A Good Read 10/16-10/22

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
dgford
Colonel

RE: A Good Read 10/16-10/22

Postby dgford » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:21 pm

The writer's book was called WHAT IF and was full of writing prompts. It was what set my wrinting wheels in motion, and I haven't stopped since that time.

Where eagles fly,
Don

Solace
Private E-1

Postby Solace » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:58 am

I read two books by Nicholas Sparks. "At First Sight." and "Dear John." They both were very profound and I found myself wanting to create such vivid imagery and create such powerful emotions in others. I have been wanting to write prior to these books; however, I wanted to take on more of a concrete voice in my own writing.

I wanted to write before I even picked up fiction.

serenitysfate
Private E-1

Re: A Good Read 10/16-10/22

Postby serenitysfate » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:42 pm

A book that I am currently reading has really inspired me. It is Teacher Man by Frank McCourt. He is so honest and open and that makes me identify with him in a way I really can't describe. I am also more willing to be open in my writing as well. I write to tell a story, but it seems that McCourt writes to be himself. I want that kind of power in my own right as well.

MaskedWriter
Private E-1

Postby MaskedWriter » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:31 pm

I read everyone of the Nancy Drew books. Our library was one block away from my house and I was a constant patron! I loved the way books could take you on such adventures and eventually that caused me to write adventures for others. Now I read a little of everything, I'm like Johnny 5, more input!

sanista
Private E-1

Postby sanista » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:05 am

four words: victor malarek - the natashas. i wasn't really inspired to write until i read that book. true, i have read many other books before. aside from books, i've read countless national geographic and reader's digest and the list goes on. the natashas inspired my love for journalism and further ignited my passion for investigative journalism. however, as shameful as i may sound, i have yet to embark on that journey and believe me i still intend to. life is short, why live it being selfish?

Renegade72
Private E-1

Postby Renegade72 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:08 pm

Many books have inspired me to want to become a writer like the Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys books. They were so action-packed and thrilling to read as a kid, it helped me escape the boring reality of my life and then made me want to make my own stories. I started writing everything that came to my head down on paper and thought it was a lot of fun. If I had to choose a specific book, the book that inspired me to become a writer is Buddha's Money by Martin Limon. It was a gritty crime noir about two American army officials who work to save a kidnapped nine-year-old Korean girl in Itaewon, SK in the 1970's. It was a really good mystery; filled with action suspense and plenty of twists and turns that are essential to mystery and suspense writing. I want to become an author of young adult suspense fiction. When I'm not writing I do explore other genres like romance, fantasy, and even dystopian books as well. I plan on writing one after I publish some mysteries.

warhoop63
Private E-1

Postby warhoop63 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:54 am

The desire to write does not come from any certain books that I have read. I read very little fiction, it is hard for me to be drawn into the plot of a fictional story. In the back of my mind I know its not real. I would rather read good, true biographys, or accounts of real events, or political opinion works.

In fourth grade I sat next to our book case. I read many biographical accounts of the lives of famous people in history, Abraham Lincoln, Benjamen Franklin, and so forth. Books like Last Man Off Wake Island, and Lois On The Loose, and Under and alone by William Queen draw me in and I feel the anxieity, and tension build in their accounts of real life events.

The desire to write comes from a desire to express my thoughts and feelings about life and my experiences. I have had one piece published in a local motorcycle magizene. It gives my first hand account of my ride on the 2006 Trail Of Tears motorcycle ride, the events of the morning that found me riding alone after my friend had to pull out and go home. Alone time that allowed me to focus my thoughts on what the Native Americans must have felt like, and personal commentary on those events.

Writing, for me, is about communicating my thoughts and obdervations. And trying to relate that emotion to the reader.

dgford
Colonel

Postby dgford » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:14 am

Hi,

Most of the stories I have sold to magazines were true stories of my life.  I commend you on your motorcycle ride.  It is a good cause to get behind, lest others forget.  This country has a tendency of sweeping things like this under the rug.  I predict shortly after this next election, to see more things changed in our textbooks of true history.  CHANGE is good to a point, but the things from our past are being re-written, or they pretend those incidents never happened.  Thanks for keeping the heritage alive and remembered.

Cheers,

Where eagles Soar,

Don (Greywolf)  Seneca Nation. 

Misanthreville
Private E-1

Postby Misanthreville » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:53 am

Anything from Terry Trueman and John Grisham to Ann Rice. In terms of random books, Anthem, Voices of the Blood, Undone, Romeo, etc etc. Why is because I just love the easy going feeling these books allow me to relax to however, I enjoy what it is that I am reading. I think schools concintrate too much on classical novels. Yes they have helped form, mold and shape the literature we have today, but English class should be an analysis and representation of ALL English literature. This inludes temporary novels, which I love to read just as much as classics if they are good.

MingaMae
Private E-1

Postby MingaMae » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:52 am

I don't know if there is a book that I have read that hasn't inspired me. I started reading young. It was something I had watched my mother and grandmother do faithfully. To this day, I've still got my nose in a book, whether its a novel or a book I'm reading to my son.
My favorite of the hundreds I have read will always be The Notebook, by Nicholas Sparks. I must have read it nearly ten times the last few years. Its a good go to book. One that sweeps you away. A more recent favorite would be Rhett Butler's People by Donald McCaig, the other side of the famous story. Both books of which have inspired a great deal of thoughts, which are becoming my first novel. =D

PreviousNext

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges