A Good Read 10/16-10/22

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Ihavefoundthelight
Private E-1

RE: A Good Read 10/16-10/22

Postby Ihavefoundthelight » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi! I'm new to this website but I saw this prompt and I wanted to anwser.

Okay, well there are several books that have inspired my writing. But one of the most influential was Fahrenheit 451. This book inspired my greatly because of how well it was written and the plot was clear and interesting. Everything about the book drew me in, from character dynamics to the descripton and symbolism. It taught me to appreciate books more, now I read quite a lot more. I thought I would hate the book at first, it was an english class assignment. but it ended up being amazing.

Thanks for this thread, I really enjoyed sharing.... :)

Ihavefoundthelight
Private E-1

Postby Ihavefoundthelight » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi! I'm new to this website but I saw this prompt and I wanted to anwser.

Okay, well there are several books that have inspired my writing. But one of the most influential was Fahrenheit 451. This book inspired my greatly because of how well it was written and the plot was clear and interesting. Everything about the book drew me in, from character dynamics to the descripton and symbolism. It taught me to appreciate books more, now I read quite a lot more. I thought I would hate the book at first, it was an english class assignment. but it ended up being amazing.

Thanks for this thread, I really enjoyed sharing.... :)

ironvic
Private E-2

Postby ironvic » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:00 pm

I read and re-read Christopher Buckley's "Steaming to Bamboola." It's about weird, maladjusted and likable characters manning a tramp freighter on a course to nowhere in particular. the S.S. Columbianna steams to wherever the cargo takes her and gets there in offbeat fashion. Next to "The Cruel Sea," "Steaming to Bamboola" is one of my favorite books. It reminds me of similar working conditions in a life where the job took you along for the ride and you worked with people who would be out of place anywhere else.

I worked for several years as an ambulance driver/EMT for private ambulance services in Los Angeles. It's the same kind of world as the merchant mariner's. You never know where your next cargo will take you, or where you will take it. Beyond the high energy lights and sirens was a life of nonstop drudge. Heavy patients, human excrement, danger spiced with vomit and blood. The hours were long, I once worked 30 straight 24 hour shifts. Anyone who dared climb behind the wheel of the Cadillac ambulance was in for a life changing experience.

The ambulance attendant who first trained me was perceptive and expert in the craft of saving lives and he administered good doses of competence to his patients. He was also a junkie.

The guy who drove on my first Code-3 call was a moonlighting title insurance office worker with a bad case of asthma. Whenever he got excited his asthma kicked in. He sucked nonstop on his inhaler on that first run with me. Barely breathing, with had one hand on the steering wheel, his left foot on the siren switch and that damn inhaler jammed into his mouth. One day, I'll have to write a book, using "Steaming to Bamboola" as my inspiration.

Imogine
Private E-1

Re: A Good Read 10/16-10/22

Postby Imogine » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:26 pm

Ever since I learned how to write I wanted to be a writer. In first grade I wrote a book about my cat and I hope one day to get it published into a children's book. But I guess you could say the one author that truly has inspired me to want to write is Sophie Kinsella. I LOVE how fun and exciting she can create a story and capture my interests. I have read so many books growing up that I LOVED. But her books are the ones that got me wanting to get my stories out there.

Imogine
Private E-1

Postby Imogine » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:26 pm

Ever since I learned how to write I wanted to be a writer. In first grade I wrote a book about my cat and I hope one day to get it published into a children's book. But I guess you could say the one author that truly has inspired me to want to write is Sophie Kinsella. I LOVE how fun and exciting she can create a story and capture my interests. I have read so many books growing up that I LOVED. But her books are the ones that got me wanting to get my stories out there.

dusty45
Private E-1

Postby dusty45 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:07 am

I love Stephen Kings books. Im reading "It" right now and there are many parts of it that grip me so much that i feel I'll have a heart attack everytime i hear a noise. His characters are vividly portrayed. His style of writing is just so potent and believable, it's hard not to get sucked into his stories!

FanFictionFreak
Private E-1

Postby FanFictionFreak » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:52 pm

The Harry Potter Novels inspired me to become a writer because I realized that writing was an art. You could create anything you wanted and just be free with your imagination.

FanFictionFreak
Private E-1

Postby FanFictionFreak » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:52 pm

The Harry Potter Novels inspired me to become a writer because I realized that writing was an art. You could create anything you wanted and just be free with your imagination.

silverweed
Private E-1

Postby silverweed » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:07 am

Green eggs and ham...a genius book :)

Lauren.
Private E-1

Postby Lauren. » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:53 am

The book that first inspired me to read more was Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman. The way she writes, the detail and description she goes into is truly fantastic. The historical facts and research she clearly puts into her work brings it to life. Im sure that her book would inspire many more budding authors to write.

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges