Power Outage - 6/15

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Cana
Private E-1

RE: Power Outage - 6/15

Postby Cana » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:47 pm

The story itself: Wrong Number

My phone starting ringing with the default ring tone while I was juggling with grocery bags. I ignored it and proceeded to dump everything onto my carpet.
After a moment of silence, it started up again. Everyone on my limited contact list had their own ring tone. This was obviously a sales person or wrong number. I started opening my bags and sorting through the food.
The third time it rang, I groaned and trudged to retrieve it from my purse. I didn't recognize the number, and I pressed, "ignore."
I was about to go back to putting the groceries away when the same phone number flashed on my phone. "Persistent," I muttered, sighing. I clicked, "accept" and placed the phone to my ear.
"Hello?" I asked, annoyed.
"WHERE IS BILL?!"
I recoiled from the phone, rubbing my ear. "Excuse me?" I asked.
"I know he's there!" a woman yelled from the other end, smarting out my phone's speakers, "Tell Bill to get on the phone RIGHT NOW!"
"I think you have the wrong number, ma'am," I said, "There's no Bill here."
"You lying slut!" she screamed at me. I'd never been called a slut before, and I have to admit that I'd really appreciate never being called that again.
"Um, ma'am..." I tried to say.
She interrupted me. "Get my husband on the phone now! He has a family! How dare you... HOW DARE YOU ruin this house?!"
"Look," I snapped, "You, ma'am, have the wrong number. I don't know any Bills, and you have the wrong phone number."
"To hell I do!" I heard footsteps in the background, like she was running, "I'm going to find out where you live right now, and you'll be sorry you EVER messed with me! My brother is in the mafia, and he..."
I hung up and tossed the phone onto the couch. "Sheesh," I said to no one, "What the heck was that?"
My phone rang again. I groaned and answered it, knowing she would just call back. "Hello?" I grumbled.
"DON'T YOU DARE HANG UP ON ME RACHEL MARIE PELT!"
My heart stopped. "How do you know my name?" I demanded.
"You young people aren't the only ones with internet," she said. Her voice was low, seething. Dangerous.
"Look, ma'am," I said, my heart pounding in my ears, "You have the wrong number. You need to look at what you dialed, and try a different combination. I'm not dating anyone right now, and I don't want to upset you."
"55215 Red Dawn St," she said.
"Th... that's on the other side of town," I stammered, "I... uh..."
"My brother has connections, you skank," she spat, "Get Bill on the phone, and maybe I'll decide not to tell my brother where you live."
"I can't! I don't know a Bill!" I cried, running to the door to grab my keys. If she knew where I lived, I had to get out of there.
"My brother won't stop until he blows your brains out! He's going to spread your guts all over the pavement while you're still alive and screaming for mercy!" the woman on the other end hissed, "You just wait. Run skank, RUN!"
I hung up and ran outside to my car. I fumbled with my keys with trembling fingers and tried to open my door.
My phone rang with her number on the caller ID again. Almost in tears, I accepted the call and placed it to my ear. "Hello?" I whimpered, trembling.
"Um, I'm sorry," the woman said, her low voice suddenly a few octaves higher, "This is rather embarrassing, but I have the wrong number. Please forget this ever happened. If you'll excuse me, I have to make a phone call to the real skank. Have a good day."

[someone calls a cell phone of one of the teenagers in the group with someone on the other end screaming: "WHERE IS BILL?!"]

BingoBill
Private E-1

Postby BingoBill » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:00 am

The kids are a little frightened by the tornado siren’s wail and the slightly musty odor of the basement.

“Dad, what is a tornado?”

Thinking quickly, “A tornado is a windstorm that appears sometimes with thunderstorms. Don’ worry, we’re in the basement and nothing will hurt us here.”

“What if a tornado came here,” my seven year old chimed in, “Could it come in the basement?”

I had a mental image of a tornado entering the house through the front door and coming down the basement step. My kids anthropomorphize objects and events, giving human characteristics to the known and unknown.

“What would happen if a tornado came to the house? First of all I wouldn’t answer the door. No sir-ee, I would let him ring and ring and ring the bell and finally I would tell him ‘Go away Mr. Tornado, we don’t want any.”

My two boys laughed and gathered closer. I could hear the rain pounding the side of the house and the sudden boom of lightening as it struck closeby.

“Mr. Tornado is a grumpy old storm that wants to come in and make you upset but we don’t let him! Instead we tell the story of the magic tornado vacuum!!”

‘Tornado vacuum!’ my eldest screeched.

“Yep. The tornado vacuum is a machine for sucking up tornados so they won’t hurt people. It was invented by..” struggling for a name, “Thomas Edison a hundred years ago”

“if there is a tornado vacuum then do tornados hurt people?’ Jeremy asked.

“A tornado vacuum only works if you get inside the tornado, it’s a really hard thing to do. “

“Your silly daddy.” My daughter stated with all the maturity her five years allowed.

The basement lights snapped on and I was momentarily blinded as the gloom was chased away.

Monsters and tornados. Oh, to be a kid again.

greenpeach06
Private E-1

Re: Power Outage - 6/15

Postby greenpeach06 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:31 am

Note to self: I probably shouldn't have read these right before going to bed last night since I was alone and it was storming pretty heavily outside . . . :)

Great stories though!!

Inkspill
Private E-1

Postby Inkspill » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:49 am

The power had gone out, and I was home alone with five little girls, high on sweets, cake and coke, and the general joy that comes with a birthday-sleepover party.
They were a bit scared now, with the wind howling and screeching outside, rattling the windows and doors. One of them, a ten year old girl with dark hair and dark eyes was looking a bit teary-eyed already, and my daughter, not scared of some storms and winds, but looking a bit upset that the weather frightened most of her guests and threatened to ruin ruined her perfect, magical 12th birthday-party. I needed a plan of action.

About five minutes later I discovered that in the past six years, some things had changed. One of them: The kids didn't like shadow-bunny Sha and his best friend Dow any more. In fact, they thought my genius creation to be down-right boring. Even the dark-haired ten year old giggled when the other four started mocking me.
"Daddy, this is stupid!"
"Ohhhh, I think it's cute! My seven-old sister makes shadow-bunnies, too!" that was Katy, my dauther's best friend, a girl with wild, brown hair, a sweet, innocent smile and a far too sharp tongue for her age.
"Okay. Fine! No more shadow bunnies!" I pouted for a few moments, but then decided that I needed to do something. "Well, if you are all so grown-up, I think you won't mind hearing a..." a pause for suspense, looking into five big, wide pairs of eyes "Ghost Story"
"Oh! Cool!"
"Yes! GHOST STORY!"
The dark-haired girl nodded, too, even though she looked a bit scared.
"Alright. Everyone, make a circle around me and turn off the flashlights!"
a few minutes, extra pillows and giggles and whispers we were all set and ready to go. Except me. I was digging through my head, trying to find a good story, feeling the expectant eyes of the girls on me. I remembered a local legend I had written about a long time ago, in a homework, and scratche dtogether what ever I could remember.
"A long, long time ago... About five hundred years ago, there lived a queen in the old castle... You know, the one on the hill, a bit outside town? Well, there lived that queen, and she was very beautiful, and very young. She had just married the king who owned the castle in spring, and now, a year later, in autumn, she was pregnant and about to give birth.
“So she did give birth. But you need to know that both the queen and the king had very fair skin and hair, and blue, blue eyes. As blue as the ocean or the sky. The baby-girl, however, had dark hair and dark eyes, and so she was accused of cheating on her husband. She swore that she was innocent, but the king didn’t believe her. So he took the child away, and locked her in a prison cell where she starved to death. She always begged to see her child, or at least to be told what happened to her, but she was ignored. Before she died, she made one last request: To see her child. Again, she was denied. A day later, she was found dead in her cell.
“Now, the legend goes, that ever since, she haunts the castle and this village, searching for her baby-girl. And once in a while, she steals a girl with dark hair and dark eyes away from its home and takes her to where spirits are”
I turned on the flashlight, letting it shine right into my face. The silence around me turned into exited, frightened whispers
“That was scary”
“Scaredy-cat! It was great!”
“It was… But I am still going to have nightmares tonight!”
“Hey, guys, where is Tania?”
The voices died down, there was groping in the dark, and the flashlights turned on. I, too, let mine sweep through the room. Four girls stared at me with huge, frightened eyes. The girl with the black hair and black eyes was gone.

Chrissy1000
Private E-1

Postby Chrissy1000 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:19 pm

Mom, shadow bunnies really? lame. When will cable be back on? said my 16 year old son Nick. Michelle my 18 year old said "yeah and internet". Tell us a story about something that you and your brothers did when you were teenagers. I have two older brothers Mike who is 8 years older and Johnny who is 3 years older then me. Well once we played this joke on Margie our ..before I even got another word out Nick interrupted me and said in a serious tone "no...tell us about what happened to Sue".
Nick you know I promised Uncle Johnny never to discuss that incident with anyone. Mom, they both begged, you promised one day you would tell us what happened. I think we can handle it.
I don't think this is a good idea, no lights and its storming out. We will all be afraid to go to sleep, I said. Ok, I will tell the story but I will never discuss it again.
When we were kids..god it was a long time ago. I was about 16 and Johnny was 19 we had the whole basement apartment to ourselves at grandma's. It was about two years after our dad died. Johnny's girlfriend Sue practically lived with us. She was kind of crazy, to say the least. She said she thought there was a ghost in the basement and frequently talked to it. This totally freaked me because my dad died in the basement under difficult circumstances. I just ignored her most of the time. Since my father died we had no supervision, occasionally we did seances and played with a ouiji board but nothing ever seemed to happen.
But one fall night something happened that seemed to trigger a turn of events, for the worse.
One night as usual we were sitting around the kitchen table. Back then the laundry room was unfurnished, dimly lit by a single hanging light bulb, an old laundry sink in the corner, peeling blue painted walls and located around along one wall was three sheds; creepy storage areas with dirt floors that I was always afraid of. Johnny began to tease Sue. He told her I was psychic and I could do that game where you guess the cards being held up. She and I both laughed. He threw a handful of change onto the table. I played along out of sheer boredom. First coin- what year he asked me. I said 1982. He turned it over and said "wow right". Beginners luck, Sue she said in disbelief. Next one 1976..this time he looked shocked right again..I said-1981, 1987, 1988. “Ok how are you doing this he asked? I don't know! I said kind of scared. He mixed them up and again asked what year? I fired off, 1981, 1988, 1987, 1982, 1980, 1980..over and over- I was right. Then I got scared and said this game is over. That night in bed I felt uneasy and imagined a dark cloud looming over us.
A couple nights later I woke up at 2 am, I heard Sue get up. I saw her walk by my room in the darkness. I didn't think much about it. She was probably just going to the bathroom. But then I heard the back door to the laundry room creak open, I got up to see what she was doing, I felt a mounting fear grow in the pit of my stomach as I saw her disappear into the laundry room. Through the door way I could see her standing in the darkness by the first shed. She had opened the shed door and she was whispering. I just stood there frozen. Nick, who I forgot was even in the room at this point, gasped "what mom! what was she saying?" I couldn’t tell, then she turned around and stared at me blankly from the darkness. I was so creeped out I could barely even talk, "Sue...what are you doing?". She shut the door and pushed past me and went into the bathroom. I ran into my room, locked the door and slept with the lights on that night. The next day I told my brother, he said I was crazy.
That night and almost every night after that little things seemed to happen. Everyone seemed agitated including me. One Friday, I was home alone and I had this horrible dream. Sue dragged me in the shed and did a spell for protection. She grabbed my wrist and sliced it with a razor blade, the blood dripping down into the dirt floor. I started screaming no, no. The next thing I knew my brother was shaking me and yelling at me, " what the hell is wrong with you?" I was standing by the shed in the dark; apparently I was sleep walking.
Things seemed to be spinning out of control. I was having nightmares every night. Sue was acting really strange, she told my mother that a man lives in the basement with us and she talks to him every day. It didn't seem like it was our father. Did Sue conjured up something by talking to this ghost every night, or was she crazy?
The last straw was one night Johnny was out, I was asleep. I woke up to find Sue sitting on the edge of my bed talking to someone. She was talking to someone and it was not me. I lost it, I started yelling at her. She just sat there staring at me. After that night I moved in with my sister, I felt bad but I couldn't take it anymore. Something bad was going to happen. Every time I brought it up to my mom or Johnny they got angry and defensive, they didn't want to believe it.
About a month later I was horrified when my mother called with bad news. Sue had tried to kill herself in the bathroom with a razor blade. I couldn't help but feel guilty. Her family put her into some type of institution. She would not speak to me or my brother about the incident. After a while she stopped returning his calls. We agreed never to talk about it again. We also removed the sheds.

theSkilled
Private E-1

Postby theSkilled » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:11 am

"Alright Sally and Bill, if you're not amused with shadow puppets, I have a scary story." Now, of course, I am too old and lame for scary stories, says my eldest son, Bill, who is sixteen. Sally is only nine, but she may even be worse behaved than my rowdy teenager. Bill rolled his eyes defiantly as if to tell me I was just wasting his time. Sally figgited impatiently to listen. "Once," I began with a ghoulish voice that made Sally giggle and Bill huff with annoyance, "on a night similar to right now, a storm raged on as trees rapped on windows. A howling gust picked up and leaves danced in the air as if they were witches on broomsticks. On that night, two little unsuspecting children who were unmindful to their mother, decided to cause mayhem instead of drifting off into sleep. If only they had listened, because dying in your sleep is much more painless than dying while awake." As soon as I said that, lightning cracked and Sally shrieked. "The children played all night but something, somewhere in the corner of their house, was watching them as it lurked in the shadows. The next day the creature got them!" I had yelled with such ferociousness that my children both yelped.

"W-what was the creature?" Sally stuttered.

"It was hideous; small but deadly. The thing knows you know that it is there. And if you have forgotten about it, that's the time when it gets you." Both of my children ran into their beds and I chuckled to myself. That creature was their unfinished homework.

silentwriter3
Private E-1

Postby silentwriter3 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:52 pm

hello, that was really good. that made me want to pee my pants. You have me even scared. I thought she was actually going to come to the house. good job

silentwriter3
Private E-1

Postby silentwriter3 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:17 pm

Nora hate storms. She hate driving in it because of the fact that it’s hard to see the lines on the roads. She pulled of the expressway after just finishing a long shift at work. I was so tired from work and the drive that I couldn’t wait to sit down in front of the TV. She pulled into her building’s parking lot just after 11.30 pm. She got into her parking lot and turned the car off. She grabbed her bag and locked the car. She headed for the door to go inside. She walked over to the elevator and pushed the down button.
The elevator stopped after a few minutes. She turned to see that no one was around her after having the feeling like there was someone around. But Nora was alone. The doors opened on the elevator and she got on. She pushed ninth floor button. She stepped back to the other wall and grabbed her cell phone out of her pocket. She felt like there was something in the elevator with her but she could see the whole elevator from where she was standing. She shook it off and looked back at her phone. She looked up to see that she was at the fifth floor. Just as she was getting to the next floor, the power went off because of the storm. She was stuck in the elevator alone.
Nora pushed the security button but nothing was happening. She didn’t want to panic but she was starting to get worried. She pushed the button on her cell phone to see if she had any cell service. poop unicorns and rainbows!
She walked back to the middle of the elevator and took a few deep breaths. She really didn’t want to be alone in the small confined box. As she stood there, she heard a loud thud coming from the top of the elevator. She looked up but couldn’t see anything. She had gotten a lot nervous because it was getting colder with the second. She was now walking coming front the top of the elevator. But she shook it off thinking that it was one of the other tenants from the building. Nora moved into the corner and sat down wrapping her arms around her knees. The walking finally stopped. Nora sat there looking around the dark elevator. As she sat there waiting for the elevator and power to turn on she could feel breathing on her.
“Hello?” She asked out loud. There was no answer. “Who’s there?” Still no answer.
She reached her hands out in front of her and moved them around. But didn’t feel anyone. There was no one there. She was very confused now. The elevator was now getting colder and colder as it got closer to midnight. Nora looked down at her cell phone that was now completely drained. She didn’t understand what was going on, she had charged it this morning before work. She sat down there really nervous about not getting out of the elevator.
Nora could feel the cold sensation lift and now turning really hot. She started to take off some articles of clothing. She wanted to get out of there so bad. She wanted to be in her apartment. It had been silence for a few minutes until out of no where she could hear loud pounding from inside the elevator. It was getting louder and louder with every second. She started screaming as it stopped. She covered her eyes and put her head in her lap as she continued to scream.
The next thing she knew the elevator was dropping. It was as if the cable gave out and she dropped down. The whole building heard her screaming. They could feel the scream go down their spines.
That would mark the anniversary of 21 year old Nora Janes' death. They found her two weeks later when they were looking in the basement spa.

LMGilbert
Lieutenant

Postby LMGilbert » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:00 am

- deleted, as I may be submitting this story in the near future -

Previous

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges