[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Create a New Human-esque Race - 3/1 : Writing Prompts and Challenges • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Create a New Human-esque Race - 3/1

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
kangmandi
Private E-1

Re: Create a New Human-esque Race - 3/1

Postby kangmandi » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:32 am

What a great forum. I'm glad to be here, sharing with everyone. Thanks for the compliment!

EmilyLogan
Private E-1

Re: Create a New Human-esque Race - 3/1

Postby EmilyLogan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:42 am

Pamwrites
Private E-1

RE: Create a New Human-esque Race - 3/1

Postby Pamwrites » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:01 am

I closed my eyes to fall asleep and saw him once again. I was only four when I first saw and met him.

It was cold, trees were bare and the snow was several feet high. So high I felt as if I could climb

down and step safely onto the mound beneath my bedroom window. Then I realized I was actually

stepping onto the snow beneath my window and he was helping me. He held my hand as we walked

among the silent trees with only the light of the moon giving way to the secrets of the path. His hair

looked soft and thick almost touchable, his eyes so kind yet nothing like I've seen before. His fingers

wrapped mine as if they were mimicking mine, almost like a mirror image of mine. His voice was but a

whisper in my ear telling me which part of the path to follow. We came upon an entrance with light

spilling out around its' door. The night hid whatever the door was connected too. I was blinded by

the intense light spilling out as the door slowly opened. The warmth of his hand was all I could sense

as it pulled me into the light. As I felt my feet step onto the floor and heard the door behind me click

shut, my eyes opened to see several new eyes gazing upon mine.  Eyes just like his.  Eyes with no

pupils, and fingers with no nails. They spoke but without moving their lips, and every pair of lips were

the color of rose. And I realized I couldn't tell which were male and which female. Their skin sparkled

as if someone had dumped a ton of silver sparkles on them. And everyone's hair was thick and flowing

almost to the top of their shoulders, just as his. Several minutes went by, then someone handed me

a mirror...and I saw I too had no pupils, my hair was thick and flowing down to my shoulders, the

sparkles from my skin reflected off the mirror, my lips were rose and the fingers that grasped the the

mirror had no nails. I spoke to them but my lips didn't move.

Energy from living forms was their fuel. By simply touching a plant or rock or water, all that contained

energy they could extract its energy and refuel. Because of this they valued all that was living. They

believed in peace, never harming another no matter what.

My protector and maker was the one that led me here and he will come for me again when it's time.

The shape of my face was exactly like his as well as my hands. I was his only one. And he was my

only one. They stayed hidden so not to be exploded by man. They had lost me when someone had

broken in and stole me away. My difference from them wouldn't show until I reached puberty, so I

was safe until then....

chris1711
Private E-1

Postby chris1711 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:09 am

PURPLE REIGN

The Nadri of Jartan Slut IV are bipedal, vaguely humanoid and photosynthesise. We lost Traverman when he was sent to the court of King Oozissen of the Nadri as a hostage to study their customs.
The Nadri lived in the uplands of the mountain range near the landing site. When we first happened across them we wondered how they lived given that there was a shortage of foliage up there; just rolling brown and yellow rocks and a few bent bushes and thorny cacti. Ilsen, Coote and I had taken the hoverbuggy up there. Earlier parties had found humanoids up there but discovered nothing about them.
When they started to come out of their caves we thought they were interested in us but by and large they just lay around, naked, not unseemly in a kind of purple-skinned way.
“Looks like a bunch of guys and gals at the beach,” Coote said. All they needed was transistor radios and it would be a twentieth-century period piece.
We drove a bit closer but they did not react, focussed on whatever it was they were doing.
Then after two hours and 36 minutes - we timed them - they went back inside.
Now we know, after months of careful contact, that they really were soaking up the rays, like lizards or plants.
Traverman, the linguist and anthropologist, volunteered to go up there and Captain Hong in discussion with the chief scientist agreed.
It was only when we found a bark-wrapped Nadri male arriving at our camp that we realised what was going on.
It was a peace offering. The Nadri male - whose name we transcribed as Oohyabuggagerroffme - explained that the arrival of Traverman had been seen as an earnest that we were not going to attack the Nadri. So long as Oohya and Nadri were in each other’s camps there would be no warfare.
“What would they attack us with in the opposite case?” Ilsen asked.
Oohya had not the language to explain but given a drawing pad drew pictures of unlikely things, six-legged tusked brutes, all shoulder and shove.
“Underground,” Ilsen asked; “in the caves?”
“In the caves,” said Oohya.
This perturbed me. As head of security it was going to be a tricky affair to balance.

Thirty-six hours later while we were still trying to work out a way to get Traverman back, I was walking down a corridor when I heard a noise from Coote’s room. We were all used to sexual behaviour between members of the expedition - there was no risk of breeding, after all.
Oohya was on all fours on Coote’s bed and Coote was kneeling behind him.
I moved swiftly on.
Next day I called Coote in to my quarters.
“Who instigated sexual relations between you and the hostage?” I asked him.
“Er, he did,” Coote said.
“I’ll be asking him,” I said.
“You can,” said Coote. “He came into my room and knelt down in front of me on the bed. A gentleman can’t refuse.”
“Which causes me to wonder,” I said, “if the same thing is happening to Traverman in the caves.”
So I asked Oohya, who didn’t seem fazed by his frantic nocturnal sodomy.
“No,” he said, “it is not necessary. The King does not make use of the hostage. It is forbidden in fact.”
“And the Queen?”
“The Queen?” Oohya said horrified. “She who gives birth to us all? Er, no. You do not want, I think you say, to go there.”
“You mean the Queen ... is the mother of all of you?” I asked.
“Oh yes,” said Oohya, composure regained. “She lives in the breeding chamber and gives birth constantly. Some of us are chosen to breed - “ he shuddered - “others not. I am not.”
I wondered about that cave, and the great Queen within it, like a queen bee or a naked mole rat. Traverman among them becoming more and more weirded out by these photosynthesising purplies. I told Ilsen and she said they were ‘eusocial’, which means they have evolved to different kinds of being - workers, drones, breeders. Like honeybees. Maybe like people who these days divide into starmen and planet-dwellers. What starmen breed, after all? None of us. We accept that deep space radiation makes us sterile. It is a choice. Perhaps we will evolve onward, to become like the purplies, not the photosynthesising, but adapting, diverging still further, until a few breed and the rest of us drive out into space.

ewesleyx80
Private E-1

Postby ewesleyx80 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:53 pm

Davis Carnby flipped through the dossier, taking the time to look over the particulars, and the specifics. As he did so, he ran a finger through his thinning peppery gray hair. He never bothered to do a comb-over, like many men tend to do; he was unashamed of his age and was proud of the fact that he lived long enough to see his hair thin out. In his line of work, life expectancies of the employees tend to be a bit low.
Once he was done looking the dossier over from cover to cover, he slid it away from him, leaned back in his high-backed chair, looked across his oak desk at the man sitting opposite of him.

Dan Quimbee.

Dan was young looking for his age of fifty three...two years older than Davis. Dan's eyes had never paled nor showed that typical yellowing around the edges when folks age. They were the same bright gray they were back in the Academy. They stayed the same even through the Gulf Wars, Afghanistan, the Sudan civil war. Davis' visage had shown wear after all that blood and guts, where Dan seemed to just soak it up. Perhaps that's why he was the Executive Officer of Operations. Someone with big brass nuts could only run this machine. Dan crossed his legs; left foot resting on his right knee. He lit a cigar, puffed a few times.
"So? What's your take on it?"

Davis sighed, wiped his brow, in spite of it not being sweaty; tended to be his normal habit when heavy subjects challenged him. "poop unicorns and rainbows, Dan. How the hell did we let this get through the wringer?"
"Doesn't matter. Damage control is the mission now. Tell me, can we repair this? Clean it up?"
"Not a chance. They made a public appearance. That would be impossible to discount. It was obvious what their intentions were."
Dan nodded. "Full disclosure."

"Full disclosure."

Dan puffed a few times more. The smoke was aromatic. "They look like us, learned our languages, they're vegans mostly, require water like us, but it appears that they only have either white or bright red hair, their blood cell counts are higher as is their metabolism. They heal fast, process thoughts quicker, and have some limited psychic abilities though."

Davis motioned to the dossier. "They came from the Orion Belt. Damned near fifty seven lifetimes away. In planet-sized ships." He opened the folder symbolically, shut it. "They mean to colonize us."
"That's what our intel is saying."
"poop unicorns and rainbows."
"They believe in some kind of deity...monotheism. The symbols on their ships, the formations they flew in, all point to that. They want to convert us to their practice. It says so in the dossier. They broadcasted a world-wide message when they arrived. Convert or...."
"....Be consumed. They mean to kill those who don't take their side. Sounds familiar."
"Too goddamed familiar. The Crusades ring a bell?"
"We don't even have the tech to fight them off. They can shut our defenses down like we can flip a light switch. Any fighter that gets near their ships shuts off and freefalls. We lost thirty men from that."

Dan nodded again. "Your call, Mr. President."

Davis shook his head. Looked down and then out of the window. The sky was dark from the shadow of the alien EMV floating a few thousand feet above. Several more could be seen in the distance. Davis returned his gaze to Dan.

"Never thought that there would be guerrilla warfare right here on our home turf."

degregm
Private E-1

The Googolac

Postby degregm » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:40 pm

“We'll begin today's lecture with a few notes from last week's discussion. I received several messages from my graduate classes requesting clarification on some of the habits of the indigenous Googolac peoples of the southernmost region of Cantopia, the seventh quadrant of Jupiter's Europa.”
The professor paused momentarily, out of habit, to readjust his bifocals. However, his bifocals had been replaced with implantation not two weeks before. His fingers bumped clumsily against his bare face. Johnny-Mouth-Breather chuckled audibly in the twelfth row. The professor scratched his well manicured beard before activating the Chalkboard, Copyright 2025 Duracell Industries. The first photo to pop-up was that of a “female” Googolac stretching her fins against the darkened ice of the frozen Europa sea scape. Last week the professor had lectured on the mating rituals of the Googolac, highlighting the methods of sexual reproduction amongst the Cantopian peoples.
“As we remember from Monday's discussion, the 'female' Googolac is designated as such only by the culture's decision to refer to her as 'female'. Googolacs are born initially without sexual organs, once they have become established in their communities they decide which gender they wish to pursue and adapt, both mentally and physically, to the particular role's characteristics. Before choosing a gender the Googolacs' appearance mimics that of a terrestrial Harbor Seal and the Googolac young are treated as such. Before picking a gender all children are considered “sub-Googolac” and will be awarded proper participation in society once they have begun to grow sexual organs. Adult Googolacs vary in appearance, elder 'males' resemble something like a Tiger Shark. Rows of useless salient teeth often develop as a method for wooing younger Googolac females into mating. Googolacs possess the ability to morph their physical features to match those of almost any organic creature and some non-organic creatures. ....Does anyone have any further questions on this topic before we move on?”
A sea of wandering eyes, many fluttering on the brink of sleep, stared blankly back toward the podium.
“Okay then, let's recap. First discovered in 2019, by the space probe Miletus, the Googolac people were the first form of civilized alien life discovered in this solar system. Located deep under Europa's icy crust, the Googolac dwelling rivals the great structures of ancient Greece and Rome. All structures created by the ever-growing populations of Googolac people are carved from silicate rock and iron.
'Possessing both gills and lungs, as well as flippers and arm-like appendages, the Googolacs spend half of their time in the deep European seas and the other half on top of the ice.
'The Googolac's complex bodily systems process and filter bacteria and plankton from the ocean around them, converting this sustenance into usable energy. Without ever developing the need to ingest their food, the Googolac people have a great deal of free time.
'Because the Googolac have no need to compete for food or shelter (all buildings are shared by communities of like-minded Googolacs) they have no concept of politics or religion. To the Googolacs existence is never questioned and therefore they feel no need to compose elaborate creation stories. Instead these underwater peoples spend their time playing swimming games and competing in Ice-racing, a silly concept in our society as their 'races' have no winners or losers. In fact, most Googolacs never even complete an entire Ice-race during their century long existence. They will adapt to absorb nutrients from the surface and race each other indefinitely until their existence wanes to a cease.”
“What the heck's the point?” Johnny-Mouth-Breather barked without raising a hand.
The professor peaked up from over the podium and said, “There is no word for point in Googolac, only one for pleasure.”

Jennajaye
Private E-1

Postby Jennajaye » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:11 pm

Whenever a human stumbles upon my races' island, they call us savages, beasts, and mutants. We are just like him. We just look different. We are the Jamjamns. Our island is in the middle of a large ocean that none of the "others" ever visit. Our island is full of vegetation, humidity, and natural resources. My people are just like you, but we have pink hair, slender lips, our average height in 9 feet, and our skin color is golden. We speak the English language because the Englishmen are from our descent, but they treat us as if we are cannibals and that we are from a different planet. We are human. We are loving. We are the Jamjamns.

Previous

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges