several activities inside that residence. For instance, while I enjoy my customer service job, your presence compels me to hide from customers, negating any positive influence I could have on them. Also, the fear of people is extending to the characters in my writing. Not only can I not socialize with my physical friends, but I also am rendered by your presence to write my stories.

I understand that you need a home, but there are many people of a hermit nature you could reside with. For instance, Robert would provide a wonderful abode for you with a great many companions you would appreciate. Perhaps you would consider relocating?

Thank you for taking the time you listen to my complaints. I appreciate your consideration.

Sincerely,
Morgan

lostchyld
Private E-1

Postby lostchyld » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:32 pm

East of the Sun
West of the Moon

Social Anxiety
Deep Dark
My Brain

Dear Sir,

It has come to my attention that you have decided to haunt me. This is a problem to me because, while I like being social, your presence is preventing all social activities.

I am sure you understand that my reference to all social activities refers to every activity outside my home and several activities inside that residence. For instance, while I enjoy my customer service job, your presence compels me to hide from customers, negating any positive influence I could have on them. Also, the fear of people is extending to the characters in my writing. Not only can I not socialize with my physical friends, but I also am rendered by your presence to write my stories.

I understand that you need a home, but there are many people of a hermit nature you could reside with. For instance, Robert would provide a wonderful abode for you with a great many companions you would appreciate. Perhaps you would consider relocating?

Thank you for taking the time you listen to my complaints. I appreciate your consideration.

Sincerely,
Morgan

gr8sv18
Private E-1

Complaint Letter to Your Darkest Fear

Postby gr8sv18 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:35 pm

Dr. Mediocrity
1234 Lane Street
Somewhere, Someplace 12345

Dear Dr. Mediocrity,

There are a lot of people in this world and even more that I have never met. It seems to me business is going very well for you. You don't hear too often of extraordinary people or events now-a-days and for that, I say good work sir. However I am no longer in the market for any of the business you handle, and handle well I might add. You see, I do not want to be another Joe or Tom but instead a Washington or an Einstein! This life is too short and precious to be wasted in your hands and because of that, I have decided to take my business elsewhere.

I would like to offer you my deepest apologies because at this time I am calling the offices of Exceptional to arrange an appointment to meet with their consultant. Gone are the days when sitting by and watching others succeed is an acceptable means of entertainment. I am going to pick up my pen, in this case it has 106 keys and a sister with two buttons and a scroll wheel, and write until the world knows my name!

Well it seems that we still have some time left on our contract, not much tough. So I have decided to wait out the contract instead of paying the hefty early cancellation fee. So in the end I guess this letter is to tell you that come next Spring, I will not be renewing my contract for your services, until then, I am all yours.

Sincerely,

A not so Special Guy

*P.S. Forward this to Dr. Procrastination and Mr. Laziness.*

sprice
Private E-1

Postby sprice » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:38 am

Dear Age,

This ride is going way too fast. I was just sitting pretty in my 20’s – drinking beer (with no hangover, mind you), partying, flirting – and all of the sudden I find myself approaching 40 faster than a person with the runs can find a toilet. What the hell is going on here? I have gray hairs, some wrinkles are creeping in and are my boobs drooping a little? Already?

Can you tell your friend, Youth, to give me a break? Social Media is making me into more of a monster and it is his fault. Well, him and whoever invented airbrushing. Please stop your little collaboration. I really do not have thousands of dollars to spend on plastic surgery trying to defy you.

Speaking of thousands of dollars, you forgot to tell me that it is very hard to join the Peace Corps or to stay up all night talking under the stars or to take a year off to try your luck at acting when you have a job to get to a mortgage to pay.

Who says I need a mortgage and responsibilities anyways? The big old “3-0” creeps around and suddenly I have more rules than I can count. Well, I am going to rebel, Age. And you cannot stop me. I intend to be free and creative and wild in spite of you. This fast ride is going to fly with the top down and the wind whipping through the driver’s hair!

Cheers,
S. Price

mnmurray15
Private E-1

Re: Complaint Letter to Your Darkest Fear - 8/31

Postby mnmurray15 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:15 am

Dear, Future Better Half
I haven't known who you are or where you've been for quite some time. I request that you make your presence known and show your face, not knowing is just bugging the heck out of me. I don't know who I'm supposed to go out with so if you would just let me know when it's really you I'd gain a couple years back.
When you see me could you drop a small kiss for me, preferably to the right of the mouth, that way I'll know for sure that it's you.
Just a warning when you meet me I'll probably tell you off and run away for a while...don't worry, if you just keep up the good work I'll wake up eventually.
Don't ever tell me I'm worthless, my parents have told me enough for a thousand lifetimes so I think I get the picture now...
The quicker we get married the better, I’m tired of this place...my dream is to move out west, don’t tell me your the answer to my dreams then throw them all away... the last person who told me that and then went behind my back and was telling my brother what he planned on really doing got his @$$ kicked so watch out.

