A Good Read 10/16-10/22

The editors of Writer's Digest provide a weekly Writing Prompt to get your writing going.
Brian
Lieutenant

A Good Read 10/16-10/22

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:56 am

Brian
Lieutenant

A Good Read 10/16-10/22

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:56 am

As writers, we all love to read good books for inspiration. What book inspired you as a writer and why?

Please limit your response to 500 words or fewer.

Hans
Private E-1

RE: A Good Read 10/16-10/22

Postby Hans » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:59 pm

I don't know why these two books inspire me more than others but Fear Nothing and Seize The Night by Dean Koontz. I love the way Koontz uses first person narrative in those books. The main character, Christopher Snow, feels so three dimensional to me. I've read other, more serious books that move me, but these two books by Koontz are so much fun to read. I love the world he created, especially in the second book.

Teena
Private E-1

Postby Teena » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:07 pm

When I was 10 I picked up a 1907 copy of Shepherd of the Hills by Harold Bell Wright and read it three or four times a year for the next 30 years or more. My next favote after that was Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier. I know these books are subject-wise very outdated now, but they are excellent examples of the art of weaving the story and drawing the reader into the world the author has created.

genealogylady27
Private E-1

Postby genealogylady27 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:41 pm

To me a good read started when I was in grade school, probably as early as third or fourth grade, I can remember sitting in class with a Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys book hidden inside my text book. I had the uncanny ability of reading my book, and listening to our teacher at the same time. Which was great for me because I could enjoy reading my beloved books, and travel, which is what I did while reading, placing myself in whatever adventures they were on. This was my way of escape. Escape from my dull non-existent childhood life. I did this for as long as I can remember continuing to choose other authors that led me on paths of higher adventurers, furthering my travels, yet keeping up my grades and continuing my studies. My grandparents were none the wiser. By the time I reached junior high, I had decided I too wanted to share this ability with others I wanted to create, to write, to be able to send others on fantasies, adventurers, allowing them to travel to places they had never been, or places that they might never go. Allow them to escape, their everyday life, whether it be life on the farm, or that of the hustle and bustle of the city. So you see it was not just one book or one author, it has been many along the way, even today, as an adult my taste in reading changes somewhat, but I still love my adventure stories, my mysteries, the challenges, the travels, that broaden my horizons. To me that is what the gift of reading and writing is all about.

thejade
Private E-1

Postby thejade » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:43 pm

I would have to choose: Little Women and An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott, The Ordinary Princess by M.M. Kaye, and Petals in the Wind by V.C. Andrews. "Petals in the Wind" I loved because it was so dramatic and dark and morbid and if-it-ain't-one-thing-it's-another kind of events. It was one of the first books I read that stayed true to life. I love Louisa May Alcott because her work is usually so positive. And "The Ordinary Princess" taught me that it was okay to be myself and eventually staying true to my inner dude would pay off. *thumbs up*

:) ;)

popovic
Lieutenant

Postby popovic » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:46 pm

I was always fussing with words, picking at them and sticking them together in places they didn't really belong, trying to solidify the strange nonsense that was floating around in my head and make it something I could explain to someone who didn't drift off to Pluto at every opportunity.

Then, 20-something years ago, I accidentally found an Englishman who stole a copy of Brideshead Revisited for me, a thank you gift for the Hunter S. I'd given him. Oh, joy. Joy, joy, joy. Evelyn Waugh took these ordinary words and strung them together and there was this sublime ridiculousness, this wonderous contradiction of simplicity enveloping the Great ponderances and I remember clearly holding the book in front of me, like it might suddenly combust with the wonder of its cleverness. I started seeing things through his borrowed eyes, and that's where I found my own sense of the humorous. The only time my writing's worth the bother is when I'm borrowing Evelyn's eyes. Sadly, he never got around to loaning me his ear for the language...and I could've used it, being a bit tone-deaf, m'self...

Gaby18
Private E-1

Postby Gaby18 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:59 am

A book that had inspried me to be a good writer was the book The Giver by Lois Lowry. They way that she brings the characters to life really helps me write creativly and help with all mof my writting. I have read all the books and I would love if i could read more of her work.

Gabriela Hedman

dyedredhead
Private E-1

Postby dyedredhead » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:59 am

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray is my favorite book of all time. I've read it three times in total. As I was growing up, I learned that discriptive writing is good writing and Libba Bray is phenominal. I can't wait until her next book comes out in December.

amber mondell2
Private E-1

Postby amber mondell2 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:02 am

a book that really inspired me to write was twilight. That book was so amazing and its such a good book. Theres so many ideas you can get from it and thats why it helped me so much.

Next

Return to Writing Prompts and Challenges