Loving,
Miss Single

StygianWhispers
Private E-1

Postby StygianWhispers » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Dearest Irrationality,

You have betrayed me for the last time. I can not take your impertinent, constant nagging. You’re inside my head, you’re under my skin, and worst of all you’re not even real. I can feel you creep inside my veins. You can boil my blood or freeze it in its path. You do not realize how undeniably unreasonable you truly are. You’ve no reason to be here. I do not fear being buried alive; I fear being buried in you.
You have made me suffer for an uncountable time. I writhe in my sleep. I don’t even sleep anymore. If I fall into subconscious at all, my thoughts are filled with you. You infiltrate me best defense lines and by the time I call in reinforcements, you are gone. You vanish like it’s ease in its simplest form. Why is it that you leave when I want you to stay and you stay when I want you to leave? The answer is simple: you’re irrationality.
If I truly wake up and there is satin lining above my head, then you can do a triumphant dance in the pit of my gut and say that you’ve won. However, every morning that I wake up and can still see the dawn penetrating through my windows, you are defeated. My troops outnumber your facades. They always will.
Someday I will finally eradicate you. One day, there will be no shiver down my spine; there will be no shuddering in the corner. There will be nothing but an existence truly lived. I will outlast you because you are irrational. Are you even rational? You say. My dear friend, by God I am not! Nonetheless, I contain more of a soul than you ever will. Perhaps rationality has nothing to do with it.
Perhaps all I need to do is get a good night’s sleep.

Yours truly,

M.B.

Sheba
Private E-1

Postby Sheba » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:07 am

Dear Loneliness,

You deserve to be pelted with rotten tomatoes in the town square and left in the hot sun till you shrivel to death.
I know I sound bitter, but you have been muttering loudly in my ear for the past five years as I try to go about my business, and it is getting very annoying. All that negativity is enough to make the nicest person crack and grab the nearest heavy object. I don’t care if you think I’ll be alone forever, if this is it, if you’re sure I’ll never find him. If he doesn’t care enough to find me, who needs him?

I know you think you found your ideal victim to pick on – and I’m writing to let you know you are wrong, wrong, wrong. I have been betrayed , yes, I have been lied to and cheated on, yes. But I am a survivor.

I am perfectly happy where I am right now. And obviously, I am not in control of who walks into my life and when and just how much he really cares about my existence. You say I need someone to take care of me? I’m already being taken care of – by a Power greater than you. So just go find someone else to torment.

Yours Truly,

Me

jamminjesse
Private E-1

Postby jamminjesse » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:10 pm

Mom and Dad
3301 Angry Street
Temper Tantrum, Bruises

Dear Mom and Dad,
I'm sad to say my deepest darkest fear(s) are you! Every day I dread coming home for fear of what might be awaiting me. Contrary to most kids, school is one of my favorite places! It's one of the few places you can't get to me. Do you know how many times I have legitimately considered running away? I got out the door with my bag and my coat, i was so close. But you know what stopped me? The cat came up and purred at me and wrapped herself around my legs. I just want to make it very clear I'm NOT DEPRESSED. I am one of the happiest people in 8th grade, you know why? MY FRIENDS. I have the best friends in the world. The two people who keep me running are not you two, you guys drag me down, but my best friend Lexi and my boyfriend Dale. If I could live with Lexi, I would jump at the chance and only look back to see if you cared. I doubt you would. You care about my grades, but not how you make me feel when you yell, hit, and all those other things that make me cry and run away screaming. I can't stand to be around you. HOW DARE YOU TRY TO MAKE UP WITH ME?!?!? YOU COME INTO MY ROOM AND TRY TO BE NICE WHEN I CAN FEEL MY HEART AND BONES BREAKING UNDER YOUR VOICE AND HAND?!?!?!? You sicken me. I would throw up all over you if i wasn't so scared. You say "You don't know what you're saying, you're too naive to really understand what's going on." GUESS WHAT?!? I understand completely because you yelled it so loud I don't think I'll forget!!
I really have no way to wrap up this letter except that I hope you never read it and if you do dont be surprised if I'm gone the next morning.

I love Lexi and Dale,
Jess

shrewsburytl
Private E-1

Postby shrewsburytl » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:11 pm

To my not-so-dearest Darkness,

Why do you haunt me? Do you think it's funny to threaten me with your swallowing me whole? Is it not enough that you steal the daylight from me when I already feel that I don't have enough to fill my day?

You're soul is black, darkness. Darker than any black hole in the universe. And you consume everything. I wander in terror, groping for any familiar, warm object. I move through you and you don't even feel it. I swim in you while I wonder what will grab me, some evil thing no doubt. A minion of the night that you received for your services when you made your deal with Satan to troll the world with your cloak of invisibility for hours at a time.

Because of you, I can't even get up to go to the bathroom at night. And not just last night or the night before-every night of my life. When I was little, you let the monsters in the closet and under the bed whisper at me. I grew older and you laughed at me when the reflection in the dark window made me jump at my own movement. Now, the sheer lack of knowing what's out there-what's in you- won't even allow me to walk to the bathroom without risk of injury on the furniture or the doorjambs.

What's more are the faces one sees when you toy with logic otherwise intact-intact with the daylight. The ghosts, the memories, the noises. All in service to you. All tormenting me.

So thank you for the lifelong inconvenience. My occupation in this world as a nocturnal hermit forever remains your fault. I will never forgive you.

Stubborngirl
Private E-1

Postby Stubborngirl » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:31 pm

Dear YOU,

You sneak, You slim, You crawl and you dig. You are my greatest fear. For I do not know why. Many times I have asked you why and many times you have ignored my cries. You are evil, you hurt, you kill, you maim, you! You are my greatest fear! Without you we could not function. Without you we would not be the same. We need you and yet I fear you...why why why!!! For the answer I do not know. Perhaps I am not suppose to know the answer to that question. Every other fear I can rationalize in my head but you, you elude me and in turn I fear you. You are electricity and you are my greatest fear. I hate that I can not conquer you and that you have this power over me and that you always will.

Sincerely,

Me.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